Unsigned Heavyweights - Thread Four

Oumar 'Reug Reug' Kane climbs to 3-0 after running through a 0-0 kickboxer in the 1st round. Schmid was scheduled for a kickboxing bout on the same card but due to covid, had the balls to make his MMA debut on a few days notice so much respect to him for that.

@Paul L

DWCS is supposed coming back for a new season this summer, any HWs you think might turn up on this season? I think we're actually thin on the ground, I don't expect to see more than say 2 HW fights if that. Hugo Cunha (5-0) would've been ideal but he's scheduled for a great fight with Oleg Popov (10-1) elsewhere.

Some potentials could be:

Brett Martin (9-1), if he doesn't have a fight scheduled.
Chandler Cole (7-2), not very good but he's won his last couple of fights.
Trevor Wallace (4-0), don't know much about him but he's a LFA guy.

Can't think of many others to be honest.

Oumar 'Reug Reug' Kane climbs to 3-0 after running through a 0-0 kickboxer in the 1st round. Schmid was scheduled for a kickboxing bout on the same card but due to covid, had the balls to make his MMA debut on a few days notice so much respect to him for that.

Yeah, impressive balls on that dude for sure. Even went for an oma plata at one point.

@Paul L

DWCS is supposed coming back for a new season this summer, any HWs you think might turn up on this season? I think we're actually thin on the ground, I don't expect to see more than say 2 HW fights if that. Hugo Cunha (5-0) would've been ideal but he's scheduled for a great fight with Oleg Popov (10-1) elsewhere.

Maybe

Thomas Petersen (3-0) from LFA, but early in his career but he looks like a beast.
Jesus Navarette (7-0) who I think is a bit like a Mexican Tai Tuivasa.
Kyle Noblitt (11-2) who fights on the regionals, doesn't really wow me but there's not many HW's that do.

There's loads of Russians but I don't see them getting on tbh.

Yeah, impressive balls on that dude for sure. Even went for an oma plata at one point.

Maybe

Thomas Petersen (3-0) from LFA, but early in his career but he looks like a beast.
Jesus Navarette (7-0) who I think is a bit like a Mexican Tai Tuivasa.
Kyle Noblitt (11-2) who fights on the regionals, doesn't really wow me but there's not many HW's that do.

There's loads of Russians but I don't see them getting on tbh.

Nah, can't see any of the decent Russians being on there. It tends to be very North American heavy with HWs. Noblitt, IIRC, has a chequered past which led to him being removed from DWCS many moons ago, some sort of sexual assault allegations or similar that I think he denies.

Nah, can't see any of the decent Russians being on there. It tends to be very North American heavy with HWs. Noblitt, IIRC, has a chequered past which led to him being removed from DWCS many moons ago, some sort of sexual assault allegations or similar that I think he denies.

Oh fair enough, guess it depends on whether that got resolved one way or the other. With the recent thing with Tyler East I imagine they'd be careful with that, especially with what happened with Irvin Rivera earlier in the year too.

They do sometimes get Brazilian HW's on there (Nascimento was the last I think), so maybe Cunha could get on if he wins next week.

Oh fair enough, guess it depends on whether that got resolved one way or the other. With the recent thing with Tyler East I imagine they'd be careful with that, especially with what happened with Irvin Rivera earlier in the year too.

They do sometimes get Brazilian HW's on there (Nascimento was the last I think), so maybe Cunha could get on if he wins next week.

If Cunha beats Popov I'd sign him outright, guy looks like a beastly prospect. They're both good prospects actually, winner of that needs a UFC contract.

If Cunha beats Popov I'd sign him outright, guy looks like a beastly prospect. They're both good prospects actually, winner of that needs a UFC contract.

There's just so many Russians up there at HW, in my prospects list I think more than half are Russian and then in the backup list of people to keep an eye out for they're mostly Russian too.

There's just so many Russians up there at HW, in my prospects list I think more than half are Russian and then in the backup list of people to keep an eye out for they're mostly Russian too.

Yeah they are churning out the prospects aren't they. I was thinking actually, Petersen (3-0) might be a possibility because they are not against giving guys at the higher weight-classes a shot, even with small records. Nchukwi was 3-0 when he fought on DWCS, at 205lbs. Alton Meeks at HW was 3-0, also, I think.

It might be that he gets put on a developmental deal but Petersen could be a good shout.

Yeah they are churning out the prospects aren't they. I was thinking actually, Petersen (3-0) might be a possibility because they are not against giving guys at the higher weight-classes a shot, even with small records. Nchukwi was 3-0 when he fought on DWCS, at 205lbs. Alton Meeks at HW was 3-0, also, I think.

It might be that he gets put on a developmental deal but Petersen could be a good shout.

