US voters asked to locate Iran on a map

Why is that sad? Who gives a shit about whether or not Americans know about Persian history? It isn't like Arabs know shit about American history. People are busy trying to raise their kids, pay their bills, and put food on the table. They don't have time to sit down and find out how may Persians were fucking Zoroastrians. Gee whiz.

this is why you're one of, if not the saltiest user on these forums.

what happens when you want to run game on a hot piece of Persian ass?

LOL. I sure as hell wouldn't start talking about how many ancient Persians I thought were Zoroastrians, or whip out a blank map and wow her with my geography skills.

source.gif

28% right is a good number to be fair.

Why is that sad?

Why is it sad that most Americans don't know about, let alone understand, the earliest liberal and pluralist empire in human history? You do realize that the United States is a fundamentally pluralist and liberal country, right?

Who gives a shit about whether or not Americans know about Persian history?

People who value knowledge. So, not you or anyone like you.

It isn't like Arabs know shit about American history. .

Arabs and Persians are very different groups. It's also said that most Americans don't realize this.

I never got the point of these types of questions. The U.S. is the big dog on the block, why should regular Americans know where random countries are on the map. The more important question is this: Do random Iranians know where America is? Because we set the rules, not them. They should know where the big dog is, we don't have to know where the puppies are.

No disrespect to Iran intended, just sayin'.

This is the truth. Fellow Canadians often turn their noses up at Americans not knowing much about us, while we know a tremendous amount about them. I appreciate their optimism about how they believe this makes them better than the stupid Americans, but I've always looked at it as a case of "Why would they learn about us? We're comparative nobodies on the world stage, whereas global politics and culture literally has the United States at the center." Most places in the world simply aren't important enough to know much about, whereas the United States is the center of it all.

Why is it sad that most Americans don't know about, let alone understand, the earliest liberal and pluralist empire in human history? You do realize that the United States is a fundamentally pluralist and liberal country, right?

People who value knowledge. So, not you or anyone like you.

Arabs and Persians are very different groups. It's also said that most Americans don't realize this.
All that matters is the Spartans whipped their ass.

Then the Athenians and rest of Greece told them to fuck off out of there:

On a serious note though I don't get what caused their empire to take a bit of a tumble after their wars with Greece.

Most people that I know probably couldn't find Iran in a map. They probably would guess that it's in the middle East but they probably wouldn't know where the middle East is unless the map showed the desert and even then only a small percentage of them would find the middle East as a whole. Most people are super ignorant of things that don't directly affect them dayt day.

On a serious note though I don't get what caused their empire to take a bit of a tumble after their wars with Greece.

A lot of the same as any other ancient/pre-modern empire, really. With the added downsides of a pluralist society: costly administrative contradictions between national and local government (obviously the road from central management to federalist management wasn't seamless), lack of national identity and commitment to national cause, and provincial corruption as the kings and rulers of semi-autonomous regions began skimming (and, obviously, their subjects were more loyal to them than the Empire). Also, as with any empire ever, an increase in liberty led to an increase in the upper class trying to gain control of the whole operation.

Best modern example I can give would probably be Yugoslavia.

@Limbo Pete

LOL. I sure as hell wouldn't start talking about how many ancient Persians I thought were Zoroastrians, or whip out a blank map and wow her with my geography skills.

source.gif

translation: I'm more acquainted with my hands & a bottle of lotion.

To be fair, it probably wouldn't be so different if a poll asked iranians where the US is. People just suck at geography in general.

While there probably are a few trolls among the oddly placed guesses, I think more are along the line of "iran? what is a iran".
Quite a few of those people probably have never heard of Iran and regards news, history and current events as something that happens to other people while THEY keep it real!

A lot of those dots are in the ocean, which makes me wonder how many of these people just completed this poll without even trying. I doubt anybody actually thinks Iran is in the Tasman Sea.
People are dumber than you think

He doesn't need to know that shit...he just needs to have money, drive a Mercedes and wear cologne.

<Fedor23>

Didn't they already tumble BEFORE Khan showed up though?
That region has been conquered by all the great conquerors. Genghis Khan, however, leveled the area to the point of almost extinction. It’s estimated that after Khan rolled thru, he killed so many people that it wasn’t until the 1960s that the population numbers recovered to the levels they were before Khan.

Back