Unsigned Light Heavyweights

DrGlaze

Dank Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This thread is inspired by Paul L's "Unsigned Heavweights" thread. I will quote the opening from his thread as well as use his template to make things easier.
Due to the overall scope of the light heavyweight division, and the visibility most new prospects receive as opposed to other divisions, I thought it would be interesting to post my personal list of upcoming light heavyweights that could eventually make their way into a major promotion.

I've only listed fighters who have never been signed by the UFC, Pride, Strikeforce, or Bellator, with preference to fighters under 36. Factors I've taken into account when profiling fighters are: Age, camp, record, level of opposition, dedication (fight consistency and athleticism), and skill-set.

Please feel free to post your own prospects and promote discussion of the light heavyweights outside major organizations in this thread to make it a continuing resource for posters and promoters alike.
1. Stephan Puertz
Height: 6'6" Weight: 205 Age: 27 Reach: N/A Rec: 12-1
M-1's shining star at 205, Stephan Puetz has a accomplished a great feat in a short amount of time. Starting his career with nine straight wins before a dubious decision loss to Joachim Christensen, Puetz rebound with a short notice upset title win over champion and fellow prospect Vitor Nemkov. He has since defended his title twice. Puetz uses straight punches and quick leg kicks on the feet, picking his opponents apart from the outside. The clinch is where he prefers to do his bidding though, throwing very strong knees. His ground game is quite a peculiar case. While his takedown defense leaves a lot to be desired, he has outstanding scrambles and reversals that lead him to dominant positions.

2. Maxim Grishin
Height: 6'3" Weight: 205 Age: 30 Reach: 76.0" Rec: 18-6
Fighting the earlier part of his career at heavyweight, Grishin experienced mixed results. After faltering in his second M-1 title fight, he moved back down to 205 and has rattled off 6 straight wins (Including Joachim Christensen, Ray Lopez, Mario Miranda,Rodney Wallace, Trevor Prangley and a kickboxing win over Sokoudjou). Maxim brings a very technical kickboxing game, as well as strong sambo, much improved cardio, and takedown defense.

3. Viktor Nemkov
Height: 6'1" Weight: 205 Age: 27 Reach: N/A Rec: 19-5
Despite being the most experienced fighter on this list, it's easy to forget Nemkov has yet to hit 30. He's been a mainstay in M-1 for most of his career, racking up an 11-4 record. He's well rounded in the standup department, but relies more on his speed more than knockout power. Holding gold in the 2011 Russian and World Sambo Championships, it's no surprise Nemkov excels at getting the fight to the ground where he likes to work ground and pound to set up his submissions. The one time M-1 champion holds notable wins over Chuck Grigsby, Abdul-Kerim Edilov, Gadzhimurad Antigulov, and Vasiliy Babich.

4. Tomasz Narkun
Height: 6'3" Weight: 205 Age: 25 Reach: N/A Rec: 9-2The top light heavyweight prospect coming out of Poland, Tomasz Narkun started his MMA career in 2009. Fighting primarily in M-1 and KSW, he racked up 9 wins, losing only to Vyacheslav Vasilevsky by TKO and UFC vet Goran Reljic by dubious decision. Winner of the 2014 ADCC European championship and 2013 ADCC quarter finalist, Narkun is a grappler first and foremost, also earning all 9 of his wins by submission. While he is a little stuff and uncomfortable on the feet, he does possess some nice heavy low kicks. Narkun has good takedowns, mostly double legs or trips from the clinch.

5. Mikhail Mokhnatkin
Height: 6'3" Weight: 205 Age: 25 Reach: N/A Rec: 6-1-1
A master of sport in sambo, Mikhail Mokhnatkin is another talented crossover athlete coming out of Russia. After a loss in his debut, he burst onto the scene with wins over Artur Astakhov and Valentijn Overeem in only five fights. On the feet Mokhnatkin has a great sense of distance, throwing a variety of kicks at range and counter punching with the hands when his opponent is pressuring. He's also shown the ability to stay composed and fire back under pressure. As soon as the clinch is initiated, the sambo champion immediately begins fishing for trips and throws. Now on a seven fight unbeaten streak, Mokhnatkin is on schedule to become a major player in the division in the following years.

