US does prisoner swap with Taliban

That's a pretty unusual use of "join/find" given the disparity of the implications.
I understand that the guy's name is mud because of the resulting situations, but the degree of speculation and repetition of online hearsay outright branding him a traitor doesn't seem worthwhile. Not when more information is surely on it's way and there's already official indications of a questionable mental state.

Abandoning your post and walking off are the actions of a traitor. Doesn't matter what he did after. If he joined the TB even more so.

I could really give a damn about his "mental state." If you're having a hard time see the chaplain or the shrink. Don't walk off post and cause other soldiers to lose their lives searching for you. I met plenty of guys when I was deployed having a rough time and took one to the mental health guys after taking his gun away.

Also have you served over seas in a combat zone?

You're right. Good catch.

But then again, are you really surprised that he played the moral equivalence card?

No. I'm just glad that someone pointed it out though, because it's the truth.

Abandoning your post and walking off are the actions of a traitor. Doesn't matter what he did after. If he joined the TB even more so.

I could really give a damn about his "mental state." If you're having a hard time see the chaplain or the shrink. Don't walk off post and cause other soldiers to lose their lives searching for you. I met plenty of guys when I was deployed having a rough time and took one to the mental health guys after taking his gun away.

I have and you know what?

You are 100% dead-on-ba//s correct^. You just don't up and walk off the FOB like in "The Hurt Locker". That was a work of fiction that had some basis in reality.
The question I want to pose is how could he look at himself in the mirror when knows his comrades died looking for him? It doesn't matter that he *might* be off his nut.

We all have choices to make in life and we all have to deal with the consequences. No one forced him to drop his gear and abandon his post. He chose to do that.

I could really give a damn about his "mental state." If your having a hard time see the chaplain or the shrink. Don't walk off post and cause other soldiers to loose their lives searching for you. I met plenty of guys when I was deployed having a rough time and took one to the mental health guys after taking his gun away.

No.
So deserter automatically means traitor? Even so, what's the basis for saying that he joined the Taliban?
That's the accusation in the text you copied and pasted from some anonymous comment online.
Seems strange that you'd copy and paste that if you personally received some official information.
Depends on how mental he was I guess. At the moment he's apparently having trouble speaking english...

This is one of the phoniest most pretentious things I've seem come out of this Administration.

Especially the end.

The accusation of joining was from several people who were involved in the immediate aftermath and search for him. People I spoke with who were there first hand.

Also due to statements he has made while captive, the fact that he was not immediately killed like many other soldiers who have been captured in the field by them and several other things.

And yes, desertion and treason against your country are almost the same in my book. Especially when his actions led to the deaths of several good soldiers.

His father just said how proud he was of his son, who tried so hard to help the Afghan people.

He should stay.

some really good, insightful comments itt.
I'm happy so many intelligent ppl post here.
and no, I'm not being sarcastic.

the thing with pops converting is interesting. Stockholm Syndrome?

some really good, insightful comments itt.
I'm happy so many intelligent ppl post here.
and no, I'm not being sarcastic.

the thing with pops converting is interesting. Stockholm Syndrome?

Hmmmm.. I haven't thought of that.. Good point. Really.

Great job Obama ... free a bunch of terrorists for a deserter.

"A mass killer, Bin Laden's friend and an opium drug lord: Fury as Obama swaps Taliban for last US POW"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2645354/A-mass-killer-Bin-Ladens-friend-opium-drug-lord-Anger-grows-release-hardened-terrorists-Americas-POW-Hagel-insists-Bergdahls-life-danger.html

"Freed US soldier celebrated Xmas, played badminton with captors"
http://news.yahoo.com/freed-us-soldier-celebrated-xmas-played-badminton-captors-181447547.html

And it was Obama himself who signed the law requiring him to give Congress 30 days notice...

If only Obama cared enough to negotiate with the Mexican government holding Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi, who did actually make a mistake.

If only Obama cared enough to negotiate with the Mexican government holding Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi, who did actually make a mistake.

You honestly think that dude just honestly wandered into Mexico?

Maybe not, but he did 2 pumps to Afghanistan as a grunt and never left his post.

This post isn't getting anywhere near enough attention^

Acknowledging it doesn't jive with the narrative that obama is the worst president ever and what he did was the worst thing ever.

Back