Social US Women's National Team Just Want To Be Treated Fairly - The Men's Can't Even Qualify For World Cup

Women should support women’s soccer and give them reparations for their lack of pay, due to lack of attendance and lack of viewers. It’s your fault ladies, for not attending the games and for not watching, it’s literally your fault women don’t make as much as men. Don’t tell me you don’t see stadiums full of men supporting the men’s teams, and I think women outnumber men by a few percent, so.............

Step it up ladies, quit letting your fellow women down

The pay scale is set internationally, and womens world-cup makes very little compared to mens world-cup.

I think we all know the answer to a more competitive women’s league

Transgender-woman-in-furious-rant-at-shop-worker-after-he-calls-her-Sir-not-Mam-Facebook-Tom-Smith.00_00_12_23.Still007-e1546003882294.jpg

They already get paid a larger percentage of the revenue they bring in then the men.

This is still not “fair” according to them this is the “wage gap” myth at it core.

As far as the team I don’t care about them after their spokesperson starting running her mouth. If Trump invited them to the White House and any didn’t want to go it would be fine with me.

However her disrespect to America and the flag makes her a shit head and I (and it looks like plenty of people) don’t care about her or the team or then win.

She doesn’t work or play for me or represent me or anyone I know. If the people she does work for are fine with the way she acted I support her right to act that way.

However that doesn’t mean because I legally support her right I have to agree or personally support it.

As far as her or her team mates being an example to girls they are only a bad example and I would and will tell any girls in my family there are much better examples out there to look up as there are.

She didn't disrespect America and Americans though. I do not consider opposition to the anthem and flag as disrespecting America because the flag, while being many things to many people, is also strongly associated with political ideology and government's behavior. This is true for every country's flag.

I totally get why Megan Rapinoe thinks she should be paid like a man, she certainly looks like one.

The female players get about 20 percent of the revenue the women’s World Cup generates. Men’s players get 7 percent of the revenue their World Cup generates. The reason the men make more is that they generate well over four times as much. If anything, the women are overpaid.

To be clear, the women's soccer players have specifically complained about the "gender pay gap" in the FIFA prize money. They want equal pay to the men, even though the men's World Cup earns 50 or 60 times the amount in revenue. We're talking 6 billion vs 100 some million.

With the US teams the pay gap has actually closed in recent years:

According to figures provided by U.S. Soccer, since 2008 it has paid 12 players at least $1 million. Six of those players were men, and six were women. And the women hold their own near the top of the pay scale; the best-paid woman made about $1.2 million from 2008 to 2015, while the top man made $1.4 million in the same period. Some women in the top 10 even made more than their male counterparts over those years.

"The really significant pay gap, and the one that gets most of the press, is in the World Cup payouts. FIFA, the international soccer organization, will give about $400 million to male players in the World Cup, while female players will make around $30 million. When you hear that male players make 10 times what female players make, this is the figure that justifies the claim.

They want it internationally, where the pay is definitely not close to equal. But that inequality, as Forbes explains, is entirely due to the astronomical disparity in revenue.

As Dwight Jaynes pointed out four years ago after the U.S. women beat Japan to capture the World Cup in Vancouver, there is a big difference in the revenue available to pay the teams. The Women's World Cup brought in almost $73 million, of which the players got 13%. The 2010 men's World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion, of which 9% went to the players. The men still pull the World Cup money wagon. The men's World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion in revenue, with the participating teams sharing $400 million, less than 7% of revenue. Meanwhile, the Women's World Cup is expected to earn $131 million for the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams.

So that is $6 billion v. $131 million. The women aren't even in the same universe, in terms of revenue. If the women were paid the same total as the men — $400 million — they would be making nearly four times more than they generate. The men make 7% of their revenue. The women apparently want 400% of theirs. That's absurd, obviously, to say the least.

Megan Rapinoe, humble as always, will settle for just a meager quadrupling of their prize money. But $30 million quadrupled is $120 million. That would be close to 100 percent of their revenue. Again: The men only make 7%. Already, the women are earning around 20%. Indeed, if we want to be "fair" and "equal," we must conclude that the women are overpaid. Or else the men are underpaid. Either way, on an international scale, if there is a gender pay gap, women are the beneficiaries of it. "

Last edited:
She didn't disrespect America and Americans though. I do not consider opposition to the anthem and flag as disrespecting America because the flag, while being many things to many people, is also strongly associated with political ideology and government's behavior. This is true for every country's flag.

Other (and that is the majority) people do see it as disrespectful to America and Americans especially service people and vets.

I will always vote against and never support a law making it or the act of burning a flag against the law. However people that burn the flag are shit heads and I see it as spitting on the graves of the vets and I will treat them as such.

It's in the NBA's interest to promote the sport of basketball, that's why.

So how is it in the NBAs interest to subsidize the WNBA instead of simply promoting its own brand?

WNBA averages >7k live attendance and 400k viewers. If they're truly doing it to promote Basketball then theyret getting a pretty low ROI after 20 yrs of loosing 10+ million per year.

So how is it in the NBAs interest to subsidize the WNBA instead of simply promoting its own brand?

WNBA averages >7k live attendance and 400k viewers. If they're truly doing it to promote Basketball then theyret getting a pretty low ROI after 20 yrs of loosing 10+ million per year.

WNBA reaches viewers NBA doesn't normally.

Basketball is their brand, period. NBA/WNBA, it doesn't matter. NBA is going to have a hand in any sort of basketball project they can.

A couple million out of their billions and billions is nothing compared to creating more basketball fans in the future.