Joachim Christensen
Height: N/A Weight: 205 Age:23 Reach: N/A Rec:N/A

To be profiled shortly.

7. Jiri Prochazka
Height: 6'3" Weight: 205 Age:23 Reach: N/A Rec:14-2

To be profiled shortly.

8. Paul Craig
Height: N/A Weight: 205 Age:N/A Reach: N/A Rec: N/A

To be profiled shortly.

9. Jake Butler
Height: 6'3" Weight: 205 Age: 32 Reach: N/A Rec: 5-1
Jake Butler gets his spot on this list based mostly on his potential. Debuting in 2013, Butler has spent his entire career fighting One FC, where he has collected a record of 5-1 avenging his only loss along the way. The former Princeton wrestling captain has great takedowns, whether it be straight shots in, clinch takedowns, or even slams if need be. As well as adapting very well to working on the cage. He also moves very well during scrambles, which allows his submissions and offensive ground striking to be put on display from varies dominant positions. While still very robotic and unrefined in the standup, working with the world class strikers at Evolve has definitely helped progress it. In a division that has the likes of Roger Gracie and James McSweeney, we might see Jake tested against some former UFC talent and in the running for the inaugural ONE light heavyweight title.

10. Gadzhimurad Antigulov
Height: N/A Weight: 205 Age:N/A Reach: N/A Rec: N/A

To be profiled shortly.

Last edited:
It is a packed weekend for the Light Heavyweight division. With WSOF deciding their first champ, Liam McGeary vs Tito Ortiz, and the Light Heavyweight Tournament in Bellator happening in the following days; there are many other matches at 205 scattered about.

A list of the other matchups this weekend:

Friday (9/18):
Alessio Sakara (15-11) vs Dib Akil (2-2)
Tomislav Spahović (7-5) vs. Gustav Dietz (1-2) *Assuming Nicolai Salchov withdrew due to signing with WSOF
Matej Batinić (14-2) vs. Marcin Prachnio (6-2)

Saturday (9/19):
Karl Moore (5-0) vs. Paul Craig (6-0)
Saku Heikola (5-5) vs. Milan Markovic (2-0)
Nihad Nasufovic (3-1) vs. Jonas Schmitt (4-2)
Sebastian Heil (3-0) vs. Johnathan Redondo (Debut)
Emiliano Sordi (13-5) vs. Andrew Flores Smith (14-9)
Ariel Arce (4-2) vs. Jorge Gonzales (9-2)
Rogelio Ortiz (3-1) vs. Lucas Alsina (2-0)
Eric Schafer (13-7-2) vs. Eric Hammerich (7-10)
Kris Lee (2-1) vs. JP Shortall (Pro Debut, 3-0 Am)
Gregory Smith (5-2 Am) vs. Darrin Hunsdon (7-0 Am)
Ryan Parker (4-1 Am) vs. Anthony Wilson (1-3 Am)
Trevor Carlson (9-2) vs. Ben Fuimaono (18-2-1)

Sunday (9/20):
Murad Izmailov (4-0) vs. Oleg Gapchenko (4-4)
Anthony Harvey (4-2 Am) vs. Jesse James (7-1 Am)
Russell Jones (2-0 Am) vs. Joseph Ramirez (5-0 Am)

Let me know what matches you guys are looking forward to, or if I missed any!

Artur Astakhov won the Pro Fc light heavyweight against Davor Vidović instead of his originally planned match with Max Nunes. Hopefully they can reschedule that fight.
Do you know why Max Nunes withdrew?

Herdem Alacabek (2-0) vs. Mathieu Grondin (3-1) just got booked as well, Herdem have been praised a lot by swedish MMA media and training partners from Allstars.

