1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

ur opponents youtubing your tournament loss

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by war path, Jul 7, 2010.

1. war path White Belt

just wondering how you guys feel about whenever an opponent you faced and lost to @ a tournament posts up the match on youtube or you see yourself in a highlight vid losing. do you take it personally and are humiliated? or do you say, "cool! thats me!"

2. Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

I post my own losses. It shouldn't matter. Use it as a chance to learn....that's the best thing to do with the videos.

I only take it personally, if they make it personal through comments.

3. GingerNinja Orange Belt

For you it mite be a bad loss, but as far as they're concerned it could be a good win. As there is always a winner and a loser , it'll be the same if you posted a win video. That's just the breaks. Win some, Lose some. at least if someone posts it online you can watch were you went wrong.. I wish someone had posted my tourny bouts so i could watch myself get handled and figure out better defence. :(

4. bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

I try to avoid putting them on youtube, just because I dont want people to be able to scout me, or maybe I should just post times that I've lost so they underestimate me or something; or purposely make a video of me doing horrible technique to throw them off.

5. hustles Green Belt

When i post my videos on youtube i never post my full name to avoid being scouted. Especially for the big IBJJF tournaments, you see your first opponents name on the bracket days before you compete. I have definitely googled and found an opponents matches and used that to my advantage before.

6. bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

I do that all the time too. One guy I scouted literally pulled guard in every match, needless to say, I pulled guard on him right away and ended up winning.

7. war path White Belt

i don't scout my opponents because i might end up getting intimidated and that might screw with my head a bit

8. jasond Purple Belt

Exactly. Not only have I posted my own tournament losses, but I've recommended that new students look up particular ones to learn from my mistakes.

9. hustles Green Belt

I scouted my first match for the Pan Ams.... guy was an obvious wrestler so I knew what i was getting myself into. I was up on points when he got dq'd and after the fact i found out, sure enough, he had wrestled all 4 years in college at North Carolina.

10. war path White Belt

so you could get dq'd from the pan ams if you wrestled before? doesn't make much sense.

11. curb1850 Green Belt

If no loss was every posted, no matches would ever be on youtube since someone generally wins and someone generally loses.

12. hustles Green Belt

no ... he got dq'd for using an illegal neck crank.... him wrestling was just something that was obvious from his previous matches and helped me be prepared to face him

13. war path White Belt

o i c haha

14. bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

I sometimes even "google" people's academies just to kinda see what the deal w/ their school is.

15. Bathwater Let me clean you with my love

I wouldn't bother me. I haven't recorded any of my matches so it would be nice to be able to go back see what I did wrong. I have a general idea of what I need to work on, but it would definitely be better to have the vids.

16. BSFT Brown Belt

i generally put up all my matches that i have footage of, win or lose. some people try to hide footage so they can "surprise" their opponent, i'm not one of those. if you want to scout me, or my guys, good go ahead. practice and get ready so that i/we face the best "you" possible, and that will make the win all the better.

17. fighterforlife Red Belt

Agree, I post my wins and losses but never post the name my opponents if I beat them.

18. BSFT Brown Belt

i usually do initials, or ask them if they want their name on there.

19. BatBoyJG Brown Belt

I have recently started putting my matches up on youtube, but I don't put my name in the title. But about being youtubed in highlight reels, my last tournmanent the dude I lost to put me going for an ankle lock and him just sitting there in his highlight, weird lol.
    I don't really care if my opponents see my matches, It would feel much better if he knew what was coming and I still caught him in it. I have suggested to Rambo a thread that has all of us post our grappling videos of wins and losses, so we can critique and improve each other just a thought.

20. fighterforlife Red Belt