Urbans workout??

ObsceneJester

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was reading somewhere (that I can't find now) that you no longer do like bench and stuff and that you carry around sandbags, concrete ectera ectera ectera.. I went to your site but I couldn't find it and I was wondering if you or anyone else that have read what you posted could tell me what excersizes these were and how you did them

Thanks

I lift two days a week now (monday and friday) and have chosen to abandon bench press for the time being and focus on strict military presses instead. On monday I build up to a 1 rep max on military press, then drop the weight down to 90% and do 10 reps in as few sets as possible (avoiding failure where possible). I do the same thing with squats (well I did until I hurt my back), then I do a type of deadlift for some volume (5x5 or something), and a upper back exercise (row, pullup, etc.), and maybe a different press for volume.

Friday, I do either dynamic effort or complex training. on the former I mix in some olympic lifting. when i do oly lifts I use the same heavy rep scheme I used for overhead presses have on monday because the nature of the lifts themself are very dynamic (actually plyometric) in nature. I'll do some dynamic squats, presses (incline, overhead, whatever), and some presses for higher reps. It's all very catch as catch can on exercise selection. I do what I think I need and what I haven't done in a while.

On complex training, I do a lighter heavy day, using a heavy set of 5 on an exercise superseted with a similar plyometric movment. So, something like deadlifts and high pulls, or squats and jump squats, incline press and plyo pushups, military press and medicine ball push presses against a wall, etc.

Wednesday is a unique day for me, and quickly becoming one of my favorites, it's an event day. Mostly based around strongman events I pick two different events and try to go for reps in 20 minute time restraints for each one. 10 100 ft sled drags (forward or backwards), 50 tire flips, 10 rope climbs, 50 sandbag shoulders, 10 farmers walks (still haven't been able to use the bars I made due to lack of plates), or 50 keg throws etc. whatever I feel would be the most fun and/or beneficial.

Each lifting or event day is followed by a conditioning/GPP day, and I alternate bodyweight GPP drills and weighted gpp drills from session to session and use my generator program to decide what I'll do that day. To be honest, I'm not very good at following through with my conditioning/gpp days and I often "forget" or skip them altogether. But I really should get outside with a sledge, KB, or jumprope more often.

And I've recently (like a week ago) found a renewed devotion to grip training, so I mix that in 3-4 days a week. So, I do lift, but there's a lot that goes into my strength program. Does that answer your question? or uhh... what exactly was your question again?

Urban said:
On monday I build up to a 1 rep max on military press, then drop the weight down to 90% and do 10 reps in as few sets as possible (avoiding failure where possible). I do the same thing with squats (well I did until I hurt my back), then I do a type of deadlift for some volume (5x5 or something), and a upper back exercise (row, pullup, etc.), and maybe a different press for volume.

..what? I'm so confused on this.. Is there way you can dumb this down some more?

Wednesday is a unique day for me, and quickly becoming one of my favorites, it's an event day. Mostly based around strongman events I pick two different events and try to go for reps in 20 minute time restraints for each one. 10 100 ft sled drags (forward or backwards), 50 tire flips, 10 rope climbs, 50 sandbag shoulders, 10 farmers walks (still haven't been able to use the bars I made due to lack of plates), or 50 keg throws etc. whatever I feel would be the most fun and/or beneficial.

So do you put 50lb sandbags on each shoulders or 1? Also how far do you walk? 100 ft within 20 mins? Farmers walk 100 ft in 20 mins? How long and far do you go for each one of those listed above?

Each lifting or event day is followed by a conditioning/GPP day, and I alternate bodyweight GPP drills and weighted gpp drills from session to session and use my generator program to decide what I'll do that day.

Would burpees.. push up, pull ups work as GPP days?

And I've recently (like a week ago) found a renewed devotion to grip training, so I mix that in 3-4 days a week. So, I do lift, but there's a lot that goes into my strength program. Does that answer your question? or uhh... what exactly was your question again?