Battle of Botnia, November 28, Umeå.
Thomas Back vs. Souksavanh Khampasath
Herdem Alacabek vs. Mathieu Grondin
Jonatan Westin vs. Gheorghe Gritko
Emil Weber Meek vs. Christophe Van Djck
Viktor Gustafsson vs. Kams Ekpo
Fernando Flores vs. Martial Seguy
David Michel Häggström vs. Emil Hartsner
Lina Akhtar Länsberg vs. Lucie Pudilova
Niklas Bäckström vs. Georgi Stoyanov – Main Event

Quite intresting card overall from a prospect pov, I don't really know a lot about the non-swedish fighters but Jonatan Westin and Emil Weber Meek are two quite intresting WW prospects. David Häggström vs Emil Harstner are a Swede vs Swede BW fight between two guys with potential. And you have probably heard/seen Niklas Bäckström before.

http://www.mmaviking.com/battle-of-botnia-2015-card-finalized/

TS, a bit unrelated but any guys you expect to try out for TUF 23? LHW will be cast.

I'm expecting guys like (and would be happy with):

Josh Stansbury
Jeremy Osheim
Jesse McElligott
Myron Dennis
Everett Cummings
Mike Fannon
Trevor Carlson
Mo DeReese
Karl Moore
Andy Clamp
Jordan Johnson
Karl Albrektsson
Alex Nicholson
Devin Clark
Cory Hendricks
John Lair
Paul Craig

There'll be the usual 8-5 or whatever guy who slips through the net but a cast involving some of those guys could be solid.
I wouldnt count out Joachim Christensen and Max Nunes either, like I said earlier we could maybe get another Europe vs USA season if they are doing a double weight class season.

11. Jiri Prochazka

Height: 6'4" Weight: 205 Age: Reach: N/A Rec:12-2-1

To be profiled shortly.

12.Gadzhimurad Antigulov

Height: 6'0" Weight: 205 Age:28Reach: N/A Rec:15-4

To be profiled shortly.

13. Joachim Christensen

Height: 6'3" Weight: 205 Age:N/A Reach: N/A Rec:11-3

To be profiled shortly.

14. Doo Hwan Kim

Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 Age:26 Reach: N/A Rec:8-2

To be profiled shortly.

15. Marcus Vanttinen

Height: 6'4" Weight: 205 Age:27 Reach: N/A Rec:24-6

To be profiled shortly.

16. Marcin Lazarz

Height: 6'4" Weight: 205 Age:32 Reach: N/A Rec:8-1

To be profiled shortly.

17. Artur Astakhov

Height: 6'1" Weight: 205 Age:27 Reach: N/A Rec:10-3

To be profiled shortly.

18. Zoumana Cisse

Height: 5'11" Weight: 205 Age:N/A Reach: N/A Rec:9-1

To be profiled shortly.

19. Brandon Ropati

Height: 6'1" Weight: 205 Age:25 Reach: N/A Rec:7-1

To be profiled shortly.

20. Matej Batinic

Height: 6'3" Weight: 205 Age:23 Reach: N/A Rec:14-2

To be profiled shortly.

Honorable Mentions (Sorted alphabetically by first name):
Aleksandar Rakic
Andy Clamp
Daniel Jolly
Karl Albrektsson
Karl Moore
Leonardo Silva
Matheus Scheffel
Mo De'Reese

Last edited:
It is a packed weekend for the Light Heavyweight division. With WSOF deciding their first champ, Liam McGeary vs Tito Ortiz, and the Light Heavyweight Tournament in Bellator happening in the following days; there are many other matches at 205 scattered about.

A list of the other matchups this weekend:

Friday (9/18):
Alessio Sakara (15-11) vs Dib Akil (2-2)
Tomislav Spahović (7-5) vs. Gustav Dietz (1-2) *Assuming Nicolai Salchov withdrew due to signing with WSOF
Matej Batinić (14-2) vs. Marcin Prachnio (6-2)

Saturday (9/19):
Karl Moore (5-0) vs. Paul Craig (6-0)
Saku Heikola (5-5) vs. Milan Markovic (2-0)
Nihad Nasufovic (3-1) vs. Jonas Schmitt (4-2)
Sebastian Heil (3-0) vs. Johnathan Redondo (Debut)
Emiliano Sordi (13-5) vs. Andrew Flores Smith (14-9)
Ariel Arce (4-2) vs. Jorge Gonzales (9-2)
Rogelio Ortiz (3-1) vs. Lucas Alsina (2-0)
Eric Schafer (13-7-2) vs. Eric Hammerich (7-10)
Kris Lee (2-1) vs. JP Shortall (Pro Debut, 3-0 Am)
Gregory Smith (5-2 Am) vs. Darrin Hunsdon (7-0 Am)
Ryan Parker (4-1 Am) vs. Anthony Wilson (1-3 Am)
Trevor Carlson (9-2) vs. Ben Fuimaono (18-2-1)

