URGENT... Need to cut 20 pounds by friday!

Matt Ferraro

Amateur Fighter
@Green
Reaction score
Ok, i've started but i'm wondering if i should lock myself in the sauna like in TUF 1 or if i should just keep on running and in the end do the whole sauna thing. I've cut weight before and i've cut this much but not in like 3 days lol.

Please don't give me the bs about how dangerous it is, i know how dangerous it is but i'm more concerned about cutting the weight then my health.

Ok any input you guys might have will help... thanks!

20 lbs. is alot but doable
Is weigh in on day before fight?
If it is follow this technique and you will be ok.
1) buy tub of abolene it opens up your pores and makes you sweat alot more.
2) Apply abolene to chest arm pits, inner thighs, stomach back, face ect
3)Warm up on a bike or treadmill just enough to break a good sweat
4) wrap head in heavy cotton towel,body in heavy cotton towel and then put towel over face while in sauna. Wear only this in sauna
5) sit in sauna in 15-20 min shifts. When out of sauna drink a little bit of lemon juice just to keep mouth from drying out.
6) srap self in cotton robe to stay warm
7) weigh self
8) repeat process
9) when lose weight and weigh in rehydrate with pedia lyte. I drink one ounce per pound lost drink it mixed with water and drink it slow I mix 2 ounces of PL with 4 ounces of water. Also I like to eat something with alot of water/juice in it like watermelon, mango or grapes right after i make weight.

If you follow this you should be ok it may take a while so be prepared but if you do it this way you wont be burnt up from a sauna suit or from running like a madman. YOu will need to rehydrate but that is easier than trying to regain energy lost running.
I usually get a massage in between sauna sessions by someone just to stay a little loose and relaxed but that is just me maybe like a 5 minute massage or something like that. I have lost 20 lbs. do this technique over a 8 hour time span and was fully recovered shortly after the weigh in it is a slow and gradual technique but it works better than most.

Vilo, what is Abolene? i can't find any info on it.

I live in Canada so they might not sell it

You should be able to find it in any drug store like walgreens or CVS or something similar to that it is a makeup remover. It comes in a blue and white tub the lid is royal the tub is plastic and is white. Hope that helps

Vilo Magee said:
9) when lose weight and weigh in rehydrate with pedia lyte. I drink one ounce per pound lost drink it mixed with water and drink it slow I mix 2 ounces of PL with 4 ounces of water. Also I like to eat something with alot of water/juice in it like watermelon, mango or grapes right after i make weight.

Why pedia lyte?

Vilo, when you rehydrate do you take in really small amounts of fluid at a time or do you chug larger amounts? After I make weight I usually fill a shot glass with watered down gatorade or Pedialyte and take in multiple shots every minute or so. I know guys who will go running for the water and throw back a whole bottle but that method has always given me stomach aches.

small sips of pedia lyte so you absorb it...

i've done the sauna suit and it's hard man. you can do it, but it's hard...

when not wearing the suit, just keep spitting. if your mouth gets dry, chew something that makes your mouth water like sour candy but don't swallow it...

oh yeah, i went from 181 to 166 in 2 days...

Why pedia lyte?

Pedialyte is one of the best rehydration drinks on the planet. Vitamins, Electrolytes, Hydration. Not only is it good here, but it's also excellent for hangovers. Drink Pedialyte, hangover disappears in roughly 5-15 minutes.

Pedialyte is SOO much better than Gatorade. I used to always wear the sauna suit and spit in a cup all day. But I only had to drop about 10 pounds for wrestling. Rehydrate slow it will save you some stomach cramps

Sonny said:
Vilo, when you rehydrate do you take in really small amounts of fluid at a time or do you chug larger amounts? After I make weight I usually fill a shot glass with watered down gatorade or Pedialyte and take in multiple shots every minute or so. I know guys who will go running for the water and throw back a whole bottle but that method has always given me stomach aches.
I take in small amounts of fluid. I also make sure and cut the pedia lyte with water I forgot to add I drink distilled water witht he pedialyte to make sur ei am not taking in anything i dont want to take in llike flouride or high doses of chlorine because doing so can make my stomach upset.

Pedialyte is the best source of rehydration on planet period

Using a sauna suit should always be a last resort it saps more nutrients and tires you faster than anything you can do it is like being a potato wrapped in aluminum foil on a barbacue.

Also I do not do the spitting part.

Just follow what i laid out for you and you will be fine. I can almost guarantee you will be fine for your fight if you follow it to the tee.

This method is proven time and time again. If you go an ask big weight cutters in boxing what they do to make weight it will be nearly exact to what iI just said. I am talking guys like walk 3-4 weight classes above their fight weight and weigh in on the button but the next day weigh 15-18 pounds more than opponent.

Honestly I don't see how spitting would make a big difference. That's very little water. I would bet it would mostly just make your mouth dry and make the experience that much more unpleasant.

What I want to know is, every year wrestlers die from cutting water weight. What exactly are they doing wrong? I would prefer not to die when the day comes to cut some serious weight.

I think Sauna suits may play a role in the deaths of alot of wrestlers. I dont know if you have ever wore one to drop weight but when you are in one for a good amount of time you lose more than just water. Also think about how raw vegetables have more nutrients than over cooked ones that is basically what a sauna suit does to your organs is cook them inside your body.

I agree with you on the spitting part the amount you would lose from doing so is very small and only makes you more uncomfortable. I sometimes will suck on a lemon to keep my saliva glands working to avoid dry mouth and I will even have a few small sips of water to keep it moist.

Vilo Magee said:
I think Sauna suits may play a role in the deaths of alot of wrestlers. I dont know if you have ever wore one to drop weight but when you are in one for a good amount of time you lose more than just water. Also think about how raw vegetables have more nutrients than over cooked ones that is basically what a sauna suit does to your organs is cook them inside your body.

Interesting. I have not worn one before. Would trash bag suits and the like also fit under this category?

Interesting. I have not worn one before. Would trash bag suits and the like also fit under this category?

Absolutely.

Headache said:
Would Peperation-H be a substitute for Abolene?
Not sure about that.
You can order Abolene from walgreens website or from title boxing. Title boxing also has something called sweet sweat which also works like abolene. Abolene is what I use because it is very cheap. One tub lasts me 5 months or more depending on how much I use it

mmagic said:
Seriously bro the best way to lose water weight is the way I described.
Also when you are trying to sweat a lot during training wear abolene also.
When I train I wear one cotton tee tucked into pants, long john over the top of that then a cut off sweat shirt. For bottoms I wear long johns then shorts with a thin running pants over top.
I apply abolene to my face stomach under arms and inner thighs and I sweat alot and I dont feel run down at the end.
I would never wear a sauna suit unless i was fighting for a million bucks and was 20+ pounds over weight the day before the fight

Back