UPDATE Climb Complete - Grand Canyon hikers GTHIH

Hey guys!

I'm going hiking down the grand canyon in the winter!! It's hot and desert all year round right..? never done it so I should be fine.

See you guys soon ..

I do love Amazon. All my gear has arrived and i've been out almost daily hiking with the new back pack with about 35lbs of weight inside doing stairs and hills to get prepared for my Jan 17 weekend Grand Canyon floor descent attempt.

As i stated last time I was not expecting to go there so I did not have the right gear but now I think i have everything I need (already have good hiking boots and clothes).

So what say you sherbro's, is there anything you think I am missing?

81JZT85WdeL._SL1500_.jpg

71ywIEitVmL._UX679_.jpg

61bKXfudpYL._SL1000_.jpg

61YXl-r2h5L._SL1000_.jpg

81jIP-ScsGL._SL1500_.jpg

71y57svGhwL._SL1200_.jpg

Goal is to arrive to the Canyon Valley (top city) later Friday afternoon and settle in and relax.

To get up early with first light and start the descent down using The South Kaibob Trail. to Phantom Ranch on the Canyon floor. We are told to expect that descent to take up to 6 hours at that time of year.

And then stay over night at Phantom Ranch, get up early and make the ascent back to the surface via the Bright Angel Trail which is expected to 8-10 hours at this time of year.

--------

So weather is the X factor here. Weather permitting (fingers crossed), we will be good to go. We are prepared for icy or snowy conditions and the temp changes (up to 20 degrees warmer at bottom than top) but if they are expecting any significant snow the 2-3 prior or while we would be hiking, we won't risk it.

When I was there earlier this month I spoke to an avid climber who is also part of the rescue Rangers there and he and a small group of avid climbers (descenders) got caught on Thanksgiving weekend hiking, when a snow storm blew in. They had all the proper clothes but did not bring snow shoes. Snow filled in the big bowl real quick and with each step the snow was up to their hips. It was impossible for them to walk. They had to lie on their bellies and basically swim on top of the snow. They took hours to get to one of the bathroom, rest spots that serves as emergency shelter and waited it out there until fellow Rangers came down with snow shoes for them.

While i am up for a good challenging hike, and a good surprise and story is welcomed, I have no desire to try snow swimming it to safety.

giphy.gif

THOUGHTS?

ADVICE?

GUIDEANCE?
Where are your snow gloves?

Hey guys!

I'm going hiking down the grand canyon in the winter!! It's hot and desert all year round right..? never done it so I should be fine.

See you guys soon ..

Winter temps at top, or start of the hike when I was there were 50F and as you got near the bottom, which I did not make it was closer to 70F. I will take that over the 110F temps, plus, that you see so many people dealing with on most of the video's of summer hikes.

It will be a little colder in Jan with maybe a little more snow at the top, but I am Canadian so it still will not be cold or too snowy, if i go. Some ice and snow near the top. Some muddy wet, in the middle, and warmer and drier for the bottom 3rd.

I did talk to that Ranger I mention upthread and he said people dealing with heat stroke (which i can be prone too) is the number one reason people get rescued there. But to be fair to your point, people unprepared for winter conditions and not prepared to deal with ice or snow, particularly on the way back up is their second biggest rescue reason. But he said to me 'you'll be fine if you just pay attention to the conditions and don't go when a snow fall is expected. You want at least 3 days after a snow to pass before you go'.

Where are your snow gloves?
That was just the 'extra' stuff I had to order for this hike.

I already own good gloves, hiking boots, scarf, socks and jacket.

I am a Canadian living in Edmonton Alberta (one of the coldest big cities in the country) after all.

Winter temps at top, or start of the hike when I was there were 50F and as you got near the bottom, which I did not make it was closer to 70F. I will take that over the 110F temps, plus, that you see so many people dealing with on most of the video's of summer hikes.

