Until Zuffa pays their fighters more, MMA will never draw the A-level athletes

pointfighter

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When you can go make million in pretty much any other sport the Reggie Bushes and Lebron James of the world are never going to pursue a career in a high risk, violent sport like MMA when the payday is peanuts.

UFC won't even pony up 500k for Diaz to fight Anderson Silva, when that card would probably be one of the highest selling PPVs they have ever had.

Wow, in 20 years of watching the UFC, this never occurred to me. Thanks for pointing it out.

I don't want A-level athletes in MMA.

I want A-level fighters.

MMArtists need to be fighters first. Athletes 2nd.

Also, how much money is involved in Greco-Roman and Freestyle Wrestling? Not much right?

I guess there are no A-level athletes in wrestling?

How about gynnastics? No money there either.

No A-level athletes in gymnastic either according to you, TS.

Fail more.

Good, we should only have fighters that do it for the love of the sport. Not the money.

You' are losing every crap thread you are starting today "Point fighter" by Unanimous decision

it should be a ban whenever someone brings up the stupid "A Level" athlete bullshit

Lebron can't even last a game without cramping up LOL!

Also why aren't these A-level athletes trying out for HW boxing to make Floyd Mayweather money? If they aren't doing boxing what makes you think they'll do MMA?

I want A-level fighters.

Also, how much money is involved in Greco-Roman and Freestyle Wrestling? Not much right?

Fail more.

yeah, this pretty much sums it up. i could add a lot of 'A'-level athletes just aren't fighters. that's just another mentality.

Here you go Ronaldo, come and get beaten up for a living instead of playing football.

Erm, no thanks.

They don't pay enough I agree but they can't afford to pay what they deserve until they pull better ppv numbers, they can't afford to pay top guys Mayweather money because well there an organization not a system like boxing where every fighter is pretty much an independent contractor

Even though everyone will rip his throat out TS is pretty spot on. I really only see this as an issue at HW (simply because if a guy is that big and athletic, he can probably play something else).

There are plenty of "A-level" athetles in MMA, especially in the smaller weight classes. DJ is an A-level athlete, but at 5'3 he has limited options. Honestly nearly everyone competing at the UFC level is "A-level" but they won't get all of those huge athletes until fighters make more. Just an observation, it isn't really possible for the UFC to pay like the NBA though.

Why are you guys so obsessed with basketball players doing martial arts?

It's been enjoyable enough without them. Couldn't care less about a level athletes.

An A level athlete in one sport isn't an A level athlete in all sports

Oh boy not this sh*t again!!!
this-is-why-aliens-won-amp-039-t-talk-to-us_o_2057355.jpg

I want A-level fighters.

Fail more.

Well said.

Fighting is a bit different than other sports. It's not always the most athletic that wins the fights. A lot of basketball and football players think they are tough, but very few of them have the special mentality to risk their lives and future health in a fight.

The best fighters are what we want, not the best money driven athletes.

BTW - who's that in your avatar, she looks really familiar...

Back