Until Dawn-The $60 Cutscene

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Holy shit what a disappointment this was. I was hoping for a campy survival horror game with decent interaction but this is essentially point-and-click crap. The only saving grace is the graphics. I feel sorry for those who bought it rather than renting.

Pretty fun as a rental or discount buy if you love horror movies. I liked that my actions literally decided whether people lived or died. How many games give you the illusion of choice? You can finish the whole game with everyone alive.

I got many of them killed...lol

Played the early parts with friends and passed the controller at a death or character swap

Tip Guide I found:

1. Curiosity killed the cat
2. Animals are your friends
3. Sometimes doing nothing is the right thing to do
4. Just because the character is a b**** doesn't mean they don't have something to contribute
5. Wearing headphones might make you s*** yourself
6. Don't lie to the therapist
7. Read the notes and pay attention to the information
8. Don't get discouraged by black or red totems
9. Pay attention to your surroundings
10. If there isn't a timer, take your time and weigh your options
11. Just because you can fight something doesn't mean you should
12. There is such thing as being too brave or too nice

I watched the game in Twitch and it looked average. These days I sessions in twitch beforehand to see If I like the look of a game.

Enjoyed it as a rental. I'd never pay full price for it though.

I'm halfway into my second playthrough, trying to get them all killed.

Looks intriguing, no way in hell I'm spending $60 on it though

Still on my first play through and I really like it. I really hope there's a run button for the second play through or else I'll probably just watch it on YouTube.

It's a lights off, earphone turned up game for sure

Looks intriguing, no way in hell I'm spending $60 on it though

Pretty much my thoughts. I definitely want to play it but I'll wait for the bargain bin PS+ sale that I'm sure won't be too far off.

Depends how they're done. That's too much of a blanket statement. I quite like cutscenes, back in the day, they had that assuring feeling that you were making progress. They were interesting. I'm not looking for a game that's basically one long cutscene though.
Cutscenes are definitely played out. When they first started (IE: GTA3), it was for a purpose to add a deeper story to the mission. Now, everyone's trying to create an in-game movie using cutscenes.

I literally watched half of Mortal Kombat X on YouTube as a 3-hour film.

So is the consensus that it's worth a play or nah?

Looks pretty cool, but I'm gonna wait until it's much cheaper to get it.

Does it cause Gone Home levels of disappointment?

Cut scenes ruin games.

Depends how they're done. That's too much of a blanket statement. I quite like cutscenes, back in the day, they had that assuring feeling that you were making progress. They were interesting. I'm not looking for a game that's basically one long cutscene though.

I don't want to be a dick here...but what exactly did you expect? What is "decent interaction" to you? This game was always very clearly a QTE game based on choice to add replay value. I don't really understand how someone can be fooled by what this is.

I'm not trying to argue whether it has value to the tune of $60, but I feel like everyone knew what they were getting with this.

I liked it, it was a great game. It was an experience of how far graphics are going.

I rented it and beat it in a day. It was pretty good, but I wouldn't recommend buying for 60$, maybe 30 would be good.

Also TS how did you not know it was an interactive movie type game? It was clearly seen from the beginning. This is a game along the lines of Heavy Rain, Beyond, and the telltale games.

I also rented it and beat the game in about 8 hours, I enjoyed it definitely a fan of good horror type game. Its definitely a good buy at around 30-40 bucks and I plan on getting it once it drops in price to try different choices.

Early on the scares were good, I felt bad when I knew I made a bad choice or my actions caused a negative effect on a person. Towards the end it felt rushed to wrap things up but overall its worth a look for anyone that's even a tiny fan of the genre.

So is the consensus that it's worth a play or nah?

Worth a play yes. I starting a new game as I had only one survivor and hate that bitch. Like someone said its not a 'illusion of choice' game. You can fuck things up royally.

Play it with the speakers/headphones on loud

I played it with a friend and it was surprising good. I enjoy these type of games. Love the spooky atmosphere and the developers nailed majority of the animations especially female characters asses. The game has it's flaws like the story getting a little ridiculous and some cliche teenage drama slasher dialogue but I came in with no expectations and had a great experience with some decent scares.

I hated on the game when it came out but it went on sale and seeing as how Halloween is coming up I figured I would ignore my instincts and get it based on the good word of mouth.

Well, it's fucking awesome and one of the more memorable video games I've played.

Reviews say it's good, pretty much across the board, but then again Beyond Two Souls and especially Life Is Strange and all the other cinematic games after the awesome Heavy Rain makes me cautious with another one.

That genre is so weird since HR & Fahrenheit were 10's, but then some lackluster titles followed, so you go from anticipating excellence to being lured to mediocrity. And you can't watch a walkthrough because these types are spoiler-heavy. Will wait for a sale.

I hated on the game when it came out but it went on sale and seeing as how Halloween is coming up I figured I would ignore my instincts and get it based on the good word of mouth.

Well, it's fucking awesome and one of the more memorable video games I've played.

They are making a second game, apparently. With new characters and setting.

They could do a legit slasher this time.

Looks just like the telltale games but with better graphics. I'll play it when it's cheaper on PSN.

I haven't played this yet, and I'm biased, but i would love the true slasher route. Something similar to Halloween would be awesome but that might limit them on what they could do with the game.

I haven't played this yet, and I'm biased, but i would love the true slasher route. Something similar to Halloween would be awesome but that might limit them on what they could do with the game.

Well, basically this game borrows from a lot of types of horror movies. Much of the game is a slasher, and a good one, but it becomes a different type of horror at one point.

If you can get it cheap it's worth it.

I wanted more Saw like choices, those were some insanely tense moments. The one with the saws lowering as you were thinking of what to do was crazy.

Heard they are also gonna tie it in with the VR headset. A full on slasher with this type of game would be awesome. Still pissed about The Cabin In The Woods game being scrapped it sounded excellent on paper.

There's 3 different endings and it takes at least a few hours for each one so I think it's still worth $60.

I'll pick this up when it's free on PS+. Could have been great given the graphics and setting but I've watched several playthroughs and its a giant pile of dogshit.

Reviews say it's good, pretty much across the board, but then again Beyond Two Souls and especially Life Is Strange and all the other cinematic games after the awesome Heavy Rain makes me cautious with another one.

That genre is so weird since HR & Fahrenheit were 10's, but then some lackluster titles followed, so you go from anticipating excellence to being lured to mediocrity. And you can't watch a walkthrough because these types are spoiler-heavy. Will wait for a sale.
You don't like Life is Strange? Shit got REAL in the last episode.

If you check out reddit and neogaf this is the top game people bring up hoping for a sale...Eur psn got their wish, hopefully the NA psn does us a solid next week...

If you check out reddit and neogaf this is the top game people bring up hoping for a sale...Eur psn got their wish, hopefully the NA psn does us a solid next week...

I think it's currently on sale as well as Alien Isolation on PSN NA

I've been watching Dashie Games' play through, it's an interesting game, and I'm a big slasher fan so I appreciate it, but it should be $30 at most.

I think it's currently on sale as well as Alien Isolation on PSN NA

Alien Iso is but not Until Dawn for NA...but the NA halloween sale says week 1...so hopefully Until Dawn and also Soma are on next weeks sale...Until Dawn is on the Eu ps store halloween sale for sure thou...

I just watched the playthrough on Youtube. So many questions left unanswered...

Back