So would wrist curls (the one with the string stick and weight at the bottom and you roll it up)and plate holds would that be acceptable 3-4 times a week?

That's my questions :D Thanks Again

ObsceneJester said:
..what? I'm so confused on this.. Is there way you can dumb this down some more?
ok, here's what I might do on a monday:
military press (my main press): 5 reps @ 95, 3 reps @ 115, 1 reps @ 125, 1 @ 135, 1 @ 145, and attempt @ 150 (that I have yet to make). then since 145 was the last successful attempt, I go down to 90% and might do say, three sets of two and four singles @ 130. Then I do the same type of thing for squats (well I would except I hurt my back a couple weeks back and I'm rehabing it. Then I'll do maybe SLDL for 4x6, a ladder of pullups as high as I can go, and then maybe incline press for 3 or 4 sets of 8. Does that all make sense?

So do you put 50lb sandbags on each shoulders or 1? Also how far do you walk? 100 ft within 20 mins? Farmers walk 100 ft in 20 mins? How long and far do you go for each one of those listed above?
no, sandbag shouldering is where you have a sandbag on the ground in front of you, you pick it up and put it on your shoulder in an explosive single movement, and then drop it back down again and repeat. Switch shoudlers every rep.

my farmers walk is 1000ft in 20 minutes. 10 walks, 100 ft each.

Would burpees.. push up, pull ups work as GPP days?
Clearly you have not poked around my site. there is a program there that generates my GPP days. I should stop replying here, because if you've read them, you haven't comprehended the stickies... but I'll go on.

So would wrist curls (the one with the string stick and weight at the bottom and you roll it up)and plate holds would that be acceptable 3-4 times a week?
no I would put bending on one day, block weight tosses on another, gripper training on another day and kettlebell swing and catches on another. Maybe mix in some thickbar deads or 3" db snatches somewhere too.

Now, carnal is going to come in here and say something like "URBAN YOU SKINNY :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:! GET BACK TO GETTING STRONGER YOU JIBBERING GLASS BACKED PENIS WRINKLE!" or something of that nature. And to be fair, he's right. this is NOT an ideal routine for most people. In fact, I'm tempted to close the thread. that you don't know what some of these things are or how to do them shows how green you are in the iron game. In all honesty, I'm not even ready for this routine but I'm experimenting on myself and so far all it's done is gotten me a mild back injury.

So, here's what I reccomend for you: get stronger before you get more complicated. Mine is quite possibly the most complex routine I've seen posted on here in a while and I would not reccomend it to... well anyone really. It should also be said that I have specific goals: I want to be a firefighter. As such, I have specific needs in my training. My sledgehammer drills directly correlate to certain breaches, and my sandbag lifts and slede drags. This is all with a purpose and I don't want you copying me or my routine and hurting yourself on it.

As somebody new to lifting I thought that the unique shit, the rare and complicated shit was the key to big gains. I now know that simplicity is the route to go. and honestly that's how I started out with this and I just built on it and my abilities for a long time. My heavy lifting days are simple, my strongman days are simple, my GPP days are simple and random, and my DE and complex training days will cause injury for anyone not ready for them. this is a tremendous amount of work to heap on somebody new to training and if you're not a year or two into the game you can easily take a big step back with something like this. and I'd like to reiterate, this routine is SPECIFIC TO MY goals

Do this, lift simply three days a week, do interval training on two off days call it done.

Urban said:
So, here's what I reccomend for you: get stronger before you get more complicated.

That's really good advice Urban. :D

hey urban what is the address to your website???

click on his name and visit his website

or... down by edit post, quote post, profile, buddy, etc. underneath my post you could click on the homepage button. But I'm currently in the proccess of editing my site. It quite a bit of work, so you may want to hold on of visiting.

FCFighter316 said:
those last 3 paragraphs were a result of me and urban discussing that all the guys on this forum are weak peices of shit like myself and dont know what they're doing or have a strength base ...what Carnal preaches

I would take offense at this but I'm too exhausted from building a strength base.

Back