Economy UPS is delivering packages with self driving Semi's

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by PEB, Sep 11, 2019.

1. IGIT

IGIT Red Belt

hiya PEB,

i'm all for it, if it lowers my costs of using UPS.

and long haul truck drivers?

Since Overdrive asked this time last year just who then Presidential candidates its readers would most like to take on a ride-along journey to show the realities of the road firsthand, Donald Trump’s then high profile among truckers (he garnered 45 percent of the vote) has only risen higher.
    With all primary-season challengers to the presumptive nominees of the Republican and Democratic parties having bowed out of the race and major third-party candidates decided, Overdrive asked readers in July which candidate was most likely to get their vote come November. Three out of four are supporting the Republican.
    https://www.overdriveonline.com/election-2016-still-trumped-for-truckers/

i offer them my thoughts and prayers. now they get to use those bootstraps and start pulling - and taking personal responsibility.

oh, and they can just move to wherever there are new jobs.

- IGIT

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    7437 and BarryDillon like this.
  2. Liquid Smoke

Liquid Smoke Great artists steal™

I don't think they're completely autonomous but fair point.

MikeMcMann likes this.
  3. IGIT

IGIT Red Belt

heya there MikeMcMann,

yep, well said.

all of this can be addressed through tax policy.

the rich can get as rich as they are able to - just make the tax code more progressive.

- IGIT

4. Anung Un Rama

Anung Un Rama Idol of Millions Platinum Member

I guarantee there will be deaths, and that the lawsuit costs from those deaths are already cooked into the business model.
    But my point was that this isn't a topic like "the sun is coming up tomorrow *shrug" that should be dismissed with "its inevitable" and any concerns about it must inherently stray from "reality". There are going to be problems with its functionality and the broader impact of automation and AI on society as a whole.

edit: and I don't know that they will be safer than human drivers until automation replaces most human drivers (not just truckers)

MikeMcMann likes this.
  5. IGIT

IGIT Red Belt

hello 3xdasizofmeh!,

A Verdant Labs analysis of Federal Elections Commission data found that nearly three-quarters of truck drivers are Republican — one of the most conservative jobs in America, along with surgeons and farmers.

And truck drivers supported Trump in droves, according to an Overdrive magazine survey from 2016. About 75% said they planned to vote for Trump, up from 66% who supported Sen. Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential nominee in 2012.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/truckers-donald-trump-trade-war-taxes-2019-8

those GOP supporting truck drivers are just going to have to get another job. they'll have to work. dig ditches or something. they can be greeters at Walmart.

as the Trump White House has said, Expecting non-disabled working-age adults to work shouldn’t be controversial.

maybe they can clean dishes, clean the room at the Kimpton Hotel i stayed in Atlanta a few weekends ago, or go pick fruit. if we can drive the illegal immigrants out, those jobs should be open.

as the old saying, goes, Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

maybe their POTUS will buy them fishing poles.

- IGIT

7437 likes this.
  6. IDL

IDL Gold Belt

Hard to decipher your point here. They will keep their trucking jobs by voting Dem or something? Or that if people do lose a job because of a shrinking sector they shouldn't concern themselves with finding work somewhere else?

7. Fawlty

Fawlty Moving toward your mother

Obviously not dismissing it, just acknowledging we aren't going to stop the tide, so it's kind of a waste of energy to worry about it in a way that suggests we might want to stop it from happening.

Of course there will be software problems. But there's no way that automated driving doesn't have amazing results w/regard to traffic safety.

7437 and Anung Un Rama like this.
  8. IGIT

IGIT Red Belt

hiya IDL,

as truck drivers are kicked to the curb by automation, i'm just hoping they remember where their bootstraps are.

that's all i'm saying.

- IGIT

9. VivaRevolution

VivaRevolution Whoopin' Belt Platinum Member

Until a computer kills 1 person, and there is no one to hold responsible.

10. IDL

IDL Gold Belt

That's actually good advice, regardless of your mockery. People who do find themselves in a shrinking industry would benefit absolutely from putting in effort to find more work, retrain, etc. It seems like really the only path.

IGIT likes this.
  11. milliniar

milliniar Who needs a belt?

if you ever see one that looks like the green goblin watch out.

BarryDillon likes this.
  12. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

Insurance will be held accountable.

The question will be 'who pays for the Insurance'?

Is Insurance included with the Driverless car as part of the package because the Manufacture has to stand behind the system that is driving the car?

Or is the purchaser of the car supposed to have liability for how the driver less system performs?

I think that is a very interesting future question to deal with.

I mean how do you hold any person in this car liable or responsible for what an automated system they are not interacting with does as they are not even looking out the front windshield??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. KaNesDeath

KaNesDeath Black Belt

Industries that transform to automation must pay an additional tax that feeds directly into State/County Social Services programs.

Earlier today i saw a robot performing the duties of a custodian at my local big chain grocery store. That job is normally filled by hard luck or low IQ individuals. Even the self checkout lines resulted in only one cashier line being open.

14. VivaRevolution

Killing someone is a crime.

I don't owe someone money if I kill someone with a car, and I am at fault, I go to jail.

Who goes to jail when a computer kills someone?

15. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

What?

Do you know how many people are killed by cars each year driven by people?

What percent do you think get charged criminally? And what factor do you think separates that percent that gets charged criminally from those who do not?

7437 likes this.
  16. VivaRevolution

If you were at fault for a accident that killed someone, you get charged with manslaughter the majority of the time.

17. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

I am pretty sure that is not true and not even close to true.

Most accidents are not 'no fault'. Most have a party 'at fault'. And even when a death occurs there must be blatant negligence or recklessness and not just a mistake before charges are filed.

So if I change lanes and do not see you in my blindspot, I am at fault. But that is considered an 'accident' and would not incur criminal charges if I was otherwise driving fine. Mistakes are not criminalized.

A driverless car would never make a mistake involving that type of negligence or recklessness. It would be along the lines of a mistake.

I think you are way off here but would like to hear from some of Sherdog's legal beagles if they want to opinion.

18. 7437

7437 Yellow Card Yellow Card

That's not true.

19. VivaRevolution

Then help me understand why I have seen so many charged with manslaughter for making a mistake while driving.

A Kansas City Chiefs Wide Received from a few years back is the best example I can think of.

I FUCKING HATE GOOGLES NEW ALGORITHM!! YOU CANT FIND OLD STORIES!!!!!

I search KC chiefs wide receiver charged with manslaughter and all I get is Tyreek Hill stories, who was never involved with anything of the sort.

7437 likes this.
  20. 7437

7437 Yellow Card Yellow Card

Because you are making a mistake of thinking what you have seen is anywhere in the ballpark of all of them.

40,000 people a year die in car crashes. 110 a day. 4.5 million serious injuries. 12.3 thousand a day.

Edit: you thinking of dante stallworth? He was drunk.