1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Urijah Faber Is Who I Thought He Was.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Genki Sudo II, Jun 6, 2014.

1. egk Gold Belt

I think this all came down to control and egos clashing. Who's the boss in the gym? They brought Bang in to be the coach but Faber wanted everyone to know he's still the boss.

2. aries Gold Belt

TJ is a better striker than Faber. Faber looks flashy when he's in there but he's sort of like a kung fu character, when it comes to actual fighting he doesn't get the results that he should where as TJ looks as good as he fights. It's clear to see that Bangs training input has done wonders for TJ and taken him to the next level.

3. OriginMMA Red Belt

I disagree.

4. [email protected]&WW Gold Belt

whatever happened to master thong?

5. Lethal_Striker Gold Belt

Ludwig was already planning to leave TAM long before TJ won the belt, I doubt that it played any factor into the change.

6. Lucifer Alpha The Catastrophe Banned

Are people really that confused by this? Ludwig signed a one-year contract with TAM. During that time he promoted his BANG Muay Thai system. He was never planning on staying.

7. berimBOWLoh Silver Belt

like how everybody acts like they know what goes on behind the scenes at TAM. Uriah always seemed like a good dude.

8. Jblizzle Red Belt

Thong never really left he just isn't reliable enough to be the main striking coach there. I'm pretty sure that he has continued to work with Urijah this whole time

9. Lethal_Striker Gold Belt

It's definitely a weird dynamic where Faber owns the gym and is the leader of the team but not the head coach of the team. That doesn't happen very often. Like for example when Miletich Fighting System was up and running and Pat was still fighting he was the head coach of the team.

10. Shol Blue Belt

Sure but to guys on that level it can be construed as being "over the top" and unrequired....

I personally think that unless there would be exceptional issues that the elite fighters would be given the benefit of the doubt on that sort of crap

11. jayBMX Brown Belt

[​IMG]

12. Genki Sudo II Blue Steel Ferrari Le Tigre They're The Same Face! Banned

I just appreciate him more as a Martial Artist.

I mean there's a mile of difference between him and Uncle Creepy's case of Influenza - and I do NOT like that guy.

To think I had Kid in a hypothetical match back then. He would've had his hands full.

13. Orni Purple Belt

It is kinda douchy but in a way i just can't help but find it funny. The guy seems like a character out of an anime, always shirtless and with his weird ass sunglasses on. And his "name" is Master Thong HAHA... He just seems like such a character, especially when i heard those crazy stories about how he dissapeared for weeks frm the gym to go on gambling sprees etc... it's crazy to see such a weird ass lunatic be so good at his job (training fighters.)

Basically Master Thong is BAMF imo.

14. NHB7 Steel Belt

The fact that someone as good as Urijah Faber is not the BW or FW champion, shows you how deep those divisions really are.

15. Genki Sudo II Blue Steel Ferrari Le Tigre They're The Same Face! Banned

I haven't scoured your posts or anything. He just loses too much to notable peers of his era.

I stand corrected since he carries a 3 to 2 win ratio that should make him a tad above average but of course if you were sitting on 50/50 then you wouldn't be fighting in the big leagues. Still 21-14, yikes!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  16. kalabula Red Belt

17. Kevza Blue Belt

Id rather be a great fighter than great at hitting pads....

18. The Judas Pig Black Belt

A lot of the best coaches in lots of sports weren't great at said sport, it's not unusual.

19. Fizzee Water Silver Belt

"Urijah wishes he could hit pads as well as Ronda Rousey" - Dana White

20. Genki Sudo II Blue Steel Ferrari Le Tigre They're The Same Face! Banned

Are you kidding me. Faber is borderline Hall of Fame. Brown, Aldo, Barao, and Cruz (whom he beat once and could best in a rubber match) are his only really setbacks and three are arguably P4P'ers. He should've been fighting at 135 to 125 all along as well where frame, reach, speed are at a premium (the three lightest weight class that is).

Mighty Mouse a P4P'er couldn't even beat Cruz and thed dropped down and we know how that worked out for him. And Faber fought a murderer's row above. A murderer's row who mostly dwarfed him too add.

And if I had to wager I'd put him up against MM, TJ, Cruz, favorably. LOL, at people mocking his striking. So was it just his great base in wrestling that got him by all along?

His downfall, again, is his reach and short frame most of the time against his opponent because this guy is as dynamic as they come.

Sherdoggers are quite fickle. T J puts on one once of lifetime performance and Faber is relegated to chopped liver just like that. Please. Faber's accomplishments dwarfs TAM's collectively by a good margin - and again, there's a reason he's the Alpha of Team Alpha.