USB Charging/Data Cables - can't believe I didn't know.

rj144

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I am a very tech literate person. I have lots of gadgets that I know how to use well. I just realized, after years of using these things, there's a difference between a USB charging and data cable. I thought every USB cable can both charge and transmit data, but no.

I was just trying to connect my phone to my computer, but the phone did not show up. It was only charging. I thought it was a USB problem and restarted... same thing. Then I thought it might be the cable, so I switched the cable and it worked. But, then I looked at the cables and the ends are different.

I never knew that and it's weird I didn't.

I am a very tech literate person. I have lots of gadgets that I know how to use well. I just realized, after years of using these things, there's a difference between a USB charging and data cable. I thought every USB cable can both charge and transmit data, but no.

I was just trying to connect my phone to my computer, but the phone did not show up. It was only charging. I thought it was a USB problem and restarted... same thing. Then I thought it might be the cable, so I switched the cable and it worked. But, then I looked at the cables and the ends are different.

Every cable I've ever owned did both. I didn't know that either. I knew there were different types though lol.

I knew this cause the cheap after market charging cables I buy never let my phone get recognized by my PC
Never looked into it so I didnt know there was an actual thing called a data cable though

In my expereince every charging cable for my phone has worked as a data transfer cable.

Found that out when trying Android Auto. Thought it didnt work. Got the right cable and voila

Technically, these aren't USB cables, they're two wire cables wired to USB form factor connectors. USB is a data communications (and hardware interface) standard. Without the data lines, its not really USB - just cheap cable manufacturers saving on copper and taking advantage of the fact that power is only on two of the lines.

Even the cheap ones I’ve bought have always done both.

The charging only cables are the ones that always come with other things like power banks for phones. I'm not buying these cables.

The charging only cables are the ones that always come with other things like power banks for phones. I'm not buying these cables.

That makes sense - they're probably labeled specifically 'charging cables included!' instead of USB cables.

https://www.dignited.com/50330/usb-data-cable-vs-usb-charging-cable/

Explains why every cheap cable I've bought didn't work and Apple ones did.

<mma4>

Back