Unsigned Heavyweights - Thread Four

Belostenniy is turning into a monster imo, he's just absolutely dispatching people into the nether realms and it looks like he's fixing that TDD hole. Outside Gane he has the most dynamic striking at HW imo.

That Popov fight was unfortunately extremely boring.

Belostenniy is turning into a monster imo, he's just absolutely dispatching people into the nether realms and it looks like he's fixing that TDD hole. Outside Gane he has the most dynamic striking at HW imo.

That Popov fight was unfortunately extremely boring.
I agree. I think Bilostenniy is so short that he might have some trouble with big guys (6'4"+) that use their reach well like Kornilov, Ferreira or let's say Volkov, but that's rare at heavyweight. Most tall guys are just lanky slow asf punching bags, with not much power behind their shots, like Austen Lane or Daniel Spitz. At this level Bilostenniy incredible speed alone should overcome that, but i wonder at the next stage. Anyway Bilostenniy and Kornilov train together, and Volkov does too at times, so nothing to worry here really. You're right that his TDD and defensive grappling is what he must improve at, his striking is just beautiful and deadly.

Popov much like Kuniev is a strong guy with a grinding do-all-to-win style that has a clear ceiling and it's not very high. I think he would smash some dudes outside of the UFC rankings, but i don't rate him very high too. I'd like to see him vs. Maslov though, that's a fight he can win for sure.

I agree. I think Bilostenniy is so short that he might have some trouble with big guys (6'4"+) that use their reach well like Kornilov, Ferreira or let's say Volkov, but that's rare at heavyweight. Most tall guys are just lanky slow asf punching bags, with not much power behind their shots, like Austen Lane or Daniel Spitz. At this level Bilostenniy incredible speed alone should overcome that, but i wonder at the next stage. Anyway Bilostenniy and Kornilov train together, and Volkov does too at times, so nothing to worry here really. You're right that his TDD and defensive grappling is what he must improve at, his striking is just beautiful and deadly.

Popov much like Kuniev is a strong guy with a grinding do-all-to-win style that has a clear ceiling and it's not very high. I think he would smash some dudes outside of the UFC rankings, but i don't rate him very high too. I'd like to see him vs. Maslov though, that's a fight he can win for sure.

I love the Austen Lane mention, that dude is the ultimate glass cannon.

Martin Buday (8-1) and Hugo Cunha (6-0) will fight soon, October 12. @Paul L

I'm so excited for this one, it's my favourite fight on this season by far. I'm picking Cunha, but Buday is a massive human being with incredible strength, so we'll see how it plays out. BJJ black belt in Cunha and Buday with the BJJ brown belt, we'll either see a ground war or they'll be boring and stay standing the entire time.

I'm so excited for this one, it's my favourite fight on this season by far. I'm picking Cunha, but Buday is a massive human being with incredible strength, so we'll see how it plays out. BJJ black belt in Cunha and Buday with the BJJ brown belt, we'll either see a ground war or they'll be boring and stay standing the entire time.
I'm thinking the wrestling of Cunha will be what separates them, and he'll cinch a sub after drowning Buday.

Edit: Cunha withdrew, Buday is now getting a contract in the form of fighting Lorenzo Hood.

Such a shame that Cunha is out. Fuck's sake. I reckon he goes back to Titan or something, wins 1-2 and gets signed outright.

Buday should steamroll Lorenzo fucking Hood.

Hood being on DWCS is borderline insulting. It is heavyweight, so weird things happen, but honestly I can think of dozens of fighters who deserve that shot over Hood. Beating dudes with records of 1-12 is just shameless can crushing, and that shouldn't be rewarded.

MMA Series 43, October 30
Oleg Popov vs. Alejandro Solorzano
Zaur Gadzhibabayev vs. Adam Keresh
decent fights but expected more of a step up in competition for Popov, he should be able to TKO this guy late

Keresh looks good, if he can stop Zaur from leaning on him he got this

Would the UFC bother with Isaev though?

He's old isn't he, and not very exciting?

Would the UFC bother with Isaev though?

He's old isn't he, and not very exciting?
It's HW, and he's undefeated so maybe. What works against him is that the last PFL HW champ got ran out of the division after two winnable fights on paper.

And if anyone cares about Isaev -- he wasn't fighting because of surgery and then COVID.

And if anyone cares about Isaev -- he wasn't fighting because of surgery and then COVID.
Hope he signs with someone other then PFL. Don't know if the 5 fights a year thing can work for a guy his age, maybe 2 fights is more in order

Back