UPDATED: 20 PERCENT of the UFC roster is from contender series

A) isnt that the purpose of the show

B) he doesnt give contracts to every fighter in every show

C) TUF was better as it gave people a chance to be familiar with the guys before gettinf them signed which fans liked

D) New blood is good for the UFC some divisions need grooming , i just wish theyd target those weight classes more then ones already packed...
(HW needs help, LHW needs help, 185 and 125 need help and womans 145 needs help)

Is there a significant difference between getting guys off DWCS and picking guys from random regional orgs? Would be interesting to keep a tally of how many of these guys are cut after their first few fights. If the total roster keeps growing with the amount of fights they're putting on, I don't see why the majority necessarily would have to be from there.
DWCS actually have win rates averaging over 50%. In other words, the average fighter that goes through the show is more successful then the average fighter

A) isnt that the purpose of the show

B) he doesnt give contracts to every fighter in every show

C) TUF was better as it gave people a chance to be familiar with the guys before gettinf them signed which fans liked

D) New blood is good for the UFC some divisions need grooming , i just wish theyd target those weight classes more then ones already packed...
(HW needs help, LHW needs help, 185 and 125 need help and womans 145 needs help)

I think they'd help HW if they could but I watch a lot of regional MMA and the HW division is an absolute wasteland.

Dunno why they don't bulk flyweight up.

I think they'd help HW if they could but I watch a lot of regional MMA and the HW division is an absolute wasteland.

Dunno why they don't bulk flyweight up.

Yeah...there not utilizing the show correctly imo...

145 to 170/185 doesnt need anymore guys...log jam city

Contender series could be really good for building up weaker divisions while TUF is good for bringing in more seasoned/potential stars as people will get exposed to them for longer and better acquainted with them.when they enter the UFC that should be used for the fuller divisions

Yeah...there not utilizing the show correctly imo...

145 to 170/185 doesnt need anymore guys...log jam city

Contender series could be really good for building up weaker divisions while TUF is good for bringing in more seasoned/potential stars as people will get exposed to them for longer and better acquainted with them.when they enter the UFC that should be used for the fuller divisions

I don't get them sometimes really. The next TUF has BW as a division, that division is deep as shit and one of the best divisions in the world.

Flyweight is small and there are a lot of really good flyweights outside the UFC you could have on the show.

I don't get them sometimes really. The next TUF has BW as a division, that division is deep as shit and one of the best divisions in the world.

Flyweight is small and there are a lot of really good flyweights outside the UFC you could have on the show.

Yeah that works too...but having bantamweight isnt necessary...i agree on that but i wouldnt be surprised if some of those guys are flyweights moving up for the opportunity or guys who will drop down once signed/if signed off TUF so it could work out

You're part of the problem.

SimpleLimpIndusriverdolphin-size_restricted.gif
They are part of the solution

<28>

Is there a significant difference between getting guys off DWCS and picking guys from random regional orgs? Would be interesting to keep a tally of how many of these guys are cut after their first few fights. If the total roster keeps growing with the amount of fights they're putting on, I don't see why the majority necessarily would have to be from there.
Completely anecdotal, but from watching MMA post fight and pre fight shows, i often hear media members comment that "fighter X came out of DWCS" and usually prefaced or followed by a losing record

Such a stupid show. Already have fifty horrible cards a year and now they’re handing contracts to any drunk that takes a swing at a stop sign.

