ur opponents youtubing your tournament loss

I post nothing.

My wins and loses are mine, to view and review. I always scout my opponents if i can. And a lot of my teammates do the same.

IMO, there is no reason to post your videos on youtube or viemo, for any reason other than vanity.

I have them saved on my computer, and backed up on a disk. When its time to review them, i do. The only reason id put them online is to promote myself if im looking for sponsers or something.

I just dont see the point of posting them, for any other reason than wanting people to see them. Why would i openly invite future opponents to watch my matches?

Hypothetically, if i were to go on a rampage and start wrecking people left and right, im sure people would look to scout me. And thats why i would keep the footage off line. The only thing id have to worry about is people recording me while i fight, and keeping it for themselves or posting it later.

Im sure a lot of high level players have this issue. (again, hypothetical in my case. :wink:)

Its to each's own. I prefer not to. Of course, i dont have much of an ego IRL.

Last edited:
Yeah, look at "our Hillary" vs. Kara Gracie. Maybe she just used word of mouth, maybe she had someone scout her in person, but most likely she used Youtube to scout that "our Hillary" really likes to pull guard in a hurry........ Kara simply put her foot out in a sweeping motion, made slight contact and got the takedown points vs. "our Hillary" in there last match.

it was obvious for whatever reason that Gracie was ready and waiting for that move to be tried.

That stuff is common knowledge in almost any tournament though. People who pull guard quickly are tagged even after just one match.

I understand your mentality, but I just think it gets people into a defeatist mindset. It becomes more about limiting the other opponents' abilities than it does about improving your own. That may work for a while, but eventually it catches up to you if you don't improve yourself. Suddenly you'll get passed up by someone who is more worried about being the best they can possibly be.

Marcelo Garcia doesn't seem too concerned that people know he is good at taking the back. Roger Gracie doesn't seem too concerned that people know he likes to finish with a cross choke from the mount. I am sure I will never make it to that level, but at least I have to aim high and try to get as far as possible.

I get the feeling that these guys are not the best because they hid their techniques and strategies as much as possible along the way. I get the feeling that these guys are the best because people were constantly chasing after their talent and they were forced to work even harder to get to the top.

IMO, there is no reason to post your videos on youtube or viemo, for any reason other than vanity.

I understand and disagree. I post my videos for information. I suck, so there is simply nothing to feel vanity about....except perhaps the vanity that tells me that others will take the time to review my videos and point out things that I miss and can work on.

^ Thats why you have an instructor.

Guys from 1000's of miles away, with varying degrees of knowledge giving advice, are not my ideal people to critique my techniques.

Thats why i pay my instructor, thats his job, and he knows my game better than anybody, including myself.

Again, to each's own.

That stuff is common knowledge in almost any tournament though. People who pull guard quickly are tagged even after just one match.

I understand your mentality, but I just think it gets people into a defeatist mindset. It becomes more about limiting the other opponents' abilities than it does about improving your own. That may work for a while, but eventually it catches up to you if you don't improve yourself. Suddenly you'll get passed up by someone who is more worried about being the best they can possibly be.

Marcelo Garcia doesn't seem too concerned that people know he is good at taking the back. Roger Gracie doesn't seem too concerned that people know he likes to finish with a cross choke from the mount. I am sure I will never make it to that level, but at least I have to aim high and try to get as far as possible.

I get the feeling that these guys are not the best because they hid their techniques and strategies as much as possible along the way. I get the feeling that these guys are the best because people were constantly chasing after their talent and they were forced to work even harder to get to the top.

Good post. Im coming more from an MMA side of it. There is alot more strategy in MMA than in grappling.

But like it was previously posted, to each his own. I understand the desire to have your stuff out there.

^ Thats why you have an instructor.

Guys from 1000's of miles away, with varying degrees of knowledge giving advice, are not my ideal people to critique my techniques.

Thats why i pay my instructor, thats his job, and he knows my game better than anybody, including myself.

Again, to each's own.

