US indicts 5 Chinese Army officers of Industrial espionage.

So, have all the people responsible for tapping Merkel's phone line been sent to Germany for punishment yet?

You're right, but if we're talking about pure industrial hacking, China takes the cake easily. If your knowledge is only up to four years ago, you at least need to remember this giant attack.

US is certainly guilty of spying on the grand scale, but it is pretty evenly distributed and done seamlessly. China aggressively hacks whoever they want and they don't care how much evidence they leave behind.
I was responding to his assertion that most attacks against websites come from China. I don't think the Chinese are interested in some Joe Blow's personal sites. They're after high value targets, like high-tech manufacturers, financial institutions and resource extraction entities. In my limited knowledge, primary threats to your average websites are mostly from Eastern Europe, while email scams are originated in Africa.

My point is that the US is also guilty in conducting industrial and commercial espionage, and I've provided the sources for that. It's hypocritical for US to call out China for attempting to gain commercial advantage with spying when both are doing it. One being more brazen and the other being more stealthy don't change the result, they're essentially the same act. It's the holier-than-thou attitude I find repulsive, not countries trying to gain the upper hand with one another. You can't be crying foul while doing the same thing yourself.

PS. Those 5 dudes that got charged will probably get promotions, while China is going to keep on stealing. After the whole Snowden thing, I don't think anyone really buy into America's name-and-shame strategy when it comes to hacking.

Last edited:
lol! When it comes to China and economic espionage, you should step back and take a fucking seat, because you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Scratch that, I'm sure you don't know what you're talking about on a lot of shit.

You have to have lived in a fuckin cave not to know about China's hacking and their hilarious denials by now.

What do you base this on? It seems it's a matter of perspective, given that all governments spy. But the U.S. likes to pretend it's holier-than-thou - that it can engage in large scale cyber espionage, but when other countries do it, it's a no-no.

Just now, China has halted cybersecurity cooperation after the U.S. spying charges leveled against them

China halted the dialogue and threatened further retaliation after the U.S. indicted five Chinese military officials yesterday for allegedly stealing trade secrets. China’s Foreign Ministry called the U.S. move a “serious violation of the basic norms of international relations,” while China’s State Internet Information Office likened the U.S. actions to “a thief yelling ‘Catch the thief.’”

Apparently, the Chinese have published counter-data claiming the U.S. is the world's largest cyber-attacker.

Latest data from the National Computer Network Emergency Response Technical Team Coordination Center of China (NCNERTTCC) showed that from March 19 to May 18, a total of 2,077 Trojan horse networks or botnet servers in the US directly controlled 1.18 million host computers in China.

The NCNERTTCC found 135 host computers in the US carrying 563 phishing pages targeting Chinese websites that led to 14,000 phishing operations. In the same period, the center found 2,016 IP addresses in the US had implanted backdoors in 1,754 Chinese websites, involving 57,000 backdoor attacks.

And not that anyone actually uses or should use Windows 8, but in retaliatory "sanctions," China has banned the use of Microsoft's Windows 8 on all government computers as a blow to U.S. tech.

I was responding to his assertion that most attacks against websites come from China. I don't think the Chinese are interested in some Joe Blow's personal sites. They're after high value targets, like high-tech manufacturers, financial institutions and resource extraction entities. In my limited knowledge, primary threats to your average websites are mostly from Eastern Europe, while email scams are originated in Africa.

My point is that the US is also guilty in conducting industrial and commercial espionage, and I've provided the sources for that. It's hypocritical for US to call out China for attempting to gain commercial advantage with spying when both are doing it. One being more brazen and the other being more stealthy don't change the result, they're essentially the same act. It's the holier-than-thou attitude I find repulsive, not countries trying to gain the upper hand with one another. You can't be crying foul while doing the same thing yourself.

PS. Those 5 dudes that got charged will probably get promotions, while China is going to keep on stealing. After the whole Snowden thing, I don't think anyone really buy into America's name-and-shame strategy when it comes to hacking.

I think you misread my post somewhere. I agree, the eastern block is the ones who attack Joe Shmoe to get his credit card info. China attacks high level companies and government institutions without regard to really covering their tracks. And, until proven otherwise, China is easily the leader in this category. Of course, America does it but I think America is guilty of the most 'overall' spying. China is guilty of the most corporate espionage. Even with Snowden leaking our entire NSA history, it's mostly been government & data center backdoor taps. It's nothing like China hacking hundreds of companies.
Of course, you could be right, the US could very well just have superior technology and get away with it, but until that is proven, gotta say that China is the leader in corporate espionage, isn't that fair?

Also, yeah it's hypocritical but when you caught, you caught. No one gave America a break when America said "uh, well, everyone does it..." when the Snowden leaks started.

Everyone needs to read the mandiant article and get educated.

Back