(UPDATED 12/19/16) UFC's New Heavyweight Cody East: Past Includes Assault, Child Abuse, Rape Charges

I wasn't responding to you i was responding to team sleep, your notifications on the fritz?

You're sort of conceeding my point here. you're saying an employer should make value judgements based on objective morality, likelihood of how their history will affect their ability to perform the role to how you want them to perform or appear. Especially seeing as you have implied that criminal record suggests to you cause for mistrust, without specifying whether the crime would have to directly relate to the role in hand ( paedo child minder or what have you).

I'm saying that given what the role entails, being in the public perspective in a sport where violence needs to be measured and cerebral, an employer has every right ( and would be wise to) consider the negative implications of hiring individuals with violent criminal records. I'm also saying that just because the ufc's employees role is to fight, does not disqualify them the same right as you to consider trust or character when employing people, as their brand and their business is just as (or more so) at risk if they hire individuals such as this guy.
yeah you weren't responding to me initially, my bad. I entered this discussion under the impression you were, like the fool I am.

I don't think any employee ever hurt the UFC brand with their actions particularly. It seems that more controversy just means more eyes turning to your product, which is why some of the more controversial figures in the sport are also the biggest PPV sellers. Jim Miller was a draw. So would it be wise to turn down a dude particularly problematic? I don't think so and really, I don't know. But I don't think you know either, which is why I think you're stretching with this point.

The employer has every right to turn down any fighter. I just find this particular reason immoral since it has nothing to do with his work. You made your point of why you think it matters, but there's no evidence that it actually matters. What's the worst you ever saw from an UFC fighter during a fight? Eyepokes, punches after the round ends? Some very crazy, criminal and violent people have been in the UFC, and yet nothing life-threatening was ever pulled by any fighter in any situation. So what are we thinking this guy is gonna do? What can he do that affects the company in any way? I can't see it, so in my view he shouldn't not be hired for this reason. OFC I don't know what the UFC is concerned about. But I bet if this guy doesn't get hired anyway it's because of media backlash and not for any of the reasons you mentioned they'd care.

Personally, I think that people who are legitimately trying to turn their lives around should be given a chance to do so, but I'd think twice about hiring this guy. And this is the UFC, where you can get cut for calling someone a name, so ...

yeah you weren't responding to me initially, my bad. I entered this discussion under the impression you were, like the fool I am.

I don't think any employee ever hurt the UFC brand with their actions particularly. It seems that more controversy just means more eyes turning to your product, which is why some of the more controversial figures in the sport are also the biggest PPV sellers. Jim Miller was a draw. So would it be wise to turn down a dude particularly problematic? I don't think so and really, I don't know. But I don't think you know either, which is why I think you're stretching with this point.

The employer has every right to turn down any fighter. I just find this particular reason immoral since it has nothing to do with his work. You made your point of why you think it matters, but there's no evidence that it actually matters. What's the worst you ever saw from an UFC fighter during a fight? Eyepokes, punches after the round ends? Some very crazy, criminal and violent people have been in the UFC, and yet nothing life-threatening was ever pulled by any fighter in any situation. So what are we thinking this guy is gonna do? What can he do that affects the company in any way? I can't see it, so in my view he shouldn't not be hired for this reason. OFC I don't know what the UFC is concerned about. But I bet if this guy doesn't get hired anyway it's because of media backlash and not for any of the reasons you mentioned they'd care.
It doesn't matter, the point is they aren't restricted in their right to make a decision based on what you view as limited potential consequences or who they want representing their brand and company just because it's fighting. Just like you aren't restricted in your judgement not to hire a murderer to work for you because you would question your ability to trust them to perform as you'd like (not necessarily whether they'd end up murdering someone whilst on shift).

You can't say this (not wanting to hire someone like cody east to represent the ufc) is immoral at the same time as saying you'd do the same ( irrespective of the crime ) because of an issue of trust. Ufc has that same right, you can't arbitrarily dismiss that right based purely on the fact that it's fighting (and frankly, that's not the only aspect of being a ufc employee, which we all know). That's faulty reasoning.

To reiterate my point from the offset, the profession being fighting does not mean leave any sort of moral compass at the door when vetting who gets in there anymore than any other profession should take those things into consideration. The church choir and the ufc both have equal right and reason to choose who they trust and who to employ. Either we're accepting that change is possible and an individual has the right to do whatever they like once justice is served, or we accept that certain roles carry a certain amount of risk and therefore the employee has the right to assess that risk independently. You can't have it both ways.

Update 12/19/2016: Cody East has been arrested again, this time for - you might have guessed it, domestic violence. Source: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/12/...-east-arrested-for-domestic-violence-mma-news

After East found out he could not defeat men in the UFC cage, going 0-2 vs. Walt Harris and Curtis Blaydes (he lost both bouts via TKO), the now former UFC fighter was arrested early Sunday morning in Albuquerque charged with assaulting a housemember and false imprisonment. KRQE News 13 first reported the arrest.

As of 11:00 PM he was reported still behind bars for this, yet another incident on a growing record of indecency. Bond was set at $30,000. He was released from the UFC in October.

Well not that it matters, but I know countless people who for them, martial arts and MMA, boxing and wrestling, football and baseball, saved their lives and kept them out of trouble. Obviously the guy is trying to turn his life around through the discipline of martial arts. Why are MMA fans so quick to take up pitchforks when a person tries to make a change for the better, as if none of he has ever made a mistake or fucked up as kids?

That's the narrative the UFC should be putting out when this type of shit happens. If a guy is on the roster and does this shit, cool to fine and suspend him. But it is counter productive for companies to go way back into the past and dig this shit up.

What you are doing now is what should matter.
It's two-fold. Firstly, guys with long rap sheets are usually loose cannons, a risk for the promotion. Secondly, there are lifelong martial artists representing the UFC. They have to deal with the caveman perception.

But I'm all for 2nd chances, not all of them go back to their old ways. Perhaps 2 years without charges would be a fitting compromise?

"I hope moses fucks him in hell"- Joey Diaz

This is some Jon Jones level crimes

He is far worse, east is worse than Gustafson (who's still a bigger criminal than any LHW)

I remember Shertards all giving East excuses for his crimes too.

I just have no tolerance for domestic abusers, cowards who hit women. I've seen the damage punks like this do. And it's not pretty.

He does not deserve the benefit of the doubt. Where there's smoke, there's fire. Trust me on this: often times these type of criminals get off because the victims refuse to cooperate.

I hope the book is thrown at the punk. Good riddance I say.

He wasn't convicted. Any girl can cry rape and point a finger at any guy. Especially if she's a head case.

He wasn't convicted. Any girl can cry rape and point a finger at any guy. Especially if she's a head case.

....Like this guy.

Funny how this excuse is always used when a suitable for Shertards. If this was another fighter Shertards would become ultra feminists and railing against him.

(Updated on 12/19/2016; Read Below)

In 2007, we find 19 year old East arrested on charges of aggravated assault and child abuse. Officers had to draw weapons onto East (who held a knife) to subdue him, when they were called in response to a melee that broke out at East's home. East was throwing a party where he "hip-tossed 14 to 15 year old girls", breaking several girls noses, and allegedly also attacking his own mother and father during a fit of rage.

How do you hip toss multiple people? lol

You would think after he hip tossed the first one or two girls that the rest of the girls would just run away or something

Child abuse?
Rape charges?

Just right up Platinum fan's alley.

Cody East Bless?

Back