I'm assuming then that you don't look at instructional videos, unless filmed by your instructor.

I have been in someones highlight video getting swept twice and tapping to a cross collar choke. I didnt really care too much as I had been only training for 5 months and he had been for a year and it was the finals.

On another note I posted a video of myself choking this guy unconcious (he chose not to tap) at a tournament and it turns out I am friends with his girlfriend and she found the video and asked me about it lol.

I'm assuming then that you don't look at instructional videos, unless filmed by your instructor.

No, i watch plenty of instructionals.

Ive been a member of Draculino's online instruction site since before it was made public.

I learn/use techniques from there, and try them out in rolling. Or open mats ill bring them up to my instructor, and ask where i need to improve on what im doing.

Its also nice that when we are taught techniques in class, say from HG, i might know a move from an instructional that relates to the move being taught in class.

And when the time is right, i inquire. And usually he ends up showing the class that technique as well, and i learn a better understanding of both.

Not that instructionals arent fantastic, but its very difficult, at least for me, to remember every step of a advanced technique, learned from an instructional.

Thats why i do my best, and ask my instructor for help, and request certain techniques when available. Or other senior belts, such as my friends who are Browns and Purples, who are regular sparring partners.

Those guys also help my game, because they have enough knowledge to make those corrections, and they have the added benefit of helping me, in that we frequently roll and train together.

Thats the way i learn from instructionals. I use the information in training, and request help from more advanced people on corrections, and a more in depth understanding of the techniques.

If a purple doesnt know, a brown will, if a brown doesnt, the BB instructor will, in the highly unlikely situation that he doesnt know, Master Murilo will.

I think what he means is that you dont know the experience level of the person giving you feedback on your videos. Instructional DVD's are generally made by those who have recognized accomplishments.

I think what he means is that you dont know the experience level of the person giving you feedback on your videos. Instructional DVD's are generally made by those who have recognized accomplishments.

Actually, I do. I make it a point to only listen to those that I actually already know, and so I know their belt level (mostly purples and browns).

And then I run those ideas by my coach, who can better explain it or show me what he thinks.

I just think it's a useful resource if treated properly.

I put all my fights up. I've been pondering adding opponent's names to it, but it just seems kinda disrespectful to put that out there. I mean, maybe someone sees it and is grateful they get to see the fight, but every time someone googles your name, for it to come up with you getting choked out or whatever...just seems kinda unfair. I don't put my name on my youtube account, even though it's not exactly hard to find out what it is if you want to, but...yeah. Everyone knows my gameplan, and I've managed to implement it pretty well so far. I train differently to how I fight, so if the situation changes, I'm ready. But if your best stuff keeps working...why not keep on doing it? ^_^

And, uh, vanity's a bitch, I guess? @_@

On that note:

And yes, it does really irritate me that that's one of the first videos that comes up when you youtube my actual name. But hey. Shouldn't have let it happen, should I? ^_^

Take care,

Oli

I put all my fights up. I've been pondering adding opponent's names to it, but it just seems kinda disrespectful to put that out there. I mean, maybe someone sees it and is grateful they get to see the fight, but every time someone googles your name, for it to come up with you getting choked out or whatever...just seems kinda unfair. I don't put my name on my youtube account, even though it's not exactly hard to find out what it is if you want to, but...yeah. Everyone knows my gameplan, and I've managed to implement it pretty well so far. I train differently to how I fight, so if the situation changes, I'm ready. But if your best stuff keeps working...why not keep on doing it? ^_^

And, uh, vanity's a bitch, I guess? @_@

On that note:

And yes, it does really irritate me that that's one of the first videos that comes up when you youtube my actual name. But hey. Shouldn't have let it happen, should I? ^_^

Take care,

Oli

Did that defeat change your game at all?

Not really. ^_-

I mean...don't get guillotined in two seconds should really be part of the gameplan in most fights. @_@

He's just very good, and got it on tight. Hasn't happened since, so, uh, I guess that's a good thing?