Completely anecdotal, but from watching MMA post fight and pre fight shows, i often hear media members comment that "fighter X came out of DWCS" and usually prefaced or followed by a losing record
That’s one of the biggest misconceptions. There’s a difference between volume vs single success right? If I get 5 guys off the show, and 3 get cut, but 1 is a gate keeper and another is a top 15 guy, is that a failure? Or is that relatively normal? And how does that information present itself? Well, it means that if you watch each fighter fight one time, and their resume as a “DWCS Alumni” is discussed, you’ll feel like most of them suck. But in reality, that’s not abnormal compared to regular fighters as well because those who making it to the point of being ranked are few and far between. MOST fighters, DWCS or not, get cut before they make it. But if you’re wondering about records I collected them all to give a better idea. The threads totally out of date, but it gives you an idea of what it looked like a little less than a year ago.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...ghters-after-the-show.4075007/#post-158407073

Yeah that works too...but having bantamweight isnt necessary...i agree on that but i wouldnt be surprised if some of those guys are flyweights moving up for the opportunity or guys who will drop down once signed/if signed off TUF so it could work out
The seasons they’ve run based on “need” usually suck. The best seasons, both in production of a quality show, and talent, have always come from making a season that allows them to cast the most talented guys. The issue is, when you’re running the contender series, you’re already grabbing the top prospects regularly.

That’s one of the biggest misconceptions. There’s a difference between volume vs single success right? If I get 5 guys off the show, and 3 get cut, but 1 is a gate keeper and another is a top 15 guy, is that a failure? Or is that relatively normal? And how does that information present itself? Well, it means that if you watch each fighter fight one time, and their resume as a “DWCS Alumni” is discussed, you’ll feel like most of them suck. But in reality, that’s not abnormal compared to regular fighters as well because those who making it to the point of being ranked are few and far between. MOST fighters, DWCS or not, get cut before they make it. But if you’re wondering about records I collected them all to give a better idea. The threads totally out of date, but it gives you an idea of what it looked like a little less than a year ago.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...ghters-after-the-show.4075007/#post-158407073
I guess its an accurate representation of the regular pool then.

But for whatever reason, thats the impression i get consuming this info from the sources i mentioned. I dont watch the show, but usually the media makes it sound like the people coming from there are mostly bad.

But for whatever reason, thats the impression i get consuming this info from the sources i mentioned. I dont watch the show, but usually the media makes it sound like the people coming from there are mostly bad.

It's a mix of good fighters and fighters that turn out to be not UFC standard.

Kinda the same as when they're signing any prospects tbh.

Yes, and you’re not entirely incorrect. If 4/5 guys only ever lose in the ufc and get bodied, but that fifth guy is Geoff Neal, Johnny walker, shabazyan, omalley etc... you’re doing pretty good. But from our perspective as fans it’s really easy to watch 4 guys who get bodied who all have one thing in common and say “that’s why they are losing”.

The show has run it’s course 4x as fast as TUF did, because it burns through fighters way faster. Problem is, they can’t stop, because UFC has to provide content to ESPN.

Also, as a way of recruiting fighters, it’s just dumb. “First round finish? Don’t need to see the rest of your game, here’s a contract.” Dana trashed Hackett’s (lack of) ground game last night, but you know if the pretty girl had knocked out her opponent in the first or second, Dana wouldn’t have hesitated to sign her. She was the favorite last night

I is 6 is wayyyy too much. But if thatd the cost of getting grappling out of the sport then it's a net benefit I suppose
wait, how is that a benefit? the whole point is to make the best fight the best. all these motherfuckers with their sprawl and brawl and no bottom game aren't going to cut it. gaethje for instance, though an accomplished wrestler and not a Dana white alumnus, showed us the importance of grappling. diversity of skill makes the sport beautiful. phasing out grappling? kickboxing would scratch that itch.

The show has run it’s course 4x as fast as TUF did, because it burns through fighters way faster. Problem is, they can’t stop, because UFC has to provide content to ESPN.

Also, as a way of recruiting fighters, it’s just dumb. “First round finish? Don’t need to see the rest of your game, here’s a contract.” Dana trashed Hackett’s (lack of) ground game last night, but you know if the pretty girl had knocked out her opponent in the first or second, Dana wouldn’t have hesitated to sign her. She was the favorite last night
I have to agree, especially with the first line of your second paragraph.

Last edited:
Back