Economy US Farmers helpless as TPP boosts Australia and Canada.

Diamond Jim

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
American farmers are facing the "imminent collapse" of key markets and fear uneven trade playing fields as Australian, Canadian and other rival nations take advantage of the soon-to-be implemented Trans-Pacific Partnership.

After President Donald Trump withdrew the US from the TPP on just his third day in the White House in 2017, the States will be left on the sidelines when the re-shaped TPP-11 comes into effect 12am on Sunday AEDT.

Australia, Canada, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand and Singapore were the first nations to ratify the agreement, formally titled the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement. Vietnam, Chile, Brunei, Peru and Malaysia are set to follow in coming months.

US farmers, already hit hard by Trump's tariff battle with China and the lack of a free trade agreement with Japan, are bracing to immediately lose market share.

American wheat and beef producers have been particularly vocal.

They expect Australian farmers to use their TPP advantage to sell more to Japan.

"Japan is generally a market where we seek to maintain our strong 53 per cent market share, but today we face an imminent collapse," US Wheat Associates President Vince Peterson told a public hearing held by the US Trade Representative earlier this month.

"Frankly, this is because of provisions negotiated by (former US president Barack Obama's administration) for our benefit under the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

"Our competitors in Australia and Canada will now benefit from those provisions, as US farmers watch helplessly."

Peterson said Australian and Canadian wheat producers will enjoy an immediate seven per cent drop in tariffs selling to Japan because of the TPP-11.

"By April it will have gone down by 12 per cent," he said.

"In very real terms, as of April 1, 2019, US wheat will face a 40 cent per bushel, or $US14 per metric tonne, resale price disadvantage to Australia and Canada.

This news on top of this.

Considering rural America voted overwhelmingly for Trump I’d say they deserve it, but this hurts all of us and will cost the taxpayers even more when Trump continues to cut billion dollar bailout checks to farmers.

American farmers are facing the "imminent collapse" of key markets and fear uneven trade playing fields as Australian, Canadian and other rival nations take advantage of the soon-to-be implemented Trans-Pacific Partnership.

After President Donald Trump withdrew the US from the TPP on just his third day in the White House in 2017, the States will be left on the sidelines when the re-shaped TPP-11 comes into effect 12am on Sunday AEDT.

Australia, Canada, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand and Singapore were the first nations to ratify the agreement, formally titled the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement. Vietnam, Chile, Brunei, Peru and Malaysia are set to follow in coming months.

US farmers, already hit hard by Trump's tariff battle with China and the lack of a free trade agreement with Japan, are bracing to immediately lose market share.

They expect Australian farmers to use their TPP advantage to sell more to Japan.

"Japan is generally a market where we seek to maintain our strong 53 per cent market share, but today we face an imminent collapse," US Wheat Associates President Vince Peterson told a public hearing held by the US Trade Representative earlier this month.

"Frankly, this is because of provisions negotiated by (former US president Barack Obama's administration) for our benefit under the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

"Our competitors in Australia and Canada will now benefit from those provisions, as US farmers watch helplessly."

Peterson said Australian and Canadian wheat producers will enjoy an immediate seven per cent drop in tariffs selling to Japan because of the TPP-11.

"In very real terms, as of April 1, 2019, US wheat will face a 40 cent per bushel, or $US14 per metric tonne, resale price disadvantage to Australia and Canada.

Considering rural America voted overwhelmingly for Trump I’d say they deserve it, but this hurts all of us and will cost the taxpayers even more when Trump continues to cut billion dollar bailout checks to farmers.

So when farmers that include corporations, lose market share we should worry, but when small farmers are committing suicide at rates 5 times higher than combat vets, that is fine?

Let me tell you that small farmers have bigger problems then trade deals.

I don't think access to TPP is going to change the fact that many small famrers are expected to live on 25,000$ of income a year, because big agriculture has already pushed them out of the market.

The TPP agreement would have been both good AND bad for the US. The question is which one outweighs the other?

If memory serves me (and I may be wrong, feel free to correct me) it would have allowed foreign companies to sue entire countries based on any laws that harm their future profits and it would be held in front of an international court, instead of a domestic one. I wouldnt consider this a good thing, by any means.

Another rub against it was that the US food safety standards are insanely more stringent than some of the other countries that would have been involved, meaning a lot of the foods they could have tried to export to the US wouldnt meet our standards, and would subsequently be rejected. But because this hurts their profits, they could in theory sue, forcing the US to pay them vast amounts of money or lower our own standards. I for one wouldn't be okay with either of these outcomes.

The big one for me though is that it has been shown that manufacturers will go to any length to save a buck. Why would any US based company pay their employees 18 bucks an hour (plus OT) and all the added insurance costs when they can pay a person in say Vietnam 56 cents on hour to do the same thing and just import it with tiny tariffs?