I did speak like I had a serious smoking habit for about three days though. Which was fun, in a strange kind of way. ^_-

[Edit: Oh! I have more!

]

Take care,

Oli

somebody's gotta win - Somebody's gotta lose.

I think it definitely makes a difference at that level. All the guys I know who fight at that level scout their opponents as much as possible. It's just part of the game.

It does make it harder to hold on to a champion title. That's just the nature of being the champion. You have a huge target on your back, and every single competitor studies you in hopes of exploiting any weakness they can find.

That's one of the things I like about BJJ. There are no secret techniques. You have to put your best stuff out there or else you won't be able to win. That makes it difficult to win with the same exact gameplan over and over again, which in turn forces us to evolve as well. It keeps things fresh and the level of technique constantly advancing.

Trying to keep stuff secret is a futile exercise. That was the TMA idea hundreds of years ago, and we all know how effective that turned out to be. If you want to keep everything a secret, then just fight death matches behind closed doors in the academy with a ninja hood and just go full on TMA. If you want to evolve and get better, then compete out in public and accept what comes along with that.

I agree mostly. I thought it was particularly interesting that this might be a good example of their being a lot more going on behind the scenes in competitive Bjj/grappling. The idea that a new BB has the potential be more of a threat than the division favorites because of that mystery factor and having an unexpected game. It also makes me really in awe of someone like Roger Gracie who is probobly the most easy guy in Bjj to scout right now, but still manages to be completely dominant in his performances.

The only part that I disagree with is the secret moves part. I think that there are techniques and methods that teachers and upper belts in an academy do not share with "outsiders". I've experienced a few people from different places with this kind of attitude and while I don't agree with it, I do respect their wishes if they show me something that they specifically ask me not to share with anyone. Hope that makes sense, lol. I'm tired.

I agree mostly. I thought it was particularly interesting that this might be a good example of their being a lot more going on behind the scenes in competitive Bjj/grappling. The idea that a new BB has the potential be more of a threat than the division favorites because of that mystery factor and having an unexpected game. It also makes me really in awe of someone like Roger Gracie who is probobly the most easy guy in Bjj to scout right now, but still manages to be completely dominant in his performances.

The only part that I disagree with is the secret moves part. I think that there are techniques and methods that teachers and upper belts in an academy do not share with "outsiders". I've experienced a few people from different places with this kind of attitude and while I don't agree with it, I do respect their wishes if they show me something that they specifically ask me not to share with anyone. Hope that makes sense, lol. I'm tired.

I've run into the secret moves attitude occasionally too, and it really makes me lose respect for the guys. It might just be my experience, but typically the guys with this attitude are not really competitive at all either. Also, the so called secret techniques were not even that new to me.

I think back to the time I went to a seminar with Cyborg, and he showed us all his current competition moves like the helicopter sweep from half guard, etc. Watching him compete from then on was like looking at some notes from the seminar. Yet somehow he still managed to win a silver medal at the Mundials this year.

I've never had anyone more accomplished than Cyborg seriously tell me a technique was a secret. If I ever hear someone announce that the next move is going to be a secret, and it is not a joke followed by immediate laughter, that's my sign to bounce from that gym and never go back.

I never put up with that secret move shit even in Karate, so I'm sure as hell not going to put up with it in BJJ.

Actually, I do. I make it a point to only listen to those that I actually already know, and so I know their belt level (mostly purples and browns).

And then I run those ideas by my coach, who can better explain it or show me what he thinks.

I just think it's a useful resource if treated properly.

If thats the case then it does sound like a very useful training tool.

I kind of hope my opponents scout me now based on the videos from my first tournament because I feel like I have improved a lot and my game has changed.

I am in the post wins and losses camp for all to see. My goal is to get better, and the more feedback I get, the more I can learn from my mistakes. I doubt anyone would ever scout me lol.

I don't see the problem with posting your losses.

Someone posted me get absolutely tooled in a tournament once. I don't care, because he legitimately won.

Back