It will be a little colder in Jan with maybe a little more snow at the top, but I am Canadian so it still will not be cold or too snowy, if i go. Some ice and snow near the top. Some muddy wet, in the middle, and warmer and drier for the bottom 3rd.

I did talk to that Ranger I mention upthread and he said people dealing with heat stroke (which i can be prone too) is the number one reason people get rescued there. But to be fair to your point, people unprepared for winter conditions and not prepared to deal with ice or snow, particularly on the way back up is their second biggest rescue reason. But he said to me 'you'll be fine if you just pay attention to the conditions and don't go when a snow fall is expected. You want at least 3 days after a snow to pass before you go'.

Sounds like you have everything planed..

I'm from Canada so I know the cold desert.

See you on the news bud..

Sounds like you have everything planed..

I'm from Canada so I know the cold desert.

See you on the news bud..
haha. I hope I am not that guy. Don't want to be 'man rescued, story at 11' on the news but I guess that is better than 'body discovered'.

This is my most ambitious hike so far to be sure. I have done many 6 plus hour mountain hikes. Dealt with altitude in a few of them. I used to rock climb when younger (a lot younger).

But I am very respectful of this hike and not taking it for granted. Really if weather is good then going down is a breeze (6 hours), and coming up will be tiring but not bad if you stick to your pace. Then you just have to make sure you plan properly for day light. As it can be 8-10 hours up or more depending on your fitness level and you only really have daylight from 7am-5pm at that time of year (10 hours), thus why i have the winter toques with the lights on them and will have separate torch lights in the pack, if needed.

Hopefully the only update you get is when I post the conquest in this thread and not the news.

Maybe I'll convince @Clippy to come so he can pick edible mushrooms for us should we have to survive down there??

I do love Amazon. All my gear has arrived and i've been out almost daily hiking with the new back pack with about 35lbs of weight inside doing stairs and hills to get prepared for my Jan 17 weekend Grand Canyon floor descent attempt.

As i stated last time I was not expecting to go there so I did not have the right gear but now I think i have everything I need (already have good hiking boots and clothes).

So what say you sherbro's, is there anything you think I am missing?

81JZT85WdeL._SL1500_.jpg

71ywIEitVmL._UX679_.jpg

61bKXfudpYL._SL1000_.jpg

61YXl-r2h5L._SL1000_.jpg

81jIP-ScsGL._SL1500_.jpg

71y57svGhwL._SL1200_.jpg

Goal is to arrive to the Canyon Valley (top city) later Friday afternoon and settle in and relax.

To get up early with first light and start the descent down using The South Kaibob Trail. to Phantom Ranch on the Canyon floor. We are told to expect that descent to take up to 6 hours at that time of year.

And then stay over night at Phantom Ranch, get up early and make the ascent back to the surface via the Bright Angel Trail which is expected to 8-10 hours at this time of year.

--------

So weather is the X factor here. Weather permitting (fingers crossed), we will be good to go. We are prepared for icy or snowy conditions and the temp changes (up to 20 degrees warmer at bottom than top) but if they are expecting any significant snow the 2-3 prior or while we would be hiking, we won't risk it.

When I was there earlier this month I spoke to an avid climber who is also part of the rescue Rangers there and he and a small group of avid climbers (descenders) got caught on Thanksgiving weekend hiking, when a snow storm blew in. They had all the proper clothes but did not bring snow shoes. Snow filled in the big bowl real quick and with each step the snow was up to their hips. It was impossible for them to walk. They had to lie on their bellies and basically swim on top of the snow. They took hours to get to one of the bathroom, rest spots that serves as emergency shelter and waited it out there until fellow Rangers came down with snow shoes for them.

While i am up for a good challenging hike, and a good surprise and story is welcomed, I have no desire to try snow swimming it to safety.

giphy.gif

THOUGHTS?

ADVICE?

