UPDATE Climb Complete - Grand Canyon hikers GTHIH

Oh I forgot my update.

I completed my bucket list descent and ascent of the Canyon with an over night stay at Phantom Ranch on Saturday Jan 18 and return to summit on the 19th. It was great.

I had a female friend who got me more seriously into hiking in the first place decide she would fly in and join me for the climb. She is in much better shape and almost 20 years younger (and hot) which I think contributed to my challenges on the ascent.

The descent on Saturday was fairly easy. We took the South Kaibab Trail which is the most direct route as it is more straight up and down and less winding. We then took the Bright Angel Trail up.

Most people do it that was as walking DOWN the more steep trail is not so taxing but most come up the slightly more winding but longer Bright Angel, as we did.

I'll give some more narrative including pic's in the next post.

S Kaibab Trail :
- Trailhead Elevation: 7,260 feet.
- Change in Elevation from Trailhead to Canyon floor : 4800 FT
- mules on this trail.
- Distance to Phantom Ranch = 7.4 mile
- Time they tell you to estimate (ave) for this descent at this time of year is 6-8 hours

Bright Angel Trail
- Trailhead Elevation: 6860 FT
- Change in Elevation from Trailhead to Canyon floor : 4400 FT
- mules on trail
- Distance back up to Rim from Phantom Ranch
- time they tell you to estimate (ave) for the this ascent at this time of year is 8-10 hours

"...Depending on how prepared you are, your trip can be a vacation or a challenge, a revelation or an ordeal. Over 250 people are rescued from the canyon each year."
Cite

Last edited:
So we started our descent from S Kaibab Trail at about 9.30am expecting to take 5-6 hours. We made the descent in just over 3 hours pushing a good pace.

We arrived at Phantom Ranch which is the only accommodations beyond the two or so completely basic camp site locations also on the Canyon floor. Phantom Ranch is very basic. A few nice Cabins that sleep up to 4 people and a few Male/Female Dorm Bunk houses with about 12 beds each and a mess hall, dining area that sells snacks and provides the two banquet style meals a day they provide (breakfast and dinner) if you made prior arrangements.

All supplies are brought in and out of the ranch by Mule Train.

As we only got in to Phantom Ranch via the last minute cancellation wait list, we could not get a private cabin and had to stay in the Dorms. That sucked but we did manage to sneak in a quickie in the shower in my dorm during the first dinner seating as no one else was in there. Although we did hear one person come in and out while we were doing it. lol.

We got our dinner in the second sitting (thankfully they sell beer and wine) and hung out for a while after with people we met and had drinks. So many people we met make this a near yearly trip and some had been doing it for decades. One group of 30 people was there, which had started as a group of 10 guys 30 years prior, and had grown to just over 30 people for this trip all between the ages of 50-65 and of various fitness levels.

These groups come prepared bringing lots of alcohol and were doing 2 night stays they had booked 14 months in advance.

We had determined we wanted to get up before sun rise (6am) and make our ascent. The first hour in the dark. I had brought both flashlights and toques with flashlights in them which helped. We had one of the most clear starry sky nights and mornings i've ever witnessed due to lack of light pollution.

As we were leaving in the morning we passed an older couple on the trail, who were about 75 years old who said they have been making this trip about every 3 years. This was not a fit couple but this was their passion. They said they expected to take about 12 hours to get up to the top, just taking their time and at their pace. That means they would be leaving in the dark and arriving at the top just after dark. They were amazing.

On our ascent I made the mistake of trying to stay with my hiking partner at her pace. Typically I never do that. I always tell her to go ahead. She sets a good pace being that she is a fitness fanatic working at two gyms while also building her real estate practice. Oh and did I tell you she is 18 years younger. Ya so there is that.

I completely burned out my legs doing that at about the 2/3rds up level. I think it was a combination of the pace, me not drinking enough water, and also dealing with the altitude change as I have a medical condition that makes altitude more challenging to me then to most others.

My last 3rd of the walk took me as long as the first 2/3rds and I was in agony. I literally hit the wall and could barely make my legs walk. I had to basically zombie walk where you lean forward and just stumble walk. It was truly guy check time for me as I felt I could have easily quit if there was any option too that would not be humiliating.

Anyway we still completed the ascent in 5 hours which shows the pace we were on.

So I made it, and felt great and another bucket list item has been conquered.

Here's the pics.

Vfo1GKI.jpg

ecbvXX7.jpg

yWcowUS.jpg

ao6f4qB.jpg

G8laClP.jpg

YqKG0fx.jpg

xWcx9ak.jpg

0HiLxKG.jpg

dEVlq68.jpg

MW28bTs.jpg

h8VFGDW.jpg

9d8mvyz.jpg

Last edited:
Update : bucket list item completed. Descent to Canyon Floor on the morning of Saturday Jan 18. Ascent to the top on Sunday Jan 19. Update and pictures in Post 41.

