Upright Rows/Bent Over Rows

HevyDevyGK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can someone point me in the direction of how a bent over row should be done properly. I have been doing Upright ones for a few months, but I noticed the bent over ones seem to be regarded here as being more productive.

The consensus seems to be that upright rows aren't too good for your rotator cuffs, and are inferior at strength building compared to bent over rows (I've never heard of anyone upright rowing any appreaciable weight).
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BBBentOverRow.html

It's a pretty no frills exercise, bend at the waist, and pull the weight. Perhaps there are nuances I'm not aware of.

I hear bent over is better, standing hurts my wrist a bit.

Well I can only do 3x8 upright with 45kg but I've only been lifting for about 4 or 5 months.

I might just do both, don't know if that's a bad idea, as I could do with adding another excersise to my Pull day.

Thanks for that link, stupid question, but do you let the bar hit the floor?

Upright rows don't bring a lot to a routine IMO. Bent over rows, however, are cock diesel and on par with pullups for back development. I would say that bent over rows are MORE complete than pullups, but which one you use and when is dependent on your routine.

I train in my house, and i can't find anywhere where I can do pull ups, which is very annoying :mad:

Think I'll attempt my bent over rows next week then.

Urban said:
Upright rows don't bring a lot to a routine IMO. Bent over rows, however, are cock diesel and on par with pullups for back development. I would say that bent over rows are MORE complete than pullups, but which one you use and when is dependent on your routine.

Why do you think Bent over rows are more complete then pullups? Not saying your wrong, I just always thought weighted pullups where the shit when you wanted to build up your back.

hughes said:
The consensus seems to be that upright rows aren't too good for your rotator cuffs, and are inferior at strength building compared to bent over rows (I've never heard of anyone upright rowing any appreaciable weight).

It's a pretty no frills exercise, bend at the waist, and pull the weight. Perhaps there are nuances I'm not aware of.

Is that good form on bent rows? I was always under the impression that your chest was suppose to be parallel to the ground.

Carnal says you don't have to do them as strict as that, and since he BORs 4 plates, I'm having a hard time disagreeing with what he says with regards to them.

SpAzNeT said:
Is that good form on bent rows? I was always under the impression that your chest was suppose to be parallel to the ground.

I think you can be at certain angles, not everyone can go parrallel.

SpAzNeT said:

NO, thats not good form, you shouldn't be using momentum to "row" or pull the weight. As well you do not have to be parallel.

the difference between upright rows and bent-over rows is that upright rows are a shoulder exercise (not back), specifically the trapezius muscles, while some consider these back muscles. Upright rows target the traps, anterior (front) deltoids and create separation between the deltoids and pectorals. Bent-over rows (barbell or dumbell) on the other had target the lats and add mass and thickness to your back.

also, you need both chinups and rows to fully develop a well balanced and strengthened back

Upright rows are waste of exercise time, in my opinion. Doing both bent over rows and high clean pulls will develop much more applicable strength than uprights, and will be less taxing on the rotator cuffs.

Pull ups are different from bent over rows. One is a vertical pulling movement, the other is a horizontal pulling movement. Bent overs mainly hit the rhomboid and trapezius muscles while pull ups have more emphasis on the latissimus dorsi. In terms of grappling, other sports or general applications, the row is probably more beneficial. However, in my opinion its best to include both in your routine, just as most people include both push presses (vertical pushing) and bench presses (horizontal pushing).

You SHOULD use momentum on rows, sorry guys. Not a ton. I explain it like this, you don't want them to be strict, so put some "body english into them" to remove the biceps from the lift and really put your upper back into it, but make sure it doesn't turn into a powerclean to the belly.

Narrowish grip, a little bit of leg cheat, torso closer to 90 than 45, but not AT 90, tuck the elbows and bring the weight to the xyphoid process or lower.

Please note that for fat guys, upping the torso angle can actually increase the ROM. I weigh 310lbs, I am not a fat tub of lard, but I am a chunky guy, as as a result my belly is in the way much more if I am totally bent over, than even at say, an 80 degree angle.

That guy in the GIF animation has good form. Using a little bit of momentum will actually reduce the strain on your lower back and reduce your chances of hurting yourself.

to throw a couple of variables to this discussion-- what about reverse grip? And barbell bent-over rows vs. dumbbell bent-over rows?

thanks for any help here, I've been making some changes to my routine, and bent over rows are a part of it.

CarnalSalvation said:
You SHOULD use momentum on rows, sorry guys. Not a ton. I explain it like this, you don't want them to be strict, so put some "body english into them" to remove the biceps from the lift and really put your upper back into it, but make sure it doesn't turn into a powerclean to the belly.

Narrowish grip, a little bit of leg cheat, torso closer to 90 than 45, but not AT 90, tuck the elbows and bring the weight to the xyphoid process or lower.

Please note that for fat guys, upping the torso angle can actually increase the ROM. I weigh 310lbs, I am not a fat tub of lard, but I am a chunky guy, as as a result my belly is in the way much more if I am totally bent over, than even at say, an 80 degree angle.

Yea one time i felt my biceps buring and learned (Throw your back into it) realy isnt just a saying.

I had my attempt at bent over rows and couldn't have been doin them right, i was feeling it in my biceps and lower back. hmm.

need to video myself doin it so i can see where im goin wrong

hughes said:

I have no idea why any of you are comparing upright rows and bent rows, or ragging on upright rows. They are completely different exercises that engage vastly different portions of your back. If done with proper form they will not damage your rotator cuffs and are an execellent exercise to work into your standard back program.

In terms of of health to your back, in fact, I would say that there are a vast number of injuries coming from bent barbell rows using poor form and/or too much weight. Executing a good bent barbell row is somewhat complicated like most compound movements and it takes time to get it down right.

Never been a big fan of 'B.O.Rs' so I opt for t-bars. I can do 4 plates on those :D plus you really can't screw those up.

BOR's are better than UR's but after some consideration/experimentation I DO NOT think that UR's are altogether useless.

Back