GUIDEANCE?
Do you have sunglasses? Serious question.

haha. I hope I am not that guy. Don't want to be 'man rescued, story at 11' on the news but I guess that is better than 'body discovered'.

This is my most ambitious hike so far to be sure. I have done many 6 plus hour mountain hikes. Dealt with altitude in a few of them. I used to rock climb when younger (a lot younger).

But I am very respectful of this hike and not taking it for granted. Really if weather is good then going down is a breeze (6 hours), and coming up will be tiring but not bad if you stick to your pace. Then you just have to make sure you plan properly for day light. As it can be 8-10 hours up or more depending on your fitness level and you only really have daylight from 7am-5pm at that time of year (10 hours), thus why i have the winter toques with the lights on them and will have separate torch lights in the pack, if needed.

Hopefully the only update you get is when I post the conquest in this thread and not the news.

Maybe I'll convince @Clippy to come so he can pick edible mushrooms for us should we have to survive down there??

Our news is at 10' down here rookie...

So I've been staying in Scottsdale Arizona for a few weeks now helping my Bro out with a small company he just acquired.

On a whim I decided to take off to the Grand Canyon for the weekend.

I'm an avid hiker and Mountain biker. I've taken on many mountain hikes (Alberta, Washington, Oregon, Columbia, Spain, etc) but I must say the Grand Canyon is both awe inspiring and intimidating.

I did not come prepared to make the descent to the bottom. Was not expecting the snow and ice up top and much warmer temps as you descend.

I spoke to some people just emerging from a descent and accent and time down is about 6hours and up 8.

I picked up some crampons yesterday and played with some light descents while going around the rim. In a few hours I will test some of the steeper descents but not try to make bottom. I need full chains for the shoes and not these light spikes I got.

I'm booking to come back in January and plan to have the proper gear to make the full descent. I'm told that I have to report my plans and route to the Rangers station as they have the most rescues in Jan and July (ice and heat).

Any Sherdoggers take this on and can you share experiences?

I'll add pics to OP when I have WIFI later.
yea i did that when i was 5 years old.

Six hours to hike down? Just jump down and cut roughly six hours off your bike.

<seedat>

Six hours to hike down? Just jump down and cut roughly six hours off your bike.

<seedat>
I think that was a Freudian slip there but you might be on to something. I am an avid mountain biker too, so maybe I just go over the edge and

^or since I do love bungee jumping and sky diving too maybe I do just jump??

So I've been staying in Scottsdale Arizona for a few weeks now helping my Bro out with a small company he just acquired.

On a whim I decided to take off to the Grand Canyon for the weekend.

I'm an avid hiker and Mountain biker. I've taken on many mountain hikes (Alberta, Washington, Oregon, Columbia, Spain, etc) but I must say the Grand Canyon is both awe inspiring and intimidating.

I did not come prepared to make the descent to the bottom. Was not expecting the snow and ice up top and much warmer temps as you descend.

I spoke to some people just emerging from a descent and accent and time down is about 6hours and up 8.

I picked up some crampons yesterday and played with some light descents while going around the rim. In a few hours I will test some of the steeper descents but not try to make bottom. I need full chains for the shoes and not these light spikes I got.

I'm booking to come back in January and plan to have the proper gear to make the full descent. I'm told that I have to report my plans and route to the Rangers station as they have the most rescues in Jan and July (ice and heat).

Any Sherdoggers take this on and can you share experiences?

I'll add pics to OP when I have WIFI later.
I'm jelly you get to go there and hike Grand Canyon is number 1 place I want to see most.

I was in Arizona years although I never got to
see it I was to go Sedona which is beautiful
place in it's own right. There place places
Arizona and Utah I want to see.

I'm jelly you get to go there and hike Grand Canyon is number 1 place I want to see most.

I was in Arizona years although I never got to
see it I was to go Sedona which is beautiful
place in it's own right. There place places
Arizona and Utah I want to see.
go see them. you only live once

Back