International US Publicly blames China for Cyberattack/hacking spree

M$ has been the leading software company for decades, and why so easily defeated and often?

the company is involved in world problems constantly, use different software?
Windows is by far the most used OS by the average person, which are mostly tech illiterate.
Why create a virus, hack, etc for an OS that only has 20% market share? I don’t know actual OS market share numbers but its safe to assume Windows is very high.

What do we do?

Tell Ole T. Boone to turn off their water spigot.

Norway called up the Chines ambassador, Norway is also accusing China of hacking.
And the Ambassador had a fit in some media about it.

Windows is by far the most used OS by the average person, which are mostly tech illiterate.
Why create a virus, hack, etc for an OS that only has 20% market share? I don’t know actual OS market share numbers but its safe to assume Windows is very high.
the hack was specifically an exchange server, switch to google business services. These things can be swapped out, move away from M$ when possible, and this is possible. People that use windows can exchange mail with business versions of google. At least they dont get compromised like M$. Government employees can swap to chromebooks, heck more secure than windows. Students, which make a huge portion of the market share, use mostly chromebooks already, schools pass them out like candy.

the hack was specifically an exchange server, switch to google business services. These things can be swapped out, move away from M$ when possible, and this is possible. People that use windows can exchange mail with business versions of google. At least they dont get compromised like M$. Government employees can swap to chromebooks, heck more secure than windows. Students, which make a huge portion of the market share, use mostly chromebooks already, schools pass them out like candy.

Microsoft fucked up when they fired all their testers and automated everything.

Switching to Google business or any other service isn't going to fix the #1 security flaw, humans. Almost every week there's a story about someone forgetting to put a password on their Amazon buckets.

Google is following the same thing Apple did in the 90's. Get the kids used to using the OS from a young age by giving away/offering deep discounts on hardware to schools. When those kids grow up they'll buy what they're comfortable with, ChromeOS.
I like the idea behind Chromebooks, I bought the Samsung Series 3 when it first came out. I only used it to watch videos and browse the web, but it worked perfect for those things. I don't have the need for a laptop currently but if I did, I'd buy a Chromebook in a heart beat.

U.S. Blames Hackers Tied to China for Microsoft Cyberattack Spree (msn.com)

WASHINGTON—The Biden administration Monday publicly blamed hackers affiliated with China’s main intelligence service for a far-reaching cyberattack on Microsoft Corp. email software this year, part of a global effort to condemn Beijing’s malicious cyber activities.

In addition, four Chinese nationals, including three intelligence officers, were indicted over separate hacking activity.

The U.S. government has “high confidence” that hackers tied to the Ministry of State Security, or MSS, carried out the unusually indiscriminate hack of Microsoft Exchange Server software that emerged in March, senior officials said.

“The United States and countries around the world are holding the People’s Republic of China (PRC) accountable for its pattern of irresponsible, disruptive, and destabilizing behavior in cyberspace, which poses a major threat to our economic and national security,” Secretary of State Antony Blinken said. The MSS, he added, had “fostered an ecosystem of criminal contract hackers who carry out both state-sponsored activities and cybercrime for their own financial gain.”

So, what's do be done about this new "Cold War" of cyber attacks, hacks, ransomware, etc. that's breaking out. If these activities were physically done they'd be acts of war, but because they were committed with 1s and 0s... we get nothing but empty condemnation?

What are the options for nations to use against China to A) punish them for the attacks and B) get them to stop? I feel like US needs to work with EU to put together some sanctions specifically on tech and parts to try and make it economically hurt their tech sector enough that the hacking isn't worth it.

They need to do something but to many American politicians sold out to china years ago .
in the government sold out to china years ago

Back