Social US Women's National Team Just Want To Be Treated Fairly - The Men's Can't Even Qualify For World Cup

I don’t disagree so I’m not sure why you quoted me. I took issue with a claim another poster made that he and millions of other 14 year olds were superior to the USWNT.
I find it plausible that he could have been superior at 14

Here's my take:

* The USWNT is for sure far more successful than the men's side and that is inarguable. (Fwiw, I personally think they're great).

* The USWNT draw in a larger audience domestically while the USMNT draw in a larger audience internationally despite their mediocre success.

* Why? Because mens tournaments are substantially more popular and consequentially profitable than the women's equivalent (ie: $70m profit and 750m viewers for Womens World Cup vs $4b profit and 3.4b viewers for Mens World Cup etc)

* In addition to that and the most important reason: Outside of the World Cup (every 4 yrs) and the Olympics (every 2 yrs), nobody watches the women.

* They bring in far less money annually due to the gigantic popularity gap in the domestic leagues. MLS (which relative to other countries, is a second rate soccer league) consistently draws in big crowds and money while nobody watches the NWSL (National Womens Soccer League).

And that is the crux of this issue. Athlete pay is based on revenue and commercial appeal (spectators and corporate investments), and as long as the NWSL maintains their meager viewership #s then their pay will continue to reflect that regardless of their national team success or whether or not we think these gals deserve it.
Agree with pretty much everything. The first point is completely irrelevant in an equal pay discussion, though. If a minor league team is winning titles while the major league affiliate is missing the playoffs, there is no rationale for million dollar contracts for the minor leaguers. It’s just lesser athletes doing better in a league full of lesser athletes. Now if they were packing stadiums every weekend with equal ticket prices, selling more merchandise, and bringing in more sponsor money—they’d have a good case for it.

Last edited:
I find it plausible that he could have been superior at 14
And millions of others? Gotcha. And it wouldn’t be difficult to figure out the quality of player he was. It’s easy to determine the level of youth teams online. And if he played at the highest level they even keep stats.

I read an article a few weeks back whining that Alex Morgan only makes $3M compared to Messi’s and Ronaldo’s $150M+. A few days later, I was waiting at a bar on a pizza to cook, and the NWSL was on tv.

9-C91-E5-AC-CD87-48-F1-A9-C3-B57383-DDEEDC.jpg

<{you!}>

And millions of others? Gotcha. And it wouldn’t be difficult to figure out the quality of player he was. It’s easy to determine the level of youth teams online. And if he played at the highest level they even keep stats.
dont know about millions but I'd bet thousands. I dont think he'd have to be at the highest level either

I read an article a few weeks back whining that Alex Morgan only makes $3M compared to Messi’s and Ronaldo’s $150M+. A few days later, I was waiting at a bar on a pizza to cook, and the NWSL was on tv.

9-C91-E5-AC-CD87-48-F1-A9-C3-B57383-DDEEDC.jpg

<{you!}>
Not only the NWSL, but Orlando is where Morgan plays.

Attendance stats for 2018:

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2018-nwsl-attendance/

Portland has respectable numbers.

I might have supported them if I liked them, but I just don't. They're just not pleasant people...
This bunch killed it for me. Soccer is my top sport, and watched pretty much every major women’s tournament since ‘95. Rapinoe as the figurehead and Alex Morgan deciding to talk made things insufferable. Watched about 15 minutes of this one— Brazil v. France, long enough to see that female refs suck just as badly as the players.

“Only better.”

{<jordan}

Nothing like ill informed politicians passing legislation based on their ill informed beliefs. Btw, nice dig at the country's men's national team. I'm sure that inspires a sense of unity and goodwill btwn the men & women of US soccer....smh.

Cuomo is a pandering crooked shitbag and him and his family's iron grip on NY politics is the biggest reason as to why NYers are leaving in droves.

She didn't disrespect America and Americans though. I do not consider opposition to the anthem and flag as disrespecting America because the flag, while being many things to many people, is also strongly associated with political ideology and government's behavior. This is true for every country's flag.
Knowing how much it means to veterans don’t you think there would be a better way to protest rather than protesting the flag? The same flag that is draped over coffins of soldiers who have given their lives for us? The significance of this flag is far more attached to the veterans than it is with politics. I think that goes across the board for everyone. I just don’t understand why the flag is targeted knowing how sacred it is To the soldiers.

I have a question for you. Do you have any military in your family, and if you do, do you respect them?

Knowing how much it means to veterans don’t you think there would be a better way to protest rather than protesting the flag? The same flag that is draped over coffins of soldiers who have given their lives for us? The significance of this flag is far more attached to the veterans than it is with politics. I think that goes across the board for everyone. I just don’t understand why the flag is targeted knowing how sacred it is To the soldiers.

I have a question for you. Do you have any military in your family, and if you do, do you respect them?
Nope , no military.
There are veterans who support protesting the anthem.
I don't think it is fair to insist everyone follow 1 side's perception of what the flag represents. People have explained that protesting the anthem / flag is not a protest against the veterans.

This US women's soccer team lost 5-2 to a Dallas boys under 15 team. Do they really generate more money than the men's team?

Back