Upgrading to a new TV soon. TV gurus GTFIH.

It’s a tad above your budget, but the LG CX OLED is really sweet and maybe the best reasonably priced TV on the market. 55” $1399. Not sure if there will be any Black Friday sales or not for this model, but it’s something to consider. You could also maybe find an open box one that would be in your budget.

In addition to the more affordable TCLs mentioned, Hisense H9G seems pretty good in that price range too.

From what i understand, at least comparing the budget models of each brand, Samsung used to be the better option but LG has taken them over in recent years (whether it's local dimming, IPS vs VA panels, max brightness or contrast ratios, etc...).

For just above the bottom level, I have heard excellent things about the Sony X900h or 950h and the TCL and Hisense H9G

rtings.com is a great site for all info on TV specs and calibration

the real concerning thing is lack of HDMI 2.1 on non baller TVs, especially w/ the new gaming consoles requiring them basically for 120fps at 4k

www.rtings.com

Any TV for any purpose has a rating here. Gaming, movies, streaming, video chat. All that!

the real concerning thing is lack of HDMI 2.1 on non baller TVs, especially w/ the new gaming consoles requiring them basically for 120fps at 4k
Yup. I also would be a little wary of buying oled for gaming or pc use due to risk of burn-in. I ended up ordering a Samsung Q90T 65”

Not meaning to dilute the thread needlessly, but Bluray.com is keeping track of Black Friday deals on movie titles. Physical media is currently still crisper than streaming versions, but it's a dying media so let's pump up those numbers.

tenor.gif

Not meaning to dilute the thread needlessly, but Bluray.com is keeping track of Black Friday deals on movie titles. Physical media is currently still crisper than streaming versions, but it's a dying media so let's pump up those numbers.

tenor.gif
I still have my Xbox One S, sitting next to my Series S specifically for this reason, to play BR and 4k BR discs
Even better the Xbox allows a 'let receiver decode audio' option to get true DD HD or likely DTS: HD master audio from BR discs

Yup. I also would be a little wary of buying oled for gaming or pc use due to risk of burn-in. I ended up ordering a Samsung Q90T 65”

exactly this, oled will cause burn in

I like my 65" Samsung Qled

If your on a budget TCL is actually pretty good qaulity - they don't last more than 5 years tho.

So I decided to pull the trigger and get the 65" TCL 4 Series with Android TV from Target for $229. Paid $399, but will have them price match once the price drops in a couple of days. Worse case if I don't like it or something more enticing pops up I'll just return it.

So I decided to pull the trigger and get the 65" TCL 4 Series with Android TV from Target for $229. Paid $399, but will have them price match once the price drops in a couple of days. Worse case if I don't like it or something more enticing pops up I'll just return it.

Hmmm, I was waiting for the Airpods Pro to go on sale at Walmart on Nov 25th at $169. I wonder if I bought it now for $199 they’ll price adjust.

Hmmm, I was waiting for the Airpods Pro to go on sale at Walmart on Nov 25th at $169. I wonder if I bought it now for $199 they’ll price adjust.
Not sure about Walmart, but here is Target's policy. The last bullet point talks about the price adjustment up until 12/24.
upload_2020-11-18_13-2-14.png

QLED TVs are getting super cheap, are brighter than OLED tvs and have very good picture quality. I think TCL started making them too and aren't too expensive.

Recently bought an ONN. 4K 50 inch for 128 bucks at Wal Mart for my garage gym area.
Yup I just ordered this TCL tv a couple hours ago.

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/TCL-55S4...&qid=1605733940&sprefix=tcl&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1

Hell, the LED version is $399 but I wanted to go with a QLED for better quality and it has solid reviews everywhere I checked.

US prices must be even cheaper.

Years ago i remember people paying $2000-$2500 for a 55" TV. It used to be a big deal. These days you get more advanced TVs for dirt cheap.

If you like to DIY and reduce your carbon footprint, some people have been repurposing their old flat-panel televisions into light sources.

Don't just take it from me:

Yup I just ordered this TCL tv a couple hours ago.

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/TCL-55S425-CA-Ultra-Smart-LED/dp/B0884XC76V/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=tcl+55+inch&qid=1605733940&sprefix=tcl&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1

Hell, the LED version is $399 but I wanted to go with a QLED for better quality and it has solid reviews everywhere I checked.

US prices must be even cheaper.

Years ago i remember people paying $2000-$2500 for a 55" TV. It used to be a big deal. These days you get more advanced TVs for dirt cheap.
TCL makes some decent sets for the price. Oh dude 8 years ago I bought a 55 LCD smart TV for 900 bucks on black friday which was a steal at the time. Now you can find sets with way better smart user interfaces, brightness, picture quality and sound for less than half the price it's insane.

TCL makes some decent sets for the price. Oh dude 8 years ago I bought a 55 LCD smart TV for 900 bucks on black friday which was a steal at the time. Now you can find sets with way better smart user interfaces, brightness, picture quality and sound for less than half the price it's insane.

Capitalism is great.

Back