I mean, I get it. Not joining the TPP is going to have its downsides. But joining it wasnt going to be all rainbows and sparkles either. It was going to be a give and take setup, but would be giving up more or less than we are getting back?

The TPP agreement would have been both good AND bad for the US. The question is which one outweighs the other?

If memory serves me (and I may be wrong, feel free to correct me) it would have allowed foreign companies to sue entire countries based on any laws that harm their future profits and it would be held in front of an international court, instead of a domestic one. I wouldnt consider this a good thing, by any means.

Another rub against it was that the US food safety standards are insanely more stringent than some of the other countries that would have been involved, meaning a lot of the foods they could have tried to export to the US wouldnt meet our standards, and would subsequently be rejected. But because this hurts their profits, they could in theory sue, forcing the US to pay them vast amounts of money or lower our own standards. I for one wouldn't be okay with either of these outcomes.

The big one for me though is that it has been shown that manufacturers will go to any length to save a buck. Why would any US based company pay their employees 18 bucks an hour (plus OT) and all the added insurance costs when they can pay a person in say Vietnam 56 cents on hour to do the same thing and just import it with tiny tariffs?

I mean, I get it. Not joining the TPP is going to have its downsides. But joining it wasnt going to be all rainbows and sparkles either. It was going to be a give and take setup, but would be giving up more or less than we are getting back?

You act like companies aren’t still moving jobs overseas and automating them anyways without the deal. No international agreement will be all rainbows. That’s kind of the point of negotiating and deals. The isolationism that swept up 2016 is making us weaker.

It would have been great for our economy while also countering China. Oh well.

"Derailing- Do not derail threads. Posters tend to come into a thread they do not like in order to derail. Doing this isn't accepted and can lead to infractions. If you don't like the thread, you easily can post in a different one."

How about I will do whatever I want in a duplicate thread that is on the front page.

Can't derail a thread that is about to be merged chump.

Tariffs are already as low as they get between countries, what the TPP did was mainly standarize regulatory framework between countries.

Also, no, the US has pretty shitty standards when it comes to food and countries can reject food on fitosanitary grounds all the time.

The whole international courts would actually help the US, since courts in the US are already quite fair while courts in third world countries arent as much.

I would welcome getting welfare queens like @Farmer Br0wn off the government teet. Agriculture represents such a small fraction of our GDP(in California where most of the country's food is grown it's only 2% of state GDP), and a large percent is sold overseas.

We shouldn't be subsidizing business for the sole purpose of feeding already well-to-do countries.

Love the ramping of more talk about disastrous free trade agreements written by the corporate lobby btw. @Diamond Jim doing wonders for the DNC

So when farmers that include corporations, lose market share we should worry, but when small farmers are committing suicide at rates 5 times higher than combat vets, that is fine?

Let me tell you that small farmers have bigger problems then trade deals.

I don't think access to TPP is going to change the fact that many small famrers are expected to live on 25,000$ of income a year, because big agriculture has already pushed them out of the market.
But Obama and Hillary said TPP was great and totally not written by the same corporations you talk about and totally not something that would drive small farmers to even further despair

As my father used to say don't help the farmer when his potato is in your mouth

I would welcome getting welfare queens like @Farmer Br0wn off the government teet. Agriculture represents such a small fraction of our GDP(in California where most of the country's food is grown it's only 2% of state GDP), and a large percent is sold overseas.

We shouldn't be subsidizing business for the sole purpose of feeding already well-to-do countries.

Love the ramping of more talk about disastrous free trade agreements written by the corporate lobby btw. @Diamond Jim doing wonders for the DNC

Never curse a Farmer with your mouth full.

Last edited:

I don't like the sound of this, but I also wonder if it's going to be like that imminent BREXIT "collapse" that was going to see Britain plummeted into chaos overnight simply because they pulled out of the EU.

Seems like they're doing alright.

As my father used to say don't help the farmer when his potato is in your mouth

There’s something slightly gay about this but I can’t place my pickle on it...

Daily reminder TPP only benefited farmers making 90k a year off of their yield and the average USA farmer only makes around 70k.

Fuck the actual economics of this though. Farmers only had soybeans as their primary crop for profit. The entire market has been fucked up for years and now "TPP" and the anti-Trump crew are out to get to the bottom of this and really show the world how evil this was.

Seeds are ok still, right guys? Guys?

- Farmer Bill

I don't like the sound of this, but I also wonder if it's going to be like that imminent BREXIT "collapse" that was going to see Britain plummeted into chaos overnight simply because they pulled out of the EU.

Seems like they're doing alright.

Britain hasn't left yet, that's set for March 29, 2019. They have however already had a loss in economic output that result in tax income losses that exceed what they are paying to the EU (before both the discount and what the EU gives back).

Back