Economy UPS is delivering packages with self driving Semi's

I dont really think we have much choice in the matter. If you need to send something or oder something what are you going to do? I already dont support amazon but it doesnt seem to matter.

In the near future ubi is going to become a necessity to deal with all the obsolete people technology is going to create unless you want to pass some anti technology laws and I dont see that happening

What is your solution tonot being "dependent on the government and enslaved to corps "?
Whip the masses into a luddite furor that moves through breaking up tech megacorps and eventually ends with the bloody slaughter and overthrow of many of the captains of industry till society devolves into a dystopian Mad Max-esque apocalyptic landscape. Or, just continue to bitch about on the net. Which comes first.

You can’t stop technological advancement to save jobs.
Why not? Seriously, why not? Why MUST there be continued progress that hastens the obsolescence of man? Or better yet, just because we can build a robot to replace a man why do so? Profit? Is that that truly a sufficient justification? How much profit is enough?

Why not? Seriously, why not? Why MUST there be continued progress that hastens the obsolescence of man? Or better yet, just because we can build a robot to replace a man why do so? Profit? Is that that truly a sufficient justification? How much profit is enough?
If you want to paint horses on the wall of your cave I'm not going to stop you but the rest of the world will keep moving on.
The trick is to harness technology so that it can benefit the most people and not just the few who own everything.
I mean if you are going to force companies to pay drivers they don't need why not just tax them at a higher rate and use the money to pay those drivers to do something useful? That makes at least as much sense to me.

If you want to paint horses on the wall of your cave I'm not going to stop you but the rest of the world will keep moving on.
The trick is to harness technology so that it can benefit the most people and not just the few who own everything.
I mean if you are going to force companies to pay drivers they don't need why not just tax them at a higher rate and use the money to pay those drivers to do something useful? That makes at least as much sense to me.
Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with technological progress. But tech that eventually is used to replace people eventually paints society into a box where you have less and less jobs for people to earn a living with. Unless you believe in some utopian dream where everyone goes around writing poetry and thinking deep thoughts while all their needs are catered to.

If you develop to a point where technology replaces man's utility you eventually create a technocracy which controls everything with that technology. We see that to a degree now with Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc... How much of our societal life do they actually control now? They weld considerable control over how we communicate, how we learn, what we learn and even how politics are influenced. All that power concentrated in hands of a relatively few groups or individuals compared to masses around them. Is that really any different than be controlled by banks or any other mega-corps?

But the original point I was making is that while there is no real reason to not explore, innovate, grow and learn what that is used for and who it displaces is very much an issue that in all honesty hasn't been addressed. We are creating a future problem for which we haven't even really started working on solutions for. Well, unless everyone goes on the dole. How much of the worlds population do you believe are really going to thrive in a world that doesn't need the majority of them as anything other than consumers?

Not for this, but it seems like hazmat driving might not go away.

If I had to guess, I'd think they'll probably try it and then find that robots cost more between startup and lawsuits and switch back to people.

Lawsuits? Automated drivers are alot safer than humans already.

Lawsuits? Automated drivers are alot safer than humans already.
They probably are, but the responsibility is 100% on the company. They can't fire someone if a robot crashes into something to alleviate the payout.

Where were all these naysayers when NAFTA shipped half of our jobs overseas? The solution to offset the loss of jobs to technology is to continue brining back manufacturing jobs, remain energy independent, and buy American made goods. That's a way we can all support American Workers.

All that money they could potentially save will be paid out via lawsuits when something goes haywire and one of their vehicles plows into a few others and kills/severely injures people. How would insurance even work for a vehicle without a human driver I wonder.
Yea technology is coming, but it’s smart monkeys who are creating said technology. You know how there this thing called “human error”.. have you ever used your gps?? If you have then you know it’s not at 100% success rate, it will never ever be 100 percent correct no matter how much we try. Now apply what I wrote to “self driving vehicles”...

much easier than for human drivers and human error actually.

the accident rates per mile, minor or serious incidents are already a fraction in the 8 million miles googles self driving cars have logged and they are adding more than 25,000 miles a day.

This is an Insurance Companies dreams as total claims will go way, way down.
I am pretty sure it’s not google who came out with that study(sarcasm). We really don’t know if they are safer with humans on the road. Until we get one of the “vehicles on the road full time in a big city. (nyc,la). Not in little shithole of a city in the dessert.

