US Olympic Trials for the marathon

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The Olympic Trials for the marathon were held last weekend.

Rupp, an Olympic silver medalist in the 10,000 meters, won it and it was his first marathon. One has to qualify to run in the Olympic Trials but he met the met the qualifying standard by running the half marathon under the standard.

Meb K beat father of time and made the team. He is 40 years old. That says something about the depth of the sport but Meb K is a stud. He has won the Boston Marathon the year after bombing and the New York Marathon and has a Olympic silver medal for the marathon.

The women's race was exciting to watch.

It looked like training partners Amy Cragg and Shalane Flanagan had control of the race. They were out in the lead and humming along and it looked like the race was going to be for third place. The top 3 go to the Olympics.

But Flanagan started to hurt at about mile 23. Cragg was obviously holding back and coaching her along. Cragg finished 4th at the 2012 Olympic Trials and worked hard for 4 years to move up one spot to make the team. But she was holding back doing all she could to get her teammate to keep up the pace.

The third place woman Desi Linden was quickly approaching and Cragg finally had to go and took off. Linden did catch and pass Flanagan but Flanagan held on for third. Once Flanagan passed the finish line her legs turned into wet noodles and she couldn't stand up. Her husband picked her up like a little doll and put her in a wheelchair. She showed a lot of mental strength and concentration to hold off fourth place finisher Kara Goucher.

The two made a video before the 2012 Olympic Trials that proved to be accurate in 2016

And Kara after the race

Last edited:
The Nike Oregon project is an organized doping program. Rupp has been doped since he was a teenager.

I respect Kara Groucher for standing up to Salazar but she bugs the crap out of me.

Look at me! I'm a super mom! Tomorrow I'll tell yo how to make a super dandy smoothy!

third-placed-shalane-flanagan-of-us-drinks-beer-on-the-podium-after-picture-id456248764
I like Shalane. She is a tough little lady who likes a big beer.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...-beer-on-the-podium-after-picture-id456248764

Back