Sunday (9/20):
Murad Izmailov (4-0) vs. Oleg Gapchenko (4-4)
Anthony Harvey (4-2 Am) vs. Jesse James (7-1 Am)
Russell Jones (2-0 Am) vs. Joseph Ramirez (5-0 Am)

Let me know what matches you guys are looking forward to, or if I missed any!

Izmailov is dropping to LHW? Damn, he's going to be a big LHW. His last fight a year ago he was 258 pounds at 6'5, although he did have a lot of fat on him. I could see him hydrating back up to 220-230.

Do you know why Max Nunes withdrew?

Herdem Alacabek (2-0) vs. Mathieu Grondin (3-1) just got booked as well, Herdem have been praised a lot by swedish MMA media and training partners from Allstars.

Battle of Botnia, November 28, Umeå.
Thomas Back vs. Souksavanh Khampasath
Herdem Alacabek vs. Mathieu Grondin
Jonatan Westin vs. Gheorghe Gritko
Emil Weber Meek vs. Christophe Van Djck
Viktor Gustafsson vs. Kams Ekpo
Fernando Flores vs. Martial Seguy
David Michel Häggström vs. Emil Hartsner
Lina Akhtar Länsberg vs. Lucie Pudilova
Niklas Bäckström vs. Georgi Stoyanov – Main Event

Quite intresting card overall from a prospect pov, I don't really know a lot about the non-swedish fighters but Jonatan Westin and Emil Weber Meek are two quite intresting WW prospects. David Häggström vs Emil Harstner are a Swede vs Swede BW fight between two guys with potential. And you have probably heard/seen Niklas Bäckström before.

http://www.mmaviking.com/battle-of-botnia-2015-card-finalized/

I'm not sure why he dropped out. I hope they reschedule, because that was a great fight. :icon_sad:

Good to see Alacabek back! He and Karl Alberektsson are the 2 developing Swedish fighters I'm keeping an eye on.

I wouldnt count out Joachim Christensen and Max Nunes either, like I said earlier we could maybe get another Europe vs USA season if they are doing a double weight class season.

If they did a Europe vs USA season at 205, it has the potential to be the most stacked season ever.

Few more to consider

Shamir Garcia

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Shamir-Garcia-136451
http://www.shamirbambamgarcia.com/

5-0-0 (4 KO, 1 Sub), 25 years old. Was 19-2 as an amateur, also held 8-0 amateur muay thai record. Holds wins over Ezilkiel Silvino (4-0) and Ray Lopez (7-5).

------

Keith Berish

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Keith-Berish-46314

5-0-0 (2 KO, 2 Sub, 1 Dec), 28 years old. High school wrestler, brown belt in jiu-jitsu. 5-0 amateur record. Tapped out Patrick Walsh (Team Edgar's #2 LHW pick on TUF 19) in 18 seconds.

------

Alexey Butorin

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Alexey-Butorin-43883

6-0-0 (6 KO), 27 years old. Stopped every opponent by knock out. Beat M1 vet Tadas Rimkevicius (20-10) in his most recent fight in March.

Izmailov is dropping to LHW? Damn, he's going to be a big LHW. His last fight a year ago he was 258 pounds at 6'5, although he did have a lot of fat on him. I could see him hydrating back up to 220-230.

I was honestly hoping you would stop in and give me your take on it. I thought it was odd seeing his fight listed at 205.

In other news,
Rodney Wallace wins the Hard Knocks Light Heavyweight title against late replacement Adrian Miles after Wallace's original opponent, Todd Stoute dropped out. With any luck, that will be Wallace's first defense.

Paul Craig scored a first round submission win over champ Marcin Łazarz to take the BAMMA Light Heavyweight title! I would like to see Craige signed, but if not a fight with Brett McDermott could work.