The female players get about 20 percent of the revenue the women’s World Cup generates. Men’s players get 7 percent of the revenue their World Cup generates. The reason the men make more is that they generate well over four times as much. If anything, the women are overpaid.

To be clear, the women's soccer players have specifically complained about the "gender pay gap" in the FIFA prize money. They want equal pay to the men, even though the men's World Cup earns 50 or 60 times the amount in revenue. We're talking 6 billion vs 100 some million.

With the US teams the pay gap has actually closed in recent years:

According to figures provided by U.S. Soccer, since 2008 it has paid 12 players at least $1 million. Six of those players were men, and six were women. And the women hold their own near the top of the pay scale; the best-paid woman made about $1.2 million from 2008 to 2015, while the top man made $1.4 million in the same period. Some women in the top 10 even made more than their male counterparts over those years.

"The really significant pay gap, and the one that gets most of the press, is in the World Cup payouts. FIFA, the international soccer organization, will give about $400 million to male players in the World Cup, while female players will make around $30 million. When you hear that male players make 10 times what female players make, this is the figure that justifies the claim.

They want it internationally, where the pay is definitely not close to equal. But that inequality, as Forbes explains, is entirely due to the astronomical disparity in revenue.

As Dwight Jaynes pointed out four years ago after the U.S. women beat Japan to capture the World Cup in Vancouver, there is a big difference in the revenue available to pay the teams. The Women's World Cup brought in almost $73 million, of which the players got 13%. The 2010 men's World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion, of which 9% went to the players. The men still pull the World Cup money wagon. The men's World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion in revenue, with the participating teams sharing $400 million, less than 7% of revenue. Meanwhile, the Women's World Cup is expected to earn $131 million for the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams.

So that is $6 billion v. $131 million. The women aren't even in the same universe, in terms of revenue. If the women were paid the same total as the men — $400 million — they would be making nearly four times more than they generate. The men make 7% of their revenue. The women apparently want 400% of theirs. That's absurd, obviously, to say the least.

Megan Rapinoe, humble as always, will settle for just a meager quadrupling of their prize money. But $30 million quadrupled is $120 million. That would be close to 100 percent of their revenue. Again: The men only make 7%. Already, the women are earning around 20%. Indeed, if we want to be "fair" and "equal," we must conclude that the women are overpaid. Or else the men are underpaid. Either way, on an international scale, if there is a gender pay gap, women are the beneficiaries of it. "
It’s not about the FIFA prize money. The lawsuit is about USSF, the governing body for the US men and women. I don’t think the USSF has much sway over how FIFA distributes it’s prize money.

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/us-soccer/uswnt-equal-pay-lawsuit/

For the record, I’m not convinced they deserve it. Seems to me they negotiated a contact and now they’re upset the men negotiated a better one.

The players on the WNT take subtle shots at the MNT with comments to the press. If I were a player on the MNT, I’d be tempted to issue a challenge for the right to get paid more. Spot the WNT 3 goals and say if they hold the men off, they get their salary for a year, and continue the tradition every year.

But then again, if any guy said that, they’d be lambasted by the press.

TBH they should be paid less b/c they're boring, and whiny AF. They got beat by a bunch of teenage boys. Make a deal with them—they can get paid the same if they can beat the mens team.

All sports fit with the Entertainment umbrella. All entertainment should be driven by ROI only. You bring in more money you get a bigger piece of the pie. Angelina Jolie draws more than Ethan Hawke, she gets paid more. Period.

No playing on 'sexist' disingenuous leveling to bring other women up to Jolie's or Hawke's level if they are lessor draws.

If the women are generating more money than the men, then they should be getting paid more money.
The info was right there in the first post. They only made more money this one year because if the world cup, every other year men make like twenty times more money.

There is an easy fix to this. Simply adjust the pay, in terms of bonus at calendar year end based on actual results. if the gals have a banner year then they get a big lift in the terms of bonus. But setting their on going pay to a level they almost never achieve (parity to men) outside of a banner year is just silly.

Do these women have no agency? If they are worth more then they can go on strike or otherwise force the owners to pay them more money.

WNBA reaches viewers NBA doesn't normally.

Basketball is their brand, period. NBA/WNBA, it doesn't matter. NBA is going to have a hand in any sort of basketball project they can.

A couple million out of their billions and billions is nothing compared to creating more basketball fans in the future.

You're making the best argument that you can, but the NBA isn't really generating these new fans of the future. If they were then the WNBA would have made a profit at least once in 20 years.

Womens teams are moving out of NBA stadiums to samaller venues. Last year was a record year for WNBA and they still lost 12m.

I'll concede that its pocket change to the NBA, but after 20 years and nearly a half billion in promoting a marginal game most would expect a small profit at some point.

TBH they should be paid less b/c they're boring, and whiny AF. They got beat by a bunch of teenage boys. Make a deal with them—they can get paid the same if they can beat the mens team.

Another suggestion is to try out for the men's team. As far as I know, there is nothing stopping women from trying out. As I have already posted, if women want equal pay to men, then they should play on a men's team if they have the talent to compete with men. Interesting how these entitled women want what men have, but they don't want to compete with men to get it.

Who? Do you really believe the people who watch the WNBA are hardcore female basketball fans, who don't also watch the NBA?

I think people that like the WNBA are hardcore basketball fans period.

Interest in the sport is their brand.

I think people that like the WNBA are hardcore basketball fans period.

They would most certainly have to be. It's like the folks who watch summer league. You best believe you're hardcore if you're paying attention to that shit.

That still doesn't address your claim that the WNBA reaches people that the NBA doesn't.

Back