Update (still overrated): Can somebody explain why NYC is so great?

I would never visit New York. Too many people. You have to rely on the system to get around since I imagine you can’t really drive yourself there.

Lombardi's is great. Very reasonably priced and the pizza is cooked in their original 1905 oven (made 114 years ago):

lombardi-s-pizza-little-italy-new-york-city-new-york-united-states-of-america-north-america-76207977-5905ec915f9b5810dce3f22f.jpg

tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

16-lombardis-pizza.w700.h700.jpg

But yeah I agree NYC is a little overrated and the winters suck. I prefer LA, since I grew up in the suburbs in the LA area and struggle to adjust to harsh winters. Plus LA has In-N-Out, and good Mexican food. Their pizza has improved a lot too (even if they don't have coal ovens)
With an hour wait.

Seriously? I will forever be indebted to Toronto and the great nation of Canada but if in being real Toronto is one of the most boring and souless cities ever. It's hard to imagine that Toronto>NYC

Its so progressive tho....

Female tourists were already acting slutty when they visit here but Sex and the City filled the void that was lost when the sleazy Times Square was cleaned out.

lol, interesting. nyc has so many female tourists looking to get banged, that you'd really need to be socially-awkward to not get laid.

People have to say it is great because why would you live with ridiculous rent otherwise. There are 20 cities in Europe that are easily better than NYC.

Live here. For me, it's variety: food, people, women, entertainment...and the convenient public transportation.

"but pales in comparison to Tokyo, Seoul and even somewhere like Mumbai - visiting those countries felt like I was walking into somewhere truly foreign and exciting."

well, yeah....cities in Asian will feel more "foreign" to a Canadian than NYC, LOL....what type of "foreigness" were you expecting from NYC?
where are you staying and what are you doing in NYC?

i personally think NYC is too crowded and a lot more translplant attitude has moved in recently...however it is one of the greatest cities in the world

What makes NYC so great? It is just as soulless if not moreso.

Off the bat both the public transit and food are better in Toronto than NYC, plus Toronto is much cleaner. Theres tons more to delve into but just those things make a huge difference.
Dude, you can say what you want about transit, but Toronto has ONLY 2 Subway lines that shut down at night...WTF is that? And to say Toronto is better in Cuisine, when it isn't even close is a joke. Toronto cant even touch Chicago or Miami food wise. Hell I don't think it can touch any big American city. As for it being soulless, I will disagree. But again, we are talking levels, and Toronto is probably equivalent to like say......Buffalo. It is a grey and Ugly city, with areas here and there, but no central vibe bringing anyone together.

Toronto, LA, NYC, San Francisco

All shitholes

I hate to say it, since I live in San Francisco, but this city really is turning into a shithole. Not one day goes by where I don't see someone either shitting in plain sight, pissing next to a car, yelling at random strangers, or constantly harrassing others for a cigarette or change.

Dude, you can say what you want about transit, but Toronto has ONLY 2 Subway lines that shut down at night...WTF is that?

So? Id rather have that then fvking rats running over me. TTC is newer, cleaner, and better maintained. Plus ttc had above ground street cars.

And to say Toronto is better in Cuisine, when it isn't even close is a joke. Toronto cant even touch Chicago or Miami food wise. Hell I don't think it can touch any big American city.

Toronto is one of the most diverse cities in the world with food from literally every culture. It had better selection than all but the largerl Murkan cities. Also Toronto is big about fitness and being active and has lots of healthy choices most Murkan cities don't. Most ethnic murkan food is altered and watered down to appeal to bland Murkan palates. They take out the spice and add more fat and carbs.

As for it being soulless, I will disagree. But again, we are talking levels, and Toronto is probably equivalent to like say......Buffalo. It is a grey and Ugly city, with areas here and there, but no central vibe bringing anyone together.

LMFAO @ Buffalo. Buffalo is a zhithole compared to Toronto. Old 19th century buildings compared to newer skyscrapers? Plz son.

Toronto is a huge party City that attracts people, including hot women from all over the world. I'm thinking you've never been there or just passed through.

I hate to say it, since I live in San Francisco, but this city really is turning into a shithole. Not one day goes by where I don't see someone either shitting in plain sight, pissing next to a car, yelling at random strangers, or constantly harrassing others for a cigarette or change.
Im in the city too. its miserable. Lived in the Bay my entire life

Some of you guys are silly to compare NYC to foreign cities. Naturally something that is totally different will be exciting at first and then fade as you grow more accustomed to it. I visited many major cities around the world and NYC is still a pretty cool city. For example, you can visit some of the most incredible museums in the world without paying any money. Not many cities offer something that cool at a zero price tag. Not only that but the city always has some cool events going on. I usually go to NYCC and it is a blast

If you can make it in NYC you can make it anywhere as some like to say. I guess that is true. To make it, do good in NY, the city often thought of as the premier city in America is a high accomplishment. At least that is how I've thought of it.

I've only been to NYC once. My impression was that it was similar to Chicago but with a more run down airport.

NYC is great because all my friends and family live here. That's what makes any city/town great.

Every "greatest city" is completely subjective. How fun visiting any city, no matter what tourist attractions it has, is 100% dependent on who you go with or who you're hanging out with (or visiting.)

As for pizza, the best quintessential NY $1.50-$2 slice is Joe's pizza IMO.

Back