This weekend:
Vitaly Minakov's brother Dmitry should make his MMA debut on Fight Nights today.
Chad Hanekom will make his long awaited pro debut at EFC 46 tomorrow.
Venator will have their 4 man LHW tournament, matches include Stefan Croitoru vs. Mauro Cerilli and Prince Aounallah vs. Karl Moore.
Also, UFC vet Justin Jones will fight Bellator vet Luc Bondole at 205 for RFA 33.

So far the confirmed names for Rizin's Cruiser weight? Grand Prix:
King Mo (Bellator)
Mark Godbeer (BAMMA)
Goran Reljic (KSW)
Bruno Cappelozza (Jungle Fights)
Teodoras Auksluolis (Bushido)

I'm curious who the other participants are. Fedor said Vadim Nemkov and Baby Fedor would be fighting, so one of them might be in the tournament. Nemkov would be an interesting choice, but could turn out to be a bright star if he won.

cool thread, but you should take off Alexander Barbaryan, he's a cheater and a troll. Ill add some suggestions later.

Anybody mentioned Clampy?

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Andrew-Clamp-84900

Sparred with him in January. Great wrestling, athletic, pretty good grappling and striking too.

And a very cool guy! :)

He's on my honorable mentions list. He seems like a big, talented guy who has been surprisingly active. Really excited to see him continue his progression. I would like to see him sign with BAMMA to step up in competition.

King Mo (Bellator)
Mark Godbeer (BAMMA)
Goran Reljic (KSW)

I'm curious who the other participants are. Fedor said Vadim Nemkov and Baby Fedor would be fighting, so one of them might be in the tournament. Nemkov would be an interesting choice, but could turn out to be a bright star if he won.

Sidelnikov was 130 kg fought in Sambo last time :wink:. Nemkov is a great prospect, but too unexperienced. I hope he will not fight Mo for the opening round.

i think nemkov, grishin, and vanttinen would be good for bellators lhw division. they have some new faces and should keep adding

I was honestly hoping you would stop in and give me your take on it. I thought it was odd seeing his fight listed at 205.

Yeah, if it's correct he's going to be huge. I'm actually interested in the weigh ins for that event now.

Sidelnikov was 130 kg fought in Sambo last time :wink:. Nemkov is a great prospect, but too unexperienced. I hope he will not fight Mo for the opening round.

I think they'll end up putting Sidelnikov in the Grand Prix. Nemkov could turn out to be a bright prospect of handled properly.

Chad Hanekom has a successful pro debut, defeating Ruben Groenewald by 1st round
Submission.

Karl Moore beat Prince Aounallah by first round submission.
Stefan Croitoru also beat Mauro Cerilli, not sure how though.

Darren Stewart moved to 5-0. I know he won by Unanimous Decision, but I'm not sure of the opponent.

He's on my honorable mentions list. He seems like a big, talented guy who has been surprisingly active. Really excited to see him continue his progression. I would like to see him sign with BAMMA to step up in competition.

Yeah, I believe he could be something special.

He reminded me of John Olav Einemo in sparring. Tall and wiry but very quick and explosive and great follow-through on his takedowns.

Andreas Spang 9-3 vs Kelvin Tiller 7-1 added to Wsof 26' dec 18th

i think nemkov, grishin, and vanttinen would be good for bellators lhw division. they have some new faces and should keep adding

Vanttinen already parted ways with Bellator.
He says he never fight for them again.

Paul Craig defeated Karl Moore
Big win for him
I won't be surprised if UFC pick him up for Scotland event

How often do you update the first post? Or is the division so bad there is no need to update?

M-1 Challenge 62, oct 10

Stephan Puetz(13-1) - TBA(hope, Nemkov)
Adam Yandiev(8-0) - Dmitry Voitov(11-4)

King Mo (Bellator)
Mark Godbeer (BAMMA)
Goran Reljic (KSW)

According to Fedor and Millen....Vadim Nemkov indeed is in the gp

I lack anything to add beyond thanking the folks who upkeep this thread. It's a serious help for the rest of us trying to figure out what can salvage the depth of an aging 205 lb division.

