US to Cut Nearly All Humanitarian Aid to Palestine

Good!
Recently our government stopped $10 million in aid to the Palestinians.[we still send some tho.]
Much of the money was going to Hamas. Some to pay pensions for life to families who have had a son/daughter martyr themselves. Disgusting.

The Palestinians do not want their own country. It is much easier to receive millions every year from countries around the world. Running your own country successfully is difficult and they know this. They just want money and sympathy.

You make solid points and I agree with you. However, the Israeli military did the hard yards in terms of actually fighting and dying for their newfound country against hostile pan-Arabist neighbours on all sides. Israel only really became a nation after it put the stamp on their Arab opponents and relieved the immediate threat to their existence. To say that Israel is a purely Western creation does the Israelis a disservice. At least that's my take.
For me its clear that Israel relied heavily on the West and without Western backing and control of the land they wouldn't have been able to create their state. However I do see your point, too many people don't give them enough credit for standing on their two feet and getting the job done for better and for worse.

Why do I say for worse? Well, why were those Arab neighbors hostile? Because the Israelis were ethnically cleansing the Palestinians and sending them to their countries. To be sure they had cynical, self serving motives which is partly why they lost against Israel; they took the victory for granted and focused too much on out maneuvering each other. But they were also responding to the expulsion of the Palestinians who were outmatched by the Israelis due to the aforementioned Western training, experience, and arms.

If that's the tax profit from "selling" arms to Israel via "aid" then why even bother in the first place?

Yes, they did, although Jews were concurrently migrating to the Palestinian area well before that and the Jewish Zionist movement had been agitating for a Jewish state since before the turn of the century. The fact they got Israel in the former Holy Land was a bonus; they were mentioning spots in Uganda and other random areas in no way connected with where Israel lies in the Torah/Old Testament! The Balfour Declaration was a key victory for Zionism, but the wheels for the creation of an Israeli state were well and truly turning before it came out, which was a big reason why it was made in the first place.

Bottom line, the Jews were far too influential a people by the turn of the century to be denied a state of their own. The Holocaust gave them a righteous and practical justification for this state and also helped steel their resolve for the coming wars. A lot of the baby boomer Jews I've met commonly say the most important event in their lives came before they were born (ie the Holocaust). It altered the Jewish attitude to the rest of the world from one of pacifism and mercantilism to one of intense militarization... and mercantilism. Understandable, really.
I do sympathize for the Jews for what they went through but if I'm being honest I don't think Israel should've ever existed. It came into being through an act of injustice; the expulsion of the Palestinian people. When you say that the movement that led to the creation of Israel was already in motion by the turn of the century, what that meant in practice was the expelling of Palestinians off their land by buying the land from absentee landlords. This continued even after the British banned the expulsion of Palestinians due to it being the primary grievance behind the Arab Revolt. So even before the Nakba they were illegally expelling Palestinians.

You make solid points and I agree with you. However, the Israeli military did the hard yards in terms of actually fighting and dying for their newfound country against hostile pan-Arabist neighbours on all sides. Israel only really became a nation after it put the stamp on their Arab opponents and relieved the immediate threat to their existence. To say that Israel is a purely Western creation does the Israelis a disservice. At least that's my take.

So Jordan, Egypt etc lost battles with Israel so Palestinians don't need their land?

I have an honest question, when people say "I am a Zionist" does it mean they are nescessarily Jewish or just pro Israeli state?
It means pro Israel. You can be Christian or even Muslim and be a Zionist. You can be Jewish and be anti Israel.

$200 million- nearly all US aid to Palestine- will cease. This money was not to go to the Palestinian authority but to aid projects directly serving Palestinian citizens.

Secretary of State Pompeo was reportedly against the cuts, but Presidential son-in-law (and apparent mid-East policy wonk) Jared Kushner said the cuts would “strengthen the president’s hand” in the Mid East.

Aaron Miller, Mideast program director at the Wilson center said “This is the first administration in history to provide unqualified support for the government of Israel while waging economic and political war on Palestinians.”

With the money cut off, several American aid-organizations have discontinued food subsidies to needy families. The US has also cut $300 million to a UN program that feeds and clothes Palestinian children.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/24/641689522/u-s-cuts-more-than-200-million-in-aid-to-palestinians

What a clusterfuck.

Apparently Trump thought he could give Isreal Jerusalum, and then just let the pali's name what they wanted.

Pali's ain't playing ball. Now Trump is ratcheting up the screws.

Lets be real. You're clearly a "reformed" felon who is a Nation of Islam tool. Just stop Islam has FAR more hate for the world than Jewish people or Israel. The Middle East and Islam are a burden on the world because they literally believe the words of a warlord are directly from the voice of God.

Lets be real. You're clearly a "reformed" felon who is a Nation of Islam tool. Just stop Islam has FAR more hate for the world than Jewish people or Israel. The Middle East and Islam are a burden on the world because they literally believe the words of a warlord are directly from the voice of God.

Go get banned again, loser.
Too bad for you he can get a pardon a lot easier than Manafort. :p

They hate us but we should give them money.

I can see helping kids but they will still hate us.
I think the major thorn in these negotiations is Hamas. Some type of deal would have probably been agreed to by now if not for their terrorism. There will never be real peace as long as children are being indoctrinated into violence and a hate of Israel.

I don't think we have even been neural really .

Obama hated Israel and showed it as much as he could get away with and that didn't stop them from being us.

You tend to be friendly to people that haven't always seen you as satin.
Oh, Jesus Christ... :rolleyes:

If the money went to the authorize, then I would support it since they reward terrorists and their families but if the aid went directly to Palestinians, then the aid to Israel should be cut off also!

I'm conflicted on this as I am a Zionist yet sympathize with the Palestinians. The U.S. should force both parties back to the negotiation table. Otherwise withhold money from both parties. They are both intransigent.
I appreciate your sentiment. The U.S. has lost all credibility as an arbiter of this issue though. Trump is basically attempting to force the Palestinians into an agreement. It's not trying to come to a fair consensus but just forcing a conclusion. Almost surely to be followed by great self-aggrandizement.

I don’t know if there is long-term good in this situation. I know there are hungry kids.

Maybe the Palestinians will finally stand up and force Hamas out of their Country. You can bet the money we send to Palestine only ends up in Hamas' hands to weapons to fire at Israel not feed their citizens.

One hint of anti-Semitism and this Thread is gone!:D

There is a long term good possible; a definitive resolution to the conflict that allows the Palestinians self determination either through their own state or under one state with equal rights alongside Israelis.
They will never accept Israel
Period
Never
Every Israel Palestine discussion will always be undercut by that

Where did they get this military prowess? It was from Britain. The British had a love/hate relationship with the Zionists as the Zionists carried out terrorist attacks against them and stole arms from them while of course having pledged to create a Jewish homeland for the Zionists. But during WWII both set their differences aside to fight the Nazis. In the process many Zionist soldiers received valuable training and experience alongside the Brits and they in turn trained other Zionists when they returned to Palestine.

You're right that the US only supported Israel later but before the US Britain was the patron of the Zionists. Israel even helped Britain and France invade Egypt when Nasser decided to nationalize the Suez canal but all three were pressured to leave by the Americans and Soviets. So @Trotsky has a point that its a Western creation though I would give more credit to the Zionists. Britain's support for Israel wasn't a given, they had to carefully earn it while still testing the limits of what they could get away with(expelling Palestinians after the British banned that, carrying out terrorist attacks against the British etc).

How Zionists fight Nazis? Didnt Hitler make deal with Jews to send Jews to Israel? Where is @IDL?

Back