UPDATE Climb Complete - Grand Canyon hikers GTHIH

MikeMcMann

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Update : bucket list item completed. Descent to Canyon Floor on the morning of Saturday Jan 18. Ascent to the top on Sunday Jan 19. Update and pictures in Post 41.

So I've been staying in Scottsdale Arizona for a few weeks now helping my Bro out with a small company he just acquired.

On a whim I decided to take off to the Grand Canyon for the weekend.

I'm an avid hiker and Mountain biker. I've taken on many mountain hikes (Alberta, Washington, Oregon, Columbia, Spain, etc) but I must say the Grand Canyon is both awe inspiring and intimidating.

I did not come prepared to make the descent to the bottom. Was not expecting the snow and ice up top and much warmer temps as you descend.

I spoke to some people just emerging from a descent and accent and time down is about 6hours and up 8.

I picked up some crampons yesterday and played with some light descents while going around the rim. In a few hours I will test some of the steeper descents but not try to make bottom. I need full chains for the shoes and not these light spikes I got.

I'm booking to come back in January and plan to have the proper gear to make the full descent. I'm told that I have to report my plans and route to the Rangers station as they have the most rescues in Jan and July (ice and heat).

Any Sherdoggers take this on and can you share experiences?

I'll add pics to OP when I have WIFI later.

Last edited:
I've been to Havasupai Falls, which is farther down the Gran Canyon. The Hike there is 10 miles downhill it's a 2,000 foot decent. The hike on the way up is way tougher, specially the ending part is killer because it's really steep.

This is the ending spot of said hike
20748406_10154869076057742_3082866401059556704_o.jpg

I've been to Havasupai Falls, which is farther down the Gran Canyon. The Hike there is 10 miles downhill it's a 2,000 foot decent. The hike on the way up is way tougher, specially the ending part is killer because it's really steep.

This is the ending spot of said hike
View attachment 689043

WInter might be a good time to do this as well, its normally very hard to get reservations as its on Indian land not in the national park.

I haven't been since they added the super freaky Skyview platform or whatever it's called. Now that people have jumped off it, it's probably EXTRA cursed.

It's a hole and some rocks in a barren wasteland
Ya no. The picture above shows you it is much more than that.

So do you feel the same way about mountains (its a hill) or places like Yellowstone (trees)?

Trees and hills are cool, desert hole is boring.

I'm not gonna walk 8 hours to see a tree

Been there but did not do the hike. Rim was covered with a gentle dusting of snow and the sun was out, it was beautiful.

If you get a chance go to Chaco Canyon in NM. Great hiking there and probably the coolest native american structures in the US. The hike to the furthest structure is pretty damn cool.

Americas most boring landmark
maybe, but as a foreigner who's done a coast to coast, and beyond trip, its not close to being the most boring tourist ''attraction'' that's Pearl Harbour by some distance.

You might need a Google account to see these pics. If you can't see them and want to let me know and I'll upload them again later along with the new photos I am heading out now to get.

All taken yesterday with Samsung S10 phone.

My walking stick and rental bike.

ZXoYpPh.jpg

42urnAo.jpg

HyIbS8a.jpg

HRE4x1B.jpg

Ql5yP93.jpg

pqnvmRT.jpg

D0WVm2l.jpg

B7HPNIi.jpg

d7SuTO0.jpg

5eidmcK.jpg

4A6DN3y.jpg

AfMDPWT.jpg

blHbhEB.jpg

Last edited:
I do love Amazon. All my gear has arrived and i've been out almost daily hiking with the new back pack with about 35lbs of weight inside doing stairs and hills to get prepared for my Jan 17 weekend Grand Canyon floor descent attempt.

As i stated last time I was not expecting to go there so I did not have the right gear but now I think i have everything I need (already have good hiking boots and clothes).

So what say you sherbro's, is there anything you think I am missing?

7cjmubq.jpg

UJt3piC.jpg

IlxxcY8.jpg

8Jdi3iU.jpg

yLsqBT9.jpg

G752Tqg.jpg

Goal is to arrive to the Canyon Valley (top city) later Friday afternoon and settle in and relax.

To get up early with first light and start the descent down using The South Kaibob Trail. to Phantom Ranch on the Canyon floor. We are told to expect that descent to take up to 6 hours at that time of year.

And then stay over night at Phantom Ranch, get up early and make the ascent back to the surface via the Bright Angel Trail which is expected to 8-10 hours at this time of year.

--------

So weather is the X factor here. Weather permitting (fingers crossed), we will be good to go. We are prepared for icy or snowy conditions and the temp changes (up to 20 degrees warmer at bottom than top) but if they are expecting any significant snow the 2-3 prior or while we would be hiking, we won't risk it.

When I was there earlier this month I spoke to an avid climber who is also part of the rescue Rangers there and he and a small group of avid climbers (descenders) got caught on Thanksgiving weekend hiking, when a snow storm blew in. They had all the proper clothes but did not bring snow shoes. Snow filled in the big bowl real quick and with each step the snow was up to their hips. It was impossible for them to walk. They had to lie on their bellies and basically swim on top of the snow. They took hours to get to one of the bathroom, rest spots that serves as emergency shelter and waited it out there until fellow Rangers came down with snow shoes for them.

While i am up for a good challenging hike, and a good surprise and story is welcomed, I have no desire to try snow swimming it to safety.

giphy.gif

THOUGHTS?

ADVICE?

GUIDEANCE?

Last edited:
maybe, but as a foreigner who's done a coast to coast, and beyond trip, its not close to being the most boring tourist ''attraction'' that's Pearl Harbour by some distance.
Huh? I really liked Pearl Harbor. Much more than I thought I would.

Personally i find the Appalachians kinda boring

I went from north rim to south rim. Was great but we went slow and camped down there. Not difficult unless you aren't very active.

I went from north rim to south rim. Was great but we went slow and camped down there. Not difficult unless you aren't very active.
Ahhh. I am so tempted to do the North to South rim run but at this time of year (January) it simply is not the best. But depending on when we get to the South rim Friday night and the conditions we might jump on a shuttle and go over to the North Rim and sleep there and then do the North to south working our way back to our vehicle. With of course a stay over on the bottom.

On my short 4-6 hour hikes I detail up-thread I passed so many people on the ascent who were in obvious distress in getting back to the top. That is the issue with doing the 'down' portion first and having to go up and deal with altitude after. People will not realize how much more difficult the up leg is.

Whereas when i hike typical mountains or large hills, and you see people take them on who struggle, when they quit they just turn and walk down. They quit and have the easy part with gravity assist to get down. You are deep in the G.Canyon then you have no choice. You have to go up. You have to deal with the incline and altitude.

Back