Brian Rogers vs. Virgil Zwicker added to bellator 147

Vegh injured
Now Maxim Grishin vs. Joaquim Ferreira

Next TUF will feature LHW.
But I have no hope cause Russians can't participate in TUF.

I think Joachim is too high tbh

I thought he might be too. The win over Stephen Puetz put him up a lot on my list(Even though I heard it was a robbery.), plus he's faced some pretty good competition over his past few fights. I'm open to suggestions though.

During the broadcast of WFCA 9 Edilov said that he was supposed to fight at UFC 192 but his opponent (Ilir Latifi) got injured and now it looks like that Edilov gonna fight at some card in January.

Im almost hoping for another Europe vs US season, maybe Gustafsson vs Evans?

Europe got a pretty solid lineup of promising fighters, even without the russians or Puetz since I guess M1 will hold on to him.

Max Nunes, Karl Albrektsson, Joachim Christensen and maybe Herdem Alacabek would be a pretty solid lineup. Especially since they recently had a 205 season that I would say was pretty damn bad with one exception. Those names are all nordic and on top of my head, I guess there should be some more intresting names from the outside. Considering Vänttinen last fought at heavyweight and probably added even more weight after that I think we could scratch him from a TUF season at least.

During the broadcast of WFCA 9 Edilov said that he was supposed to fight at UFC 192 but his opponent (Ilir Latifi) got injured and now it looks like that Edilov gonna fight at some card in January.

Damn!
Injury is inevitable but why is it take 3 months to book him another fight?

Marcus Sursa upsets Thiago Silva at Gladiator Cage Fight. He won by TKO in Round 2. Silva has made it apparent that he is no longer a top 205er.

Here's the video footage of the second round
Damn, Silva has really fallen off hard. Good win by Sursa, wouldn't mind seeing him in get a call to WSOF or Bellator.

If they tapped into the European talent at 205 that could be a super stacked season! Most of the prospects deserve to go to the UFC instead of gong through TUF though.

By the way Grishin defeated Joaquim Ferreira by TKO
and Joe Silva is still ignoring him

Also, Jiří Procházka defeats Evgeni Kondratov via KO/TKO at 4:26 of Round 1. The guy is a monster, and I would like a fight with Karlos Vemola, if he returns to 205 in the future.

Livingston Lukow is fighting at RFA 15 next month. He is only 1-0 as a pro, but he's 7-1 as an ammy. He might be a guy to keep an eye on.

I don't get it... All they sign for lhw is late replacement fat american middleweights. Edilov was a great signing though. There is a lot of young lhw talent in russia.

Also, Jiří Procházka defeats Evgeni Kondratov via KO/TKO at 4:26 of Round 1. The guy is a monster, and I would like a fight with Karlos Vemola, if he returns to 205 in the future.

Looks like Prochazka will fight for Rizin.

9-0 in MMA since dropping to 205, that's crazy. A lot of notable opponents too. It makes him one of the top guys at this weight, I just don't understand why they wouldn't snag him.
Max Nunes and Paul Buentello also both picked up wins over the weekend.
There are some interesting matches coming up in the future.
Marcin Łazarz will defend his BAMMA title against Paul Craig. On the same card, Brett McDermott will also fight Pelu Adetola.
Stephan Puetz is scheduled to return at M-1 challenge 62. His opponent has not been named yet.
Dominick Reyes returns on October 17th according to his Twitter.
Johnny Walker fights Klidson Farias on October 10th.
Angry Russian Saparbek Safarov returns against Randall Rayment on October 20th.

Gotto promote one of our local boy (Anchorage Alaska)

Mike Fannon (12-3) just won his fight in JD Penns promotion in Hawaii
http://youtu.be/chP-3FvUoJo

Vid can't post vid cause it's blocked so gotta click the link to check it out

I don't get it... All they sign for lhw is late replacement fat american middleweights. Edilov was a great signing though. There is a lot of young lhw talent in russia.

Cirnukov and Johnny Bravo were also really good signings. It's a good start, but they should keep it up. I also see Grishin playing a high end gate keeper role though. He probably won't break the top 5, but he is a definite top 10 talent.

Andreas spang 9-3 vs shamil gamzatov 9-0 added to Wsof 26

Back