ur opponents youtubing your tournament loss

I post my matches win or lose. I include my name and my opponent's name too if I know it.

I don't think getting scouted is too much of a concern. The world champions are obviously going to be scouted no matter what they do. Some of them even have entire DVD sets released. Yet somehow they manage to continue to win anyways.

So I don't really see the point in hiding your matches so people don't scout you. If you are any sort of grappler of note, people will know your general competition style regardless. If you aren't at that level, then the competition really doesn't matter enough to be concerned over the tiny edge you might gain by being completely unknown to your opponent. You are probably giving up a much bigger edge by not having your videos out to the public for constructive critique.

I don't like the comments underneath. I don't mind everything else.

I don't like the comments underneath. I don't mind everything else.

yes. sh*ttalkers are a bit annoying, but i bet your clips get the pervs also.

i posted one of my guys fights and the guy he beat got on there and started saying some trash, coming up with a ton of excuses and demanding a rematch. but when i commented back, he disappeared... wierd. :icon_chee

I post my matches win or lose. I include my name and my opponent's name too if I know it.

I don't think getting scouted is too much of a concern.

i generally put up all my matches that i have footage of, win or lose. some people try to hide footage so they can "surprise" their opponent, i'm not one of those. if you want to scout me, or my guys, good go ahead. practice and get ready so that i/we face the best "you" possible, and that will make the win all the better.

What are your guys thoughts on this concerning MMA?

It seems my only videos are half i'm losing and half I'm winning Ironically I have a 75% win rate, so it speaks to the fact that no one wants to put a video of themselves losing to a competitor that they filmed.

i was mainly talking about MMA, i have more clips of those than i do grappling.

You put all your fighters vids up for future opponents to see? I think there is such a fine line between marketing yourself as a fighter and putting to much footage out there for opponents to use againts you. I understand the "we have nothing to hide" mentality, but i also understand that those videos are going to be used againts your fighters.

I personally recommend to my fighters that they do not put there footage out there to the public to see. If they want to market themselves they can put something together to send to promotions and sponsors.

its a catch 22 for sure, but most guys put there stuff for personal egotistical reasons and those don't overshadow making smart moves in concerns to your career.

People can showcase their competition victories however they please for all I care.

The only thing would bother me is if a training partner posted footage

You put all your fighters vids up for future opponents to see? I think there is such a fine line between marketing yourself as a fighter and putting to much footage out there for opponents to use againts you. I understand the "we have nothing to hide" mentality, but i also understand that those videos are going to be used againts your fighters.

I personally recommend to my fighters that they do not put there footage out there to the public to see. If they want to market themselves they can put something together to send to promotions and sponsors.

its a catch 22 for sure, but most guys put there stuff for personal egotistical reasons and those don't overshadow making smart moves in concerns to your career.

they wanted the vids up so their friends and family can see them, so i put them up for them. like i said, if people want to scout them go on ahead. right now they are amateur fighters, so they are trying to gain experience and i want them pushed to achieve wins when their opp knows what they are going to try to do. if plan A isn't working, they have to learn to adjust. so far it's gone pretty well.

imo, so what if you know what we are gonna do, you still have to try to stop it.

maybe when they turn pro and there is more riding on it, we will pull some stuff down, but for now, we leave it up.

I have no problem with it, just as long as they don't talk crap about me... i.e. "Yeah, here's my match where I owned the guy. He wasn't that great, but eh, a win's a win."

That's just mean, haha.

People can showcase their competition victories however they please for all I care.

The only thing would bother me is if a training partner posted footage

just wondering how you guys feel about whenever an opponent you faced and lost to @ a tournament posts up the match on youtube or you see yourself in a highlight vid losing. do you take it personally and are humiliated? or do you say, "cool! thats me!"

I have a lot of videos up of my wins and I have put up some and my opponents have put up some videos of my losses. I feel fine with it. Competition isn't that big a deal to me, so as long as they aren't being complete jerks about it and saying rude or unsportsmanlike things I have no problem.

What are your guys thoughts on this concerning MMA?

The thing to remember is that at the highest levels of MMA, you have no choice but to be scouted. Serious pro matches are always video taped for later distribution just as part of the promotion. Part of being a top fighter is learning how to fight against opponents who scout you since there is really no option not to be scouted at that level.

If it was at all possible to be a top fighter and remain unknown to your opponents, then hiding your footage would make more sense. But it's an unavoidable part of the game at serious levels so I don't see the point in delaying it.

It's a Catch 22 really. If you are not a talented fighter, nobody will bother filming you. But if you are a talented fighter, people will recognize your talent and start filming you whether you want it or not.

