1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Ups and downs, peaks and valleys.

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by fan22, Oct 1, 2010.

1. fan22

fan22 Brown Belt

Had one of those nights tonight while training. No energy, nothing I tried worked. Got subbed at will.

I am thinking about taking a couple of days off, refocus and start with a refreshed mind(and body for that matter).

What do you guys do to get out these ruts in training??

2. dazed863

dazed863 Blue Belt

taking time off is helpful sometimes but it can kill your cardio. even a week and i can tell a huge difference.

i just keep training. you're going to be submitted there is no way around that for 99% of but when i'm in a rut i'll work on something specific.... like lately it's been let my opponent start to work a pass and i'll try and transition to open guard. work the open guard as long as possible and if i get passed and subbed oh well.... just means i get to work on what i intended to come to class for anyway.

3. cenix

cenix Orange Belt

i know how you feel. i handle it by taking a day off, and going back to training. i've never gotten angry about getting submitted/tapped and neither should you as long as you're training. i'd be more angry if you didn't realize why you were submitted/tapped.

4. nefti

nefti Red Belt

"sometimes you're gonna be the nail; and the day it's time for you to be the nail. Take it like a man, take it like it's your time. It's your turn to be on the other end of the stick, and just gotta take it... that's it."
    -renzo gracie via ricardo amnesia in LEGACY

5. Sayian

Sayian Blue Belt

its not anger, but disappointment.. it feels like the hardwork youve put in doesnt account to much when you get tooled so badly.

@nefti.
    great quote

6. NateTx4112

NateTx4112 Brown Belt

I tend to think it's better to step foot on the mat as soon as possible instead of taking time off to "refocus". Why dwell on a bad day? If your body is sore, take some time. If you are just not mentally ready, toughen up and get back on the mat.

7. monkeypizza

monkeypizza White Belt

8. Lutador011

Lutador011 Blue Belt

It's simple: PLATEUS ARA A MUST, you can't get around them. If you are plateu-ing you are improving...you heard me

9. Graunie

Graunie Blue Belt

Isn't it the nail and then the hammer? Just for the guys that haven't heard the quote before.

10. KahleyTriangles

KahleyTriangles Blue Belt

As much as we all don't like plateaus or "bad" rolls, I have begun to actually look forward to them, because guess what? This is your time when your game is ready to grow, to adapt.

Yeah it sucks at the time because all that happens is you getting your butt kicked but just trust that it's making you better. Sometimes depending on how I feel, I either just take a few days off, or just tackle it headstrong. You can't go wrong either way. The only wrong way to tackle a plateau is to quit, which is always the wrong option.

Good luck and good training!