Economy US chamber of commerce calls for immediate end of $300 per week boost to unemployment

Wait, you're saying that the guy working 40 hours a week should work more than 40 hours a week to have some money? No transportation costs, no health insurance, no clothing costs, definitely no training income, minimal savings that will be wiped out at the first real medical event?

As for the 2nd half of your post, it's completely irrelevant. You're pointing to a dual income, no kids family in response to my post about what an individual makes. So, in order to have a livable wage, you have to get married? That's the path to self-sufficiency?

If that's what you consider sufficient then why did the government believe that more is necessary during the pandemic, why not just give everyone $15k. Why do you qualify for housing assistance, food assistance, free healthcare at those wage levels if they're enough for a working individual to survive on?

I'm not arguing with your math, I'm drawing your attention to what we think people should live on vs. what we think people should get paid for their labor. And the recurring argument for why people shouldn't get paid enough to match what we think they need is "We can force them to work more if we keep them poor enough."

So you're using the argument that because the federal government believed something it must be correct? Probably the most specious argument ever proposed.

How many of you would make the trade off of letting those on the benefits to get the remaining increased amount early in the event they could land a job? I could see people not liking that but takes away the incentive of waiting to enter the workforce and would result in the same expenditure for the government.
that's actually an interesting idea and refreshing to see anything other than the regular bs from all sides

that's actually an interesting idea and refreshing to see anything other than the regular bs from all sides

Yglesias has been floating the idea around. I think something like that or even a scheduled ramp down each month could be useful. This is all a short term problem so it's not the end of the world if things take til September to really come back but I think DC could've been better with this one. It's the type of recession you could plan a recovery for better than a normal financial crisis imo.

Here's Biden's mother to explain away April's horrific jobs report:

Five months in...

Just say "back to brunch".

How many of you would make the trade off of letting those on the benefits to get the remaining increased amount early in the event they could land a job? I could see people not liking that but takes away the incentive of waiting to enter the workforce and would result in the same expenditure for the government.

So like a UBI/giving everyone a $2k stimulus check? Yeah, I'd be cool if they gave people some sort of spending voucher to incentivize people to get off of unemployment. I think you could even kneecap it some and still get people to sign up for it. Like giving them 60% of it guaranteed, job or no job.

not everyone gets a bunch of state unemployment. My little brother gets $360 a week TOTAL including the boost. He only gets like $100 a week from NYS. He's going to school online so hopefully when unemployment he'll be able to get a job with a living wage. Just saying let's not assume that everyone is getting $1000 a week or something

Just say "back to brunch".

So like a UBI/giving everyone a $2k stimulus check? Yeah, I'd be cool if they gave people some sort of spending voucher to incentivize people to get off of unemployment. I think you could even kneecap it some and still get people to sign up for it. Like giving them 60% of it guaranteed, job or no job.

Yea, essentially the increased benefits go until sometime in September so if someone were to find a job start of June, they could take the job and would get the remaining benefit (~13 weeks June to September x 300/week = 3,900). I'm sure they could kneecap it like you said and the incentive would still be there for someone abled to go back faster. It just seems like it isn't as hard as a problem to address and politicians should've thought this kinda stuff out a long time ago.

Edit: Keep in mind the bonus is just on the temporary increase, you aren't just paying them out the full UI still. The increase is what most people are saying is causing the slow return.

While that's true so is his point that wages are stagnant.

People saying a fifteen dollar minimum wage is ridiculous are ignoring the fact if it had kept pace with inflation it would be almost twenty dollars an hour.

This is the reality conservatives are fighting to perpetuate.

If you vote conservative you should be asking yourself what policies you favor and how likely your vote is going in that direction.

The conservative party has no policies. All this talk about liberal identity politics obfuscates the fact that's all conservatives have. Conservatives win elections based on fighting liberal policies, but what else are they offering?

it would not be anywhere close to 20$ per hour if kept pace with inflation. Biden made that claim and fact checkers said he was wrong it was closer to 11$/hr and when asked about it, White House staff said biden misspoke. It would be over 20$ /hour if it had kept up not with inflation but with some random data from one single think tank about work productivity going back to the 1960’s

edit: I was wrong, it wouldnt be even close to 11$ an hour, it would be 8.98$ if it kept pace with inflation. ANd this is from CNN.

"This is false; the White House told CNN after the event that Biden got mixed up with another statistic about the minimum wage. Today’s federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour, which took effect in 2009, would not be even close to $20 per hour if Congress had decided to link it to inflation. Adjusted for inflation, $7.25 in January 2009 was equal to $8.98 in January 2021."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/17/poli...own-hall-anderson-cooper-milwaukee/index.html

Last edited:
not everyone gets a bunch of state unemployment. My little brother gets $360 a week TOTAL including the boost. He only gets like $100 a week from NYS. He's going to school online so hopefully when unemployment he'll be able to get a job with a living wage. Just saying let's not assume that everyone is getting $1000 a week or something

you know not of which you speak

If you make 7.50 an hr and dont claim exempt on your taxes, you deserve to have the tax man rob you

Nothing underscores the stagnant U.S. wages than the reality that $300/week in unemployment is enough to keep people from going back to work.

The theory "If we keep people poor enough, they'll have no choice but to work...," just seems so insanely counterproductive.

??? yes, giving people enough money to sit around and live comfortably without working will lead to people not working. What’s your point?

All part of the plan. Government closes small business. Damage. Government says they can reopen but extends/increases unemployment so no one returns to work at small business. Damage continues. It's part of the plan folks. India is a raging pandemic. Much death. US steps in, gives vaccines. India better. See that US sheep? Vaccine good. Money better. Take your vaccine like a good little puppet. We own you. We control you. We ousted a president, blamed it on a pandemic, pushed out an experimental vaccine to make billions for the connected. We own social media. We own the news. We own pharma. We own you sheep.

Full time work?

Oh and aren't they floating the idea of extending it indefinitely?

Full time work?
Can’t be. I saw his claim and went to the ny unemployment site and punched in numbers on their calculator to try to get down to 100$ a week and if you made 8500$ per year gross pay you’d be at 110$ per week. So yeah if you’re making less than that, you’re barely working at all. NY tops out around 570$/week for anyone who reported gross annual earnings over 52k/year

Can’t be. I saw his claim and went to the ny unemployment site and punched in numbers on their calculator to try to get down to 100$ a week and if you made 8500$ per year gross pay you’d be at 110$ per week. So yeah if you’re making less than that, you’re barely working at all. NY tops out around 570$/week for anyone who reported gross annual earnings over 52k/year
After taxes he gets $360 a week. So $67 from NYS post tax

Back