Economy UPS is delivering packages with self driving Semi's

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
There is still a driver but they are just there to make sure things don't go south. But UPS is evaluating the technology but this could cost 10's of thousands of jobs. Technology executives have been talking about this for sometime but the technology is coming very quickly. UPS says that it will cut shipping costs by over 30 percent. No one trucking company will take a stand and say we will not use this technology. The impact on jobs is huge no doubt drivers will lose tons of jobs. UPS took a minority stake in the company as they continue to develop this technology. They are doing this in Arizona where they have had a number of self driving programs running out of that state.

You're still gonna need people behind the wheel full time. But yah, eventually long haul drivers will be a thing of the past, with a few drivers still doing specialized jobs like tanker/grain trucks, construction hauling, and Hazmat loads which 100% require an actual human to be with the truck.

All that money they could potentially save will be paid out via lawsuits when something goes haywire and one of their vehicles plows into a few others and kills/severely injures people. How would insurance even work for a vehicle without a human driver I wonder.

Keep supporting companies that automate away American jobs. Profit over People. They'll get you on that dole one way or another. Dependent on the government and enslaved to the corps.

It sounds like it will be much safer before too long. No falling asleep at the wheel, no aggressive driving are two big ones. Hope they don't skimp on blind spot detection though. We'll need thorough techs checking these out at every stop. What about refueling/recharging though?

I guess this thread is bound to take a turn away from reality, with lots of complaining about automation. Meh, it's inevitable, so...?

And watch, *somehow* their prices will still go up <{Heymansnicker}>
Kind of like how in the mid to late 2000s, gas rose to $4+ a gallon. Most industries and companies raised prices to compensate. Then gas went back down to $2~, and they all kept their prices high for a higher profit.

All that money they could potentially save will be paid out via lawsuits when something goes haywire and one of their vehicles plows into a few others and kills/severely injures people. How would insurance even work for a vehicle without a human driver I wonder.
Same way it would with a human driver. Better question is how would tickets work for non-human drivers! Eventually one of these self-driving vehicles will make a mistake when they lose signal or something. lol

Fed ex < UPS < USPS

If you don’t use usps, you’re doing it wrong.

Keep supporting companies that automate away American jobs. Profit over People. They'll get you on that dole one way or another. Dependent on the government and enslaved to the corps.

I dont really think we have much choice in the matter. If you need to send something or oder something what are you going to do? I already dont support amazon but it doesnt seem to matter.

In the near future ubi is going to become a necessity to deal with all the obsolete people technology is going to create unless you want to pass some anti technology laws and I dont see that happening

What is your solution tonot being "dependent on the government and enslaved to corps "?

I dont really think we have much choice in the matter. If you need to send something or oder something what are you going to do? I already dont support amazon but it doesnt seem to matter.

In the near future ubi is going to become a necessity to deal with all the obsolete people technology is going to create unless you want to pass some anti technology laws and I dont see that happening

What is your solution tonot being "dependent on the government and enslaved to corps "?
Moving to Africa

Straight up

You can’t stop technological advancement to save jobs. We have to train and educate people to do the jobs of the future.

are you going to fight in some fucked up war wearing a pair of sweat pants and tuxedo shoes ?
the-hyena-and-other-men-pieter-hugo-11.jpg

Automation = Loss of jobs = Less consumers

You can’t stop technological advancement to save jobs. We have to train and educate people to do the jobs of the future.

problem with this is we are going to need less people to do these jobs, some people are too old to retrain and some are too stupid to grasp more advanced concepts. No matter how you slice and dice it there are going to be a lot of people left behind . I live in Michigan and I have heard the we just gotta retrain people line almost my entire life. Take a look at Detroit and Flint ..... thats whats coming to a town near you and faster than most think.

Lol, imagine being a "driver" but not actually driving and knowing you're just there until things go smoothly enough for them to fire you.

Closet gays and meth heads are going to be pissed when they find out they can't blow each other at truck stops in exchange for $37k/year.

... No one trucking company will take a stand and say we will not use this technology. ..

that company would rightly go bankrupt due to much higher costs and far more accidents.

This will be the biggest safety advancement seen since we became a driving economy. There is no stopping it. But yes it is coming much faster than I would have guessed. See the Google self driving cars driving around Arizona and some other State(s).

And to all you, who believe they will pry the keys and control out of your hands over your dead body, prepared to die as you won't be driving either. Once the Stats are and undeniable that self driving vehicles are far safer, and more importantly almost all remaining accidents are human error, and the more humans you stop driving the safer it gets for everyone, you are doomed.

Back