So I've been staying in Scottsdale Arizona for a few weeks now helping my Bro out with a small company he just acquired.

On a whim I decided to take off to the Grand Canyon for the weekend.

I'm an avid hiker and Mountain biker. I've taken on many mountain hikes (Alberta, Washington, Oregon, Columbia, Spain, etc) but I must say the Grand Canyon is both awe inspiring and intimidating.

I did not come prepared to make the descent to the bottom. Was not expecting the snow and ice up top and much warmer temps as you descend.

I spoke to some people just emerging from a descent and accent and time down is about 6hours and up 8.

I picked up some crampons yesterday and played with some light descents while going around the rim. In a few hours I will test some of the steeper descents but not try to make bottom. I need full chains for the shoes and not these light spikes I got.

I'm booking to come back in January and plan to have the proper gear to make the full descent. I'm told that I have to report my plans and route to the Rangers station as they have the most rescues in Jan and July (ice and heat).

Any Sherdoggers take this on and can you share experiences?

I'll add pics to OP when I have WIFI later.
You sound poor... hiking the canyon. I just flew through that b***h in a helicopter like a true American.

I've been to Havasupai Falls, which is farther down the Gran Canyon. The Hike there is 10 miles downhill it's a 2,000 foot decent. The hike on the way up is way tougher, specially the ending part is killer because it's really steep.

This is the ending spot of said hike
View attachment 689043
Looks like one of my favorite albums jackets.
Tortoise It’s all around You.
Nice pic.
images

Kudos for doing that , sounds decent.

Any one else just seeing a 'minus-' sign instead of photos though ?

Anybody done the rim to rim and back run in Grand Canyon? I'd like to try it.

Kudos for doing that , sounds decent.

Any one else just seeing a 'minus-' sign instead of photos though ?
i changed out the google pics as I think the only people who can see them have to have a google account.

I think you should see them all now.

Americas most boring landmark

My wife and I checked out the Grand Canyon in 2011. I thought it was truly breathtaking. All my life I’ve only lived a few hours from the Canadian Rockies but even still, I thought the Canyon was something that really needs to be seen in person, that pictures don’t do it justice, because a 2D picture can’t accurately capture the perspective of distance of just how far across it is from one side to another.

Anyway good for you @MikeMcMann

When my kids are teenagers (or early 20s) I hope to start doing these kinds of bucket list adventures with them.

You sound poor... hiking the canyon. I just flew through that b***h in a helicopter like a true American.

Haha. You cannot do that helicopter trip anymore, if you ever could, into the main Canyon. I know there are some points of the extended Canyon on Native lands that you can do that though.

My wife and I checked out the Grand Canyon in 2011. I thought it was truly breathtaking. All my life I’ve only lived a few hours from the Canadian Rockies but even still, I thought the Canyon was something that really needs to be seen in person, that pictures don’t do it justice, because a 2D picture can’t accurately capture the perspective of distance of just how far across it is from one side to another.
Yup, i've said that.

As someone who has hiked a lot of places in Canada, the US and Europe I recall my first trip into the Canadian Rockies in Alberta as something that took my breath away. There is definitely something special about that mountain range and the approach to it as you come in to and then are just amongst the giants. I still feel that way every time i go.

Anyway good for you @MikeMcMann

When my kids are teenagers (or early 20s) I hope to start doing these kinds of bucket list adventures with them.
I highly recommend it. It is an experience to remember for sure.

Anybody done the rim to rim and back run in Grand Canyon? I'd like to try it.
I originally was looking at this. The preferred route seems to be to hike down the S. Kaibab Trail, as we did and then the ascent is the N. Kaibab Trail at the far end. The reason we did not as it adds a 4 hour drive back to S. Kaibab where our car would be and I did not want to add that much commute time as we were already tight for time that weekend.

Had we time for a longer trip then that definitely would have been the choice as there is a lot of great sight seeing to do in that 4 hour commute in the towns on the way back I hear.

Lots of people do the rim to the rim in a single day, leaving and arriving in the dark on both ends since it can can take over 12 hours even for quite fit folk.

Lots of great Rim to Rim videos out there if you want to look them up.

I originally was looking at this. The preferred route seems to be to hike down the S. Kaibab Trail, as we did and then the ascent is the N. Kaibab Trail at the far end. The reason we did not as it adds a 4 hour drive back to S. Kaibab where our car would be and I did not want to add that much commute time as we were already tight for time that weekend.

Had we time for a longer trip then that definitely would have been the choice as there is a lot of great sight seeing to do in that 4 hour commute in the towns on the way back I hear.

Lots of people do the rim to the rim in a single day, leaving and arriving in the dark on both ends since it can can take over 12 hours even for quite fit folk.

Lots of great Rim to Rim videos out there if you want to look them up.

the run I'm interested in goes to the opposite rim and then back. You do two crossings.

Back