Economy UPS is delivering packages with self driving Semi's

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by PEB, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

Inclement weather sure. But that reeks havoc now on human drivers. So again the threshold is BETTER, not perfect.

Speed is not really a big issue. The thing with 'connected' vehicles is that when one vehicle starts breaking they all start breaking. There is not the lag there is compared to human drivers which causes big problems and accidents. again perfect is not the goal, just BETTER. Way better.

it will be a mix of google map proximity plotting and near field communications and other tech that keeps the cars in constant contact.

I do agree that areas with Winter or hazardous weather will be the biggest challenge. I am most referring to the vast bulk of driving which is every day good weather, normal condition driving. the biggest gains will be in that huge market.

2. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

They'll crush that.

IGIT likes this.
  3. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

"Support" is not a word that applies here.

I RECOGNIZE that technology is replacing workers in factories and doctors in surgeries. That is happening whether I support it or not. I do recognize it and can speak to what is happening.

It is going to cause massive havoc on our systems of employment for sure. For more wealth due to productivity gains but how do you divide that such that not only the people on the top get it while those who lost all those jobs dont get left behind? Because if you leave them all behind, the rich will have gains up front but run out customers and everyone will suffer long term.

4. Liquid Smoke

Liquid Smoke Great artists steal™

Self driving cars are coming and there will be plusses and minuses. But you're vastly underestimating the problem.

5. 3xdasizofmeh!

3xdasizofmeh! Yellow Belt

And more people will be left homeless, possible living on the street we’re said cars are going to be.$$$$

6. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

I guess we'll see.

The technology is in its infancy and if you've seen similar technology ramp ups what you see today will be dwarfed shortly in performance and today's driving cars are already rivalling human drivers.

7. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

its going to be a massive challenge.

8. Oliver Clothesoff

Oliver Clothesoff Brown Belt Platinum Member

To be fair, most of the homeless are there because they have mental problems or are are addicts who need treatment. A good portion of the rest who are able bodied would probably do more to help themselves if zoning laws were enforced and they were not being given taxpayer funded subsidies and resources that make it easier for them to be homeless rather than getting a job like the rest of us. ;)

9. djacobox372

djacobox372 Gold Belt

If jobs are what we're worried about, we shouldn't be attacking the automation that will save thousands of lives, why not keep the self driving cars and make some other technology illegal that would create more and better jobs than a truck-driver.

Perhaps we should outlaw computer banking, that would create a ton of local jobs while also decreasing computer bank fraud.

10. IDL

IDL Gold Belt

How do they even stay awake is another question

But yeah they are there in 'training your replacement' capacity. But hey, it's a job that pays.

11. IDL

IDL Gold Belt

[​IMG]

12. Anung Un Rama

Anung Un Rama Idol of Millions Platinum Member

Ever have a problem with a computer? A program? An app?

So....? So what? Just hope it doesn't affect us? Or discuss the potential ramifications of massive automation? What is unrealistic about that?
    And lots of things are inevitable, which is why we tend to prepare for them, or mitigate the negative consequences to the best of our ability.
    Not enough people are talking about this IRL. Why do you feel compelled to dismiss a worthy topic like this?

SIRGAY HARITONOB! and 7437 like this.
  13. IDL

IDL Gold Belt

There will undoubtedly be issues, but I think it will become sort of like aircraft crashes, where each one is treated very seriously and investigated because they are so bad for PR, leading to an extreme incentive for safety.

Statistically I am sure they will be safer than human drivers.

There are issues with automation and job loss no doubt but I don't think the argument that they might kill someone really works.

14. Liquid Smoke

What technology has been able to automate a system as dynamic as a highway at rush hour? This ain't your grand daddy's assembly line...

15. 7437

7437 Yellow Card Yellow Card

Given how well people handle that situation, it doesnt need to be perfect. Just better.

16. Liquid Smoke

Here's one metric they'll have to beat: 1.25 deaths per 100 million miles driven.

17. 7437

Google is over 10 million miles with no serious incidents I am aware of, fatal or otherwise.
    https://waymo.com/safety/

The automated cars have a couple advantages that make it basically guaranteed that it is safer. Namely that it doesnt speed, doesn't get drunk, and it doesnt get distracted. Those are the 3 biggest causes of crashes and they are just not involved anymore.

18. IDL

IDL Gold Belt

Maybe dirty sensors is the equivalent of being a drunk driver :D

19. 7437

As long as fucking Boeing isnt making it I'm sure that will be accounted for

20. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

Airplanes can fully fly themselves including take off and landing now.

I think that is a pretty dynamic system.

7437 and Liquid Smoke like this.