So unless your goal is to never really be that successful, I think it's important to learn how to deal with opponents who study you. Major league sports teams aren't able to control who watches film of their games. Even a good high school team could not. It's just part of the game.

The thing to remember is that at the highest levels of MMA, you have no choice but to be scouted. Serious pro matches are always video taped for later distribution just as part of the promotion. Part of being a top fighter is learning how to fight against opponents who scout you since there is really no option not to be scouted at that level.

If it was at all possible to be a top fighter and remain unknown to your opponents, then hiding your footage would make more sense. But it's an unavoidable part of the game at serious levels so I don't see the point in delaying it.

It's a Catch 22 really. If you are not a talented fighter, nobody will bother filming you. But if you are a talented fighter, people will recognize your talent and start filming you whether you want it or not.

So unless your goal is to never really be that successful, I think it's important to learn how to deal with opponents who study you. Major league sports teams aren't able to control who watches film of their games. Even a good high school team could not. It's just part of the game.

also this. i get hit in the head too much to be this eloquent. :icon_chee

I was discussing this with someone a while ago in the context of why there have been so many surprises/upsets at the big tournaments in the last few years at the higher belt levels (mostly Black). I was thinking that maybe part of it is that a lot of the more established Black belts are probobly good at Gameplanning and strategizing against specific parts of their opponents games and learning how to deal with specific guys, but when they come up against a new Black belt that there isn't much footage of, or that may not be percieved of as much of a threat then they can be surprised a bit and thrown off of their strategy a little. The newer BB also has the advantage of being able to scout the more experienced guys without the experienced guys being able to do the same.

This is just an idea though, not to take away credit from any of those guys or anything. If they are placing in the big tournaments at all they are obviously skilled as hell.

I've heard the NFL teams have extensive, searchable video archives. It'd be cool to have the same in BJJ. Not just to be able to search for whole matches by, say, a given opponent (or yourself), but also to be able to drill down to individual instances of techniques and be able to skip right to those.

I get what you are saying, but there is a looooooooong, dangerous road before anyone gets to "the highest level of MMA". Sometimes its as simple as a lose at the wrong time that closes the window of opportunity for fighters.

I deal with this stuff alot and i just don't see much benefit other than stroking of ego's to put footage out there for anyone to find. Nothing wrong with a private youtube account you can send to friends and family, but to just throw it out there for anyone to see is not a good idea if getting to the top is the ultimate goal.

People not only use that footage to scout and gameplan, they often use the footage to decide to even take a fight or not.

There have been countless times i have been offered a name as an opponent and i went straight to google and Youtube and came back with a "no thanks" in regards to signing a bout agreement for my fighter.

Of course footage is going to get out there, but i say don't make it that much easier for your opponents to find that footage.

I was discussing this with someone a while ago in the context of why there have been so many surprises/upsets at the big tournaments in the last few years at the higher belt levels (mostly Black). I was thinking that maybe part of it is that a lot of the more established Black belts are probobly good at Gameplanning and strategizing against specific parts of their opponents games and learning how to deal with specific guys, but when they come up against a new Black belt that there isn't much footage of, or that may not be percieved of as much of a threat then they can be surprised a bit and thrown off of their strategy a little. The newer BB also has the advantage of being able to scout the more experienced guys without the experienced guys being able to do the same.

This is just an idea though, not to take away credit from any of those guys or anything. If they are placing in the big tournaments at all they are obviously skilled as hell.

I think it definitely makes a difference at that level. All the guys I know who fight at that level scout their opponents as much as possible. It's just part of the game.

It does make it harder to hold on to a champion title. That's just the nature of being the champion. You have a huge target on your back, and every single competitor studies you in hopes of exploiting any weakness they can find.

That's one of the things I like about BJJ. There are no secret techniques. You have to put your best stuff out there or else you won't be able to win. That makes it difficult to win with the same exact gameplan over and over again, which in turn forces us to evolve as well. It keeps things fresh and the level of technique constantly advancing.

Trying to keep stuff secret is a futile exercise. That was the TMA idea hundreds of years ago, and we all know how effective that turned out to be. If you want to keep everything a secret, then just fight death matches behind closed doors in the academy with a ninja hood and just go full on TMA. If you want to evolve and get better, then compete out in public and accept what comes along with that.

Yeah, look at Hillary vs. Kara Gracie. Maybe she just used word of mouth, maybe she had someone scout her in person, but most likely she used Youtube to scout that Hillary really likes to pull guard in a hurry........ Kara simply put her foot out in a sweeping motion, made slight contact and got the takedown points vs. Hillary in there last match.

it was obvious for whatever reason that Gracie was ready and waiting for that move to be tried.

Last edited:
Back