Upright Rows/Bent Over Rows

Don't Upright ones work your shoulders and Bent Over ones do your back? I thought they were for 2 different things anyway, but I'm sure the more knowledgeable people could correct me?

HevyDevyGK said:
Don't Upright ones work your shoulders and Bent Over ones do your back? I thought they were for 2 different things anyway, but I'm sure the more knowledgeable people could correct me?

Upright rows are also supposed to be for your back, but mostly your upper back. If you do them correctly, they will work your lats, but they inevitably work your shoulders and your traps (which some people consider a part of the "neck" or "shoulders" but is often classified as a "back" muscle). I like upright rows because they focus on your upper back in a way that bent rows do not.

How will upright rows hit your lats if you do them "correctly"????????????

I'm fairly sure upright rows concentrate and hit primarily the lateral head of your shoulder.

I've always felt them in my traps, and medial delts mostly.

They're not a great excercise, but early on in my lifting I got some decent trap development out of doing them. Use a narrow grip if you do choose to do them though.

Isn't the narrow grip the one that impinges your rotator cuffs?

CarnalSalvation said:
I've always felt them in my traps, and medial delts mostly.

They're not a great excercise, but early on in my lifting I got some decent trap development out of doing them. Use a narrow grip if you do choose to do them though.

Back