US military failed to recapture seized nuclear weapon in test attack -internal review

Nebi

Крым наш!
@purple
Reaction score
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-05-22-02-54-38

WASHINGTON (AP) -- An Air Force security team's botched response to a simulated assault on a nuclear missile silo has prompted a blistering review followed by expanded training to deal with the nightmare scenario of a real attack.

The Air Force recognized the possibility of such an intrusion as more worrisome after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. But an internal review of the exercise held last summer at Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana said the security forces were unable to speedily regain control of the captured silo, and called this a "critical deficiency."

The Associated Press obtained a copy of the report through a Freedom of Information Act request.

The previously unreported misstep was the reason the 341st Missile Wing flunked a broader safety and security inspection. The unit, which has been beset with other problems in recent months, including an exam-cheating scandal that led its commander to resign in March, passed a do-over of the security portion of the inspection last October.

The failure was one of a string of nuclear missile corps setbacks revealed by the AP over the past year. The force has suffered embarrassing security, leadership and training lapses, discipline breakdowns and morale problems. Earlier this year, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered two reviews, still underway, to address his concern that the lapses could erode public trust in the security of the nation's nuclear weapons.

Scary..

U.s. military strength is a myth; I thought this was widely known by now.

The silo scandal a little bit ago really shed some light on personnel issues across the board.

Wasn't there a movie based on this? Starred John Travolta and Christian Slater.

U.S. military is too bloated to be effective. We spend more than the next 10 nations combined. What we need is lean. You could cut our spending in half and we would still spend 3 times more than china. You should see some of the jamoke's i see in the army, it's sad really.

Eh. Units fail drills and have to be retrained all the time. From that article it sounds like they ran a scenario no one had thought of before to show a need for training.

It must have been the marines who were playing the robbers then, HOORAH MARINES.

This reminds me of that reality show where they pit various ex spec ops guys against each other in various black ops scenarios.

Wasn't there a movie based on this? Starred John Travolta and Christian Slater.

great movie, that director went on to direct Face off with John Travolta and Nic Cage, but then he went at it alone with Nic Cage again in Windtalkers and that broke his career here.

U.s. military strength is a myth; I thought this was widely known by now.

You didn't strike me as a retard, but this is kind of the thing a retarded person would say.

Chair Force just going to Chair Force. We run these tests at the highest standards, using some of the unlikeliest scenarios and if we fail them training is restructured and commanders disciplined. American military strength hasn't truly been used in a fucking minute. Or do you think the most advanced military in history is strictly based on counter-insurgency?

Your telling me with all those satellites, Star wars program, missile busting movies we can't seize a nuclear weapon of mass destruction. Send in the girl and boy scouts maybe they will fulfill their duty. :icon_lol:

I guess in this author's world we actually expect the Air Force to recapture land.

So a dril where the bad guys took a silo and the good took to long to get it back.

They couldn't launch the nuke, set it off or take it away.

Not as bad as it sounded at first glance.

Everything to detract from US military capability is nearly always just not true in reality.

Say what you will, the US always pulls through.

You didn't strike me as a retard, but this is kind of the thing a retarded person would say.

Chair Force just going to Chair Force. We run these tests at the highest standards, using some of the unlikeliest scenarios and if we fail them training is restructured and commanders disciplined. American military strength hasn't truly been used in a fucking minute. Or do you think the most advanced military in history is strictly based on counter-insurgency?

The military uses more effort not hurting anyone than it does on destruction. Has for a long time.

meh, units fail training operations all the time. That is why they drill them.

Holy shit.

Pretty sure I got a buddy on that base right now.

Not sure though.

drill baby drill

AF should practice more instead of juggling their balls

They should just play countdown on Cod 4 a few times, my time on veteran difficulty was pretty damn good.

I'd review it for them if they asked and shore up the holes.

Back