News Upstart WFL hoping to sign close to 200 fighters next year

TorontoTO

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
According to sources, the current plan is for the WFL to sign 192 athletes in 2022 for their inaugural 2023 season.

Every WFL athlete contract will include a stipulation where the athlete will be paid a traditional purse amount or 3.125% of the revenue generated from the events in which they compete in, whichever is greater, sources say.

Where does the 3.125% number come from, you ask? Well, the thinking is that is equal to 50% divided by 16, which is the total number of athletes on each event.

Additionally, per league officials, the promotion has been in contact with Amazon Prime and DAZN, among others, in regards to their online streaming media rights. Nothing has been signed just yet, though.

Lastly, officials are hoping that they will be able to give athletes the option to be paid in either USD or crypto currency.

Source

I wonder what division they’re going to focus the attention most on. Between all the other promotions, some weight classes don’t have much to choose from as far as star power goes.

I wonder what division they’re going to focus the attention most on. Between all the other promotions, some weight classes don’t have much to choose from as far as star power goes.

Seems like a perfect opportunity for a 165 division.

Hope they skip HW and LHW before they build up a fanbase and recognition. Regional HW and LHW can bring down any card, just go the WEC route and focus on lower weight classes.

Hope they skip HW and LHW before they build up a fanbase and recognition. Regional HW and LHW can bring down any card, just go the WEC route and focus on lower weight classes.
FlW, BW, FW, LW, and WW. They dont need 192 athletes, just get 20-25 athletes in those weight classes.
Stay away from WMMA and MW to HW.

FlW, BW, FW, LW, and WW. They dont need 192 athletes, just get 20-25 athletes in those weight classes.
If they really want, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175. Boom, 6 competitive divisions with something different. If they insist on WMMA, only 105 and 115

120-150 fighters total along with 15 per division for the two WMMA divisions

It’s going to the the 8 male divisions from 125 to HW

each Franchise will have a total of 24 fighters on their roster, 3 per division … the goal is to have 8 teams or franchises for the first season… at the moment, I have been told that are 6 confirmed… they want to add 2 more in the first half of 2022… to start the company in 2023

If they really want, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175. Boom, 6 competitive divisions with something different. If they insist on WMMA, only 105 and 115

120-150 fighters total along with 15 per division for the two WMMA divisions

Fuck 125 (men's division that is). They need at least one division higher than 175.

According to sources, the current plan is for the WFL to sign 192 athletes in 2022 for their inaugural 2023 season.

Every WFL athlete contract will include a stipulation where the athlete will be paid a traditional purse amount or 3.125% of the revenue generated from the events in which they compete in, whichever is greater, sources say.

Where does the 3.125% number come from, you ask? Well, the thinking is that is equal to 50% divided by 16, which is the total number of athletes on each event.

Additionally, per league officials, the promotion has been in contact with Amazon Prime and DAZN, among others, in regards to their online streaming media rights. Nothing has been signed just yet, though.

Lastly, officials are hoping that they will be able to give athletes the option to be paid in either USD or crypto currency.

Source

Is it global fighters or not?

I have high hopes for this organisation.

Good luck, but I don't know how or where they will find almost 200 fighters of any type of worth. Sounds like it will be a lot of very raw talent.

I'm just not sure the MMA landscape needs more MMA content. I love the morals behinds the company with really trying be more fair with the fighters first and foremost when it comes to wages. Hope it works out but I just see a very tough up hill battle to get anyone to care. Almost wish a company like this makes their initial splash by buying up or coming together with some of the biggest orgs and launching this new org with these morals, ideals, and a roster that at the very least peaks MMA fans interest on some level and potential media partners.

Good luck, but I don't know how or where they will find almost 200 fighters of any type of worth. Sounds like it will be a lot of very raw talent.

I'm just not sure the MMA landscape needs more MMA content. I love the morals behinds the company with really trying be more fair with the fighters first and foremost when it comes to wages. Hope it works out but I just see a very tough up hill battle to get anyone to care. Almost wish a company like this makes their initial splash by buying up or coming together with some of the biggest orgs and launching this new org with these morals, ideals, and a roster that at the very least peaks MMA fans interest on some level and potential media partners.
Yeah, they should take over PFL or Bellator.

Prolly wont be much for the first few years or so...

Still I'll be tuning in for the feel and support.

Wonder how much recycled talent we will see the 1st season.

I think the talent level at least on the first 1-2 seasons will be lower
Much lower, I think. They should start on a much lower scale with 1-2 good prospects (bo nickal kind of thing) per weight class. Also, should concentrate on the deeper weight classes 125-170. Thats just my opinion, starting with such a big project will cost a lot of money and could be a recipe for disaster.

Much lower, I think. They should start on a much lower scale with 1-2 good prospects (bo nickal kind of thing) per weight class. Also, should concentrate on the deeper weight classes 125-170. Thats just my opinion, starting with such a big project will cost a lot of money and could be a recipe for disaster.
I agree no gray area here… a huge success or the XFL version of mma

Back