US does prisoner swap with Taliban

Protectandserve

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So apparently we now negotiate with terrorists?
http://news.yahoo.com/us-soldier-freed-captivity-afghanistan-164824831--politics.html

My thought on the matter is that while yes, SGT Bowe Bergdahl is an American soldier and our only POW from the war in Afghanistan, he wasn't worth the trade.

I knew several soldiers who were there when he deserted, involved in the search for him and lost other good soldiers in that search. All told me Bergdahl was only worth recovering due to the symbolism of the Taliban not having a US serviceman in their possession.

Interested to see what happens with him now that he is back. Lots of soldiers are flooding the articles with calls for him to be court martialed.

No matter what he did and how many lives he may have cost, I guess it is symbolic gesture; to bring him back (and apparently at any cost; the cost of soldiers' lives unfortunately)

(badass gen Moore)

There should be an investigation because their death is largely his fault if he did desert.

Last edited:
I know this probably is a bit conspiracy theorish, but as someone who served two tours in Iraq, I'm highly suspicious of someone "captured" by these people and not immediately executed.

on what, exactly?

Not the politics or anything, just your experience when there. Don't worry, don't let me trouble you, plus i'll derail this thread lol.

Not the politics or anything, just your experience when there. Don't worry, don't let me trouble you, plus i'll derail this thread lol.

You aren't troubling me, I meant that literally. What did you want to know?

they want him court martialed ? jeez .. being a pow for 5 yrs isn't enough punishment ?

i just think we have to wait til we get all the facts before jumping down people's throats.
it does seem odd to trade 5 high ranking terrorists, but i'll wait and see what we get told before i make up my mind.
i feel there MUST be something more to this whole thing than what it appears to be.

Damn shame we've taken him back... I hope he spends the rest of his days in Leavenworth living in complete shame of his cowardice.

Good to have him back.

Too bad we will have to do our due diligence and hold him accountable for his actions.

i think we can officially say now that obama, if not the worst president, is easily the most weak willed, easily walked over president in any living person's lifetime, if not ever

Hope the US implanted tracking chips inside the bodies of the released detainees or infected them with something that will eventually kill them.

i think we can officially say now that obama, if not the worst president, is easily the most weak willed, easily walked over president in any living person's lifetime, if not ever

I've said it before on here (years back), that if we had George Bush Senior as President during these years we have been fighting Pakistan/Taleban , the US would have fared better in securing its objectives. Bush Senior , James Baker and others of that era who made up the Bush White House were old school Bad Ass Americans who meant business.

Obama in some ways has been more forcefull than McCain or Bush Jnr but compared to Bush Senior, he is still a light weight.

If the guy has been held in captivity since 2009, he's likely been punished enough. I don't agree in punishing the man further. If he was a deserter, it seems weird to negotiate for his release though.

Hope the US implanted tracking chips inside the bodies of the released detainees or infected them with something that will eventually kill them.

like infecting them with a bubonic plague that will become contagious in a few weeks and kill them by the dozens?

like infecting them with a bubonic plague that will become contagious in a few weeks and kill them by the dozens?

If we were scortched earth policy barbarians like them we'd infect them with something that is contaigeous and not give a dam for the innocent civilians who are affected but we don't fight like that . While I think we have been way too soft in the Afghan war, I am glad we don't carpet bomb and wipe out entire towns and villages and rape the conquered.

Maybe we should have given them weapons in exchange for hostages like Reagan did.

Seems like a good trade, where the released guys even terrorists? why werent they even tried?

Back