USA Judo and UFC team up

CajunJudoka

Judo Brown BJJ Brown
@Blue
Reaction score
Hope this helps but I don't think it will with Dana hating grapplers. http://imgur.com/NYiNEtU

NYiNEtU

Doubt it will do anything to help Judokas cross over to MMA tbh

wonder if Ronda had anything to do with that

"USA Judo and UFC team up" = "USA Judo pays UFC a shit ton of money for ad placement and magazine covers"

This is not the UFC embracing judo all of a sudden. USA Judo simply outbid USA Wrestling

What is the attitude of Judokas towards MMA?

It is my understanding that Kano was not in favor of prizefighting (it leads to a thuggish element) so many judo traditionalist dislike mma.

Fuck Dana should lobby for leg grabbing techniques in US competitive Judo since he apparently likes wrestling so much.

I'm happy to see any partnership/working together in MMA and Judo.

It is my understanding that Kano was not in favor of prizefighting (it leads to a thuggish element) so many judo traditionalist dislike mma.

Kano was not a fan of prize fighting. Most of the kodokan did not appreciate kimura's vale tudo matches.

I think some modern judo guys like MMA. Though I think the general sentiment from the IJF is not that friendly towards MMA.

Kano was not a fan of prize fighting. Most of the kodokan did not appreciate kimura's vale tudo matches.

I think some modern judo guys like MMA. Though I think the general sentiment from the IJF is not that friendly towards MMA.

My sensei is an old school rokudan, and he LOVES to see high level judo in MMA.

The Lombard/Shields fight impressed him.

Wouldn't it be awesome if Jui Jitsu had a nonprofit governing body in the US like judo has instead of a for profit company pretending to be the WGB? Imagine all the cool shit like this it could do for the sport.

My sensei is an old school rokudan, and he LOVES to see high level judo in MMA.

The Lombard/Shields fight impressed him.

I am sure some old school people like it. But from what I understand IJF people dont really like it. Ishii's mma career was frowned upon by Japan's judo.

I know guys like Teddy Riner are not big fans of MMA.

I am not saying every single old school judo guy is against MMA but I think there are more guys against it then more guys for it.

the only thing Judo loves more than being up its own ass is resenting others for not joining them.

What is the attitude of Judokas towards MMA?

As you'd expect, it varies. I'd say roughly half and half, and the younger the more likely they like it.

Considering that even with free MMA you only get a few million viewers of MMA out of 300 million Americans (about 1%), I'd say the percentage of judoka who like MMA is much higher than national average.

Probably at least half the judoka I know watch at least some MMA, and probably a quarter buy one or two UFC PPV's a year - though not many really follow it. For instance, even living in Canada, most of the judoka I know couldn't tell you who GSP is, even if they watch some MMA (what they watch tends to be random, which makes for odd conversations with them - they'll talk about some MMA fighter I've never heard of, but can't name any current UFC champs). And no, GSP is not a household name in Canada; just about every Canadian has heard of Gretzky or Crosbie, whether they watch hockey or not, but only people who follow MMA have heard of GSP.

I suspect that the Ultimate Fighter turned a lot of older (my age :icon_cry2) judoka off of MMA; most of my arguments about MMA with other judo coaches revolve around TUF antics not the sport itself. Their complaint is that it reflects badly on all combat sport; I disagree (its a reality show, what do you expect?), but that's what I hear.

The MMA fighters that are better known to judoka are (shockingly :D) ex-judoka. Yoshida is probably the best known, followed by Rousey (Rousey's judo credentials are much weaker than Yoshida's, so no surprise there) - though in the USA I suspect Rousey is better known than Yoshida by a long shot, given she's American. Rousey is actually quite unpopular among judoka - see antics above. They dislike her public persona, even if they know much of it is an act.

Overall the aspect of MMA that I hear most complaints about from serious judoka (recreational folk and kids are all over the map) is the showmanship, not the combat itself (which most will admit to finding interesting and even playing around with).

And the IJF of course dislikes it (they'd probably try to ban soccer worldwide if they thought it would increase judo viewership at the Olympics), but are too busy destroying judo to really make much of a fuss over it one way or another.

Last edited:
In Japan and France (the two biggest judo nations) MMA is frowned upon by the representative bodies. In fact the French Judo Federation and All Japan Judo Federation do not want any association with MMA. MMA competitions are illegal in France. In addition Teddy Riner the face of French and International Judo has in the past lashed out against MMA or free fight as they call it in France.

I don't really care what the IJF's stand is on this issue but as of today they don't want anything to do with MMA. Knowing how fickle they are this may change in the future. Like previous posters mentioned Kano the founder and father of Judo had a strong dislike with anything related to prize fighting. He distanced himself from Kimura once the later became involved with prize fighting to the point of freezing his Kodokan rank.

Maeda was a prizefighter as well.

Back