USA Jiu-Jitsu

Folker

White Belt
Reaction score
I was surfing around last night and came across USA Jiu-Jitsu (About The USA Jiu Jitsu Organization). What's the opinion of the BJJ community of this group? Do you think a non profit governing body will work as far as standardizng rules and making tournaments less expensive?

I'm still strongly against the "goal" of getting BJJ into the Olympics.

why would u now want bjj in the olympics? too much exposure?

No, I have no problem with exposure. I just don't want the sport/martial art to be ruined or watered down.

Here's some of my posts from other threads so that I don't have to rehash it...

Let's remember that bjj and judo have a common root that split not too long ago in history. And when judo became an Olympic sport, they really changed it a lot, and the newaza suffered. So what's gonna happen with bjj, are they gonna ban whatever leglocks are still legal? Make up random rules to supposedly make it more crowd friendly? Make it more like judo? If so, then why even bother? There's already judo.

Basically I don't want the Olympics to do to bjj what it did to Judo, boxing, and wrestling with their rules. I think bjj's strength has been the ability to incorporate all techniques, and I think the Olympics could undo that, even if it does popularize that (which it won't, think how many obscure Olympic sports there are that nobody does). Fact is the Olympics are less relevant than they used to be, despite the ungodly sums of money that are spent on them, and all the pomp and ceremony. Most sports already have world championships on non-Olympic years (bjj included), so the only thing you gain is the cache of saying it's an Olympic sport. Great, you're right up there with curling and synchronized swimming.

Same goes for sub grappling if they do no gi, like the FILA comps that are going on right now. How many techniques you think they're gonna ban? How long after that before people stop training them?

All in all, little to gain, lots to risk. I say screw the Olympics.

I see no reason for it. The Olympics are far less relevant in most sports nowadays, as most competitions have world championships between games. Sub grappling is no exception in this case. Also, say goodbye to half the submissions and say hello to a bunch of rule changes.

They're doing the same with wrestling and boxing, as well as judo. Introducing new and unnecessary rules that ruin the art/sport. Ever wonder why judo sometimes neglects groundwork? Olympics put a heavier emphasis on throws because they are more crowd-pleasing. You can do a triangle in judo but can't pull the head.

Want all that to happen to bjj or sub grappling? I sure as hell don't. The Olympics are far less relevant than they used to be anyway. People can't even name half the events, several are outright ridiculous, the IOC is absurdly corrupt, and BJJ already has annual world championships. Fuck the Olympics.

Well, you know how when you enter a competition, there are different rules for each division? You'd probably be getting the whitebelt rules. No leglocks, no scissor takedowns, no wristlocks, no neck cranks, all that crap. I would be a little more satisfied if they used Abu Dhabi rules, but then again, we already have Abu Dhabi for that, so what's the point?

I agree, same with MMA being introduced into the olympics. Just leave both where they are :)

No, I have no problem with exposure. I just don't want the sport/martial art to be ruined or watered down.

Here's some of my posts from other threads so that I don't have to rehash it...

Its already getting watered down.....but I agree I don't want BJJ to become Olympic sport either.

Back