Unwritten rules for instant rematch in title fights

skysolo

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
These are not the rules of "fans", but when a fighter actually receives an instant rematch.

1. Dana likes you
-Jedrzejczyk /Namajunas
--Penn/Edgar
-Garbrandt/Dillashaw
*Rousey (although not title fight against Holm)

2. Controversial decision
-Shogun/Machida
-Edgar/Henderson

3. Champion with most wins or considered long term loses
-Silva/Weidman

A fighter may fit one catogery but will not receive an instant rematch because he/she fails another one.
-Demetrious Johnson and Jose Aldo were long term champions but fail at Dana liking them.
-Miocic had most wins as champion at HW but he had played hardball with Dana
-Dillashaw (2016) lost in a controversial decision but Dana liked Faber and Garbrant much, much more

Does it make money??? Is only criteria

Barao was gonna get an instant rematch for number 3 as well, but he was pulled. Plus, I think Penn/Edgar easily fits the controversy section too.

Instant rematches are stupid unless its a super close decision.

Not a fan... but a few champions have earned the right just for the work they put in... Would rather see the new champ fight the next in line and the former have a #1 contender match to keep the division moving...

Barao was gonna get an instant rematch for number 3 as well, but he was pulled. Plus, I think Penn/Edgar easily fits the controversy section too.
Dana liked Barao at the time. You are right about Penn/Edgar. I just didn't want to write it twice.

Penn got hosed in the first Edgar fight. If there was ever a reason for an immediate rematch, that was it. Then Edgar dominated him. But the rematch was warranted.

I also think a draw warrants an immediate rematch as well. Just my opinion though.

Penn without a question beat Edgar in rounds 1-3 in their first bout.

Aldos next fight was a title fight. Conor moved up

then lost to max and had a rematch

Aldo and Stipe were extremely deserving of an instant rematch.

However, Conor left 145 to fight RDA at 155 and never went back down and Aldo did get multiple cracks at Holloway.

DC stayed at heavyweight though, and ended up fighting Derrick Lewis, who was clearly less deserving the Stipe. Derrick Lewis in his own words said he didn’t deserve a title shot based on his own performance the night his balls got hot beating up a Russian for President Trump.

These are not the rules of "fans", but when a fighter actually receives an instant rematch.

1. Dana likes you
-Jedrzejczyk /Namajunas
--Penn/Edgar
-Garbrandt/Dillashaw
*Rousey (although not title fight against Holm)

2. Controversial decision
-Shogun/Machida
-Edgar/Henderson

3. Champion with most wins or considered long term loses
-Silva/Weidman

A fighter may fit one catogery but will not receive an instant rematch because he/she fails another one.
-Demetrious Johnson and Jose Aldo were long term champions but fail at Dana liking them.
-Miocic had most wins as champion at HW but he had played hardball with Dana
-Dillashaw (2016) lost in a controversial decision but Dana liked Faber and Garbrant much, much more
Weidman said before the fight he'd give Anderson an immediate rematch out of respect to his legacy and to prove to himself he was better cause anyone can have a perfect performance on any given night but there is no question if you do it twice (although it didn't quite work out like that as both wins were kind of weird.)

Aldo also deserved this opportunity but Conor knew it was better for his own brand to leave it at 1 despite Aldo twice being promised a rematch.

Rousey got her shot over a year later
Hardly immediate
I don't think you know what instant rematch means.

Instant rematch means you don't have to take another fight before fighting for the title again, not that you'll be dragged by your ears into the octagon the very next month whether you're ready or not.

Weidman said before the fight he'd give Anderson an immediate rematch out of respect to his legacy and to prove to himself he was better cause anyone can have a perfect performance on any given night but there is no question if you do it twice (although it didn't quite work out like that as both wins were kind of weird.)

Aldo also deserved this opportunity but Conor knew it was better for his own brand to leave it at 1 despite Aldo twice being promised a rematch.
As if Weidman would have had a choice.

4. The fight was a draw (Wonderboy vs. Woodley)

Back