Higher costs yes. More accidents, not sure. According to this there are 1.25 deaths per 100 million vehicle miles in the US. I know deaths are not accidents but the point is the frequency is very low.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transportation_safety_in_the_United_States
Once automated cars are perfected they will be virtually accident free. They will all interact not just by what they view outside the car but each will know the proximity of every other vehicle on the road and the distances between will be a constant.

You will still get things like animals or kids running into the road type accidents. But vehicle to vehicle accidents due to poor driving (the bulk of accidents) will be no more.

Once automated cars are perfected they will be virtually accident free. They will all interact not just by what they view outside the car but each will know the proximity of every other vehicle on the road and the distances between will be a constant.

You will still get things like animals or kids running into the road type accidents. But vehicle to vehicle accidents due to poor driving (the bulk of accidents) will be no more.
Only problem is that perfection does not exist Does your car run forever? No it’s never going to no matter how much technology evolves. A general rule is “nothing last forever”

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we catch excellence”

I am pretty sure it’s not google who came out with that study(sarcasm). We really don’t know if they are safer with humans on the road. Until we get one of the “vehicles on the road full time in a big city. (nyc,la). Not in little shithole of a city in the dessert.
Ahem.... Ahem...

DMV Clears Waymo Driverless Cars in 5 Cities

Waymo, the robotic car company created by Google, is poised to attempt a major technological leap in California, where its vehicles will hit the roads without a human on hand to take control in emergencies...

The self-driving cars have traveled millions of miles on the state's roads since Waymo began as a secretive project within Google nearly a decade ago. But a backup driver had been required to be behind the wheel until new regulations in April set the stage for the transition to true autonomy.

Waymo is the first among dozens of companies testing self-driving cars in California to persuade state regulators its technology is safe enough to permit them on the roads without a safety driver in them. An engineer still must monitor the fully autonomous cars from a remote location and be able to steer and stop the vehicles if something goes wrong.

But California has a much larger population and far more congestion than Arizona, making it an even more challenging place for robotic cars to get around. ...

Waymo starts commercial ride-share service

• After months of testing, Waymo has officially launched the country’s first commercial autonomous ride-share service.
  • Initially, the service will be limited to cities surrounding Phoenix, including Tempe, Mesa and Chandler.

After months of testing and millions of miles developing self-driving vehicle technology, Waymo has officially launched the country’s first commercial autonomous ride-share service.

The company’s Waymo One program will give customers rides in self-driving vehicles 24 hours a day. Initially, the service will be limited to cities surrounding Phoenix, including Tempe, Mesa and Chandler.

Only problem is that perfection don’t exist with these things? Does your car run forever? No it’s never going to no matter how much technology evolves. A general rule is “nothing last forever”
i cannot figure out what point you are trying to make here, sorry.

I'll hazard a guess.

Self driving cars don't have to be perfect. They just have to be better than human driven ones to make sense. And they certainly don't have to last forever.

Way optimistic buddy. Say all cars are automated, there will be a push to get things moving as fast as possible. We'll still have the problem of having to stop a 4,000 object moving 65 mph in seconds. We'll also still have ice and rain and fautly tires and breaks. Don't forget radio communication isn't perfect. Ever get static on the radio while driving? The inter-vehicle communication systems will have the same issues.

Self driving cars don't have to be perfect. They just have to be better than human driven ones to make sense. And they certainly don't have to last forever.
That was the point of my first reply. They have to beat 1 death per 100 million miles driven to beat us.

Ahem.... Ahem...

DMV Clears Waymo Driverless Cars in 5 Cities

Waymo, the robotic car company created by Google, is poised to attempt a major technological leap in California, where its vehicles will hit the roads without a human on hand to take control in emergencies...

The self-driving cars have traveled millions of miles on the state's roads since Waymo began as a secretive project within Google nearly a decade ago. But a backup driver had been required to be behind the wheel until new regulations in April set the stage
i cannot figure out what point you are trying to make here, sorry.

I'll hazard a guess.

so you support the rich assholes who will replace all of us(you too no matter what you say).. and they’re only a tad safer than human driver. And you’re a fan??? Are you a gay robot (nothing wrong with it).

Back