Upgrading to a new TV soon. TV gurus GTFIH.

boingyman

If can, can. If no can, no can.
@red
Reaction score
Planning on finally upgrading our TV in the family room. Currently have a old 55" Samsung 5 series from 2014 so my standards are really not high whatsoever. No gaming, rarely watching sports on that TV as my wife and kids pretty much take it over. Mostly used to watch shows/movies on streaming services.

Considering anything between 65-75". I'm a cheap ass so of course I don't mind something cheaper, but budget can range anywhere between $500-1000ish. From my research seems like for a affordable QLED the TCL 6 series is a good buy although may be at the upper-end of budget. I use to be a Samsung TV guy, but I really don't care what brand. Will be looking out for black friday and holiday deals in the next couple weeks.

Suggestions? Anyone else planning on upgrading?

Last edited:
I wouldn't time my purchase with the Black Friday sales since online retailers are offloading older models plus they tend to do weird things with pricing leading up to sale-days, which skews your sense of value. Take about three months to monitor pricing and research to a point you feel comfortable you're making a solid purchase, based primarily on the following factors: a television is not permanent, eyes will adjust to any level of resolution, and advancements in technology never cease.

Might go with with a Sony XBR75X950H

But my if I can bs it, will go wild on a 77" Sony OLED XBR77A9G

I wouldn't time my purchase with the Black Friday sales since online retailers are offloading older models plus they tend to do weird things with pricing leading up to sale-days, which skews your sense of value. Take about three months to monitor pricing and research to a point you feel comfortable you're making a solid purchase, based primarily on the following factors: a television is not permanent, eyes will adjust to any level of resolution, and advancements in technology never cease.
Yeah, I'm in no rush. I have already been looking at previous deals on various models to get an idea what sales have happened in the past year. I'm not picky, although the more research I do the more I seem to want. At least with a cheap budget I'm limiting myself as all the higher end OLED/QLED models are way over my budget for the size I want. The bonus of going cheaper means I may be able to spend the rest on half decent speakers.

Yeah, I'm in no rush. I have already been looking at previous deals on various models to get an idea what sales have happened in the past year. I'm not picky, although the more research I do the more I seem to want. At least with a cheap budget I'm limiting myself as all the higher end OLED/QLED models are way over my budget for the size I want. The bonus of going cheaper means I may be able to spend the rest on half decent speakers.

What speakers are you getting?

What speakers are you getting?
No idea. I'm cheap and not a audiophile, so probably something lower in price and decent. Any suggestions? I know back in the days some of the Vizo soundbar/subs were decent for the price. Sonos Beam will be $289 at Costco after Thanksgiving. I know it's old compared to the newer tech such as the Arc, but I may give it a shot since I can always easily return it to Costco.

No idea. I'm cheap and not a audiophile, so probably something lower in price and decent. Any suggestions? I know back in the days some of the Vizo soundbar/subs were decent for the price. Sonos Beam will be $289 at Costco after Thanksgiving. I know it's old compared to the newer tech such as the Arc, but I may give it a shot since I can always easily return it to Costco.

Ahh... ok. I'm not up on soundbars. I thought you were talking a stereo/surround sound setup.

I want to get a google type TV.

Lol I am still using a CRT

I have a dilemma on the same level:
The new XBox Series S doesn't have a Digital out (optical or coaxial)
my AVR is supposedly 4k passthrough, but it doesn't recognize anything above 30fps, so i can't run HDMI through it

So now i have to output to the TV in Stereo/PCM and then either bitstream out as DD (which the Samsung TV has a slight input lag) or go PCM to the AVR and use Dolby Pro Logic II or DTS Neo: 6 to get surround that way

So I feel you, TS, I feel you.

A TV is probably the most used appliance that we own so I don't mind spending a bit more to get nice one. I have always gone with the top of the line Sony and so far, I've never been disappointed.

Ahh... ok. I'm not up on soundbars. I thought you were talking a stereo/surround sound setup.
Maybe one day I'll get a surround sound setup, but I'm not picky enough to really care. We often just use the TV speakers to be honest, lol. In the loft we have a old HDTV from 2008 with even older computer speakers I got in 2005 hooked up to them. Also as the kids get older the loft may be used more often for that purpose. If that's the case then I may get a decent 5.1 surround sound system since it would be easier to set up compared to the very open family room space.

There's got to be some sort of wireless hub for multiple earbuds/headphones. Surround sound is no longer in fashion unless you can build into your walls and the advent of ASMR, I feel, is directly linked to the preference for earbuds. If this is the kid's television, an earbud hub might be ideal for keeping down ambient noise pollution.

I have a Samsung 32" that's going strong after 10 years and several moves.

I have a 65" vizio that's 5 years old, never been moved, and already has two LED's burned out causing dark clouds on the screen.

Take that for what it's worth.

I don't have any kind of brand loyalty when it comes to TVs. I used to be a Panasonic guy, but now I'll research and get what I need based upon reviews and price TS. We have 5 TVs in our house, as follows:

Master Bedroom -----> 46" 2009 Panasonic Plasma TV. Still going strong. Great picture. Zero problems. This was the first flat screen TV we ever owned (replaced a 1994 27" Sony Trinitron)

Daughters Bedroom ----> 32" Panasonic LCD circa 2014/15. She still uses it regularly, though I've never watched it.

Living Room -----> 32" Samsung Smart TV. Bought this Christmas of 2016 for my wife. She loves it. She watches most of her TV shows/programs on this one.

Basement Rec Room ----> 55" Sharp Roku Smart TV. This is my son's TV, as he (basically) lives in the basement. He moved it out of his room during COVID to put a desk/computer in his room. Previously we had the 46" Panasonic in there.

Home Theatre Room -----> Epson HD Projector. Bought this at the end of 2015 for the home theater room. The screen size there is 110". Full 7.1 (expandable to 9.2) surround sound in there etc etc. I want to replace this Projector now with a 4K Smart one, but those are $$$$$$.

Anyway, good luck with your hunt TS.

What's the most HDMI ports they come with? I need more than 3 of them.

I don't want a spyware Smart TV, so might just buy a high res monitor, but I need sleep timer and remote control.

Back