He's absolutely trounced his opponent every time I've seen him fight, but pretty low level competition.

I'm not sold on Petersen for a couple reasons. First, he's 6'1" with a 72" reach and a lot of extra weight. He's easily a 205'er. My second issue is he's not fighting even a remotely decent level of competition. I feel like DWCS he would end up like Meeks due to the rapid increase in competition level. Petersen is fighting a 1-1 guy in his next fight, going up from that to fight like Hugo Cunha or something in DWCS would be brutal for him.

Maybe if he drops to 205 and starts fighting better guys he'd be more prepared for a step up, but right now I'm really not on board. I'd sooner have Trevor Wallace on a DWCS since he has KO power and can get along in the division just off that. Jordan Heiderman and Mitchell Sipe are also interesting but I feel like they are also guys who should be at 205 and need a few more wins against better opponents. Sipe especially since he already had a chance.

The US scene in general is rough right now, like someone said above, I keep adding Russian fighters to the HW list, and rarely guys from other regions. Russia is just way better at pumping out the big guys currently.

Last edited:
@Paul L

Trevor Wallace just for the KO potential.

Brett Martin missed weight on his last fight and needs to get down to a healthier weight to be honest, Dana is about image as much as he is about talent. If you miss weight at HW you gotta get the weight under control, especially if you miss weight in LFA, because then UFC matchmakers hear about it.

Chandler Cole is possible.

Cunha if he beats Popov, but Popov is tricky, so we'll see.

Mitchell Sipe, Jordan Heiderman, Thomas Petersen are all guys who would be 205 like I mentioned above, but regardless they are 2022 additions if they continue at HW due to needing experience.

Odie Delaney is a possibility too. Delaney only has two fights but has a ton of D1 wrestling experience, including a win over Tyrell Fortune. Delaney's top level wrestling may be enough.

You could also add Vernon Lewis and Jamelle Jones in there, but I feel Vernon and Jamelle probably aren't on the radar due to their journeyman status.

So in summary...

Brett Martin
Chandler Cole
Trevor Wallace
Hugo Cunha
Mitchell Sipe
Jordan Heiderman
Thomas Petersen
Odie Delaney
Vernon Lewis
Jamelle Jones

Although realistically, Chandler Cole, Trevor Wallace, and Hugo Cunha are the only ones I think will be considered.

I'm not sold on Petersen for a couple reasons. First, he's 6'1" with a 72" reach and a lot of extra weight. He's easily a 205'er. My second issue is he's not fighting even a remotely decent level of competition. I feel like DWCS he would end up like Meeks due to the rapid increase in competition level. Petersen is fighting a 1-1 guy in his next fight, going up from that to fight like Hugo Cunha or something in DWCS would be brutal for him.

Maybe if he drops to 205 and starts fighting better guys he'd be more prepared for a step up, but right now I'm really not on board. I'd sooner have Trevor Wallace on a DWCS since he has KO power and can get along in the division just off that. Jordan Heiderman and Mitchell Sipe are also interesting but I feel like they are also guys who should be at 205 and need a few more wins against better opponents. Sipe especially since he already had a chance.

The US scene in general is rough right now, like someone said above, I keep adding Russian fighters to the HW list, and rarely guys from other regions. Russia is just way better at pumping out the big guys currently.
After seeing Ledet flame out as soon as he dropped to LHW, I'm more lenient with guys that could realistically make the weight staying as small HWs as long as the results are favorable. Best current example is what Chris Daukaus has been able to pull off, granted he did trim a fair amount of fat.

HW just doesn't really have that many guys that could punish size disadvantage given the lack of strong wrestlers and grapplers. Espino and Romanov seem like the more promising ones atm, and they're fighting each other (and one is almost 40!).

Noblitt went to a split decision with Jack May and he has a criminal past. No way that guy ever goes gets signed to UFC, thank god.

Regarding DWTNCS, If the UFC can get Kirill Kornilov to fly out to face some regional North American guy to test his wrestling defense that would be great.

between recent tuf and dwcs, and covid dead year for fight in general, I highly doubt a young gun will wind up on DWCS just an older, more experienced fighter, or a WMMA record type 3-0 "new" fighter.

need the regional grist mill to pull up overrated guys from small townie ops to the real regionals again.

But with covid might gets some taner boser like improvements from fighters focusing on cardio/fitness and not having walrus fights in packed gyms will have better chins for when they do get caught. Or a trained up crossover we have forgotten about due to them not having their local stuff open to get fights before jumping into LFA. TKO, and cage warriors haven't had loose rules to run events with so their talent is maturing

Interesting, watched Brzeski a few times. Solid fighter but I am not sure if his fightingstyle will impress Dana.

Interesting, watched Brzeski a few times. Solid fighter but I am not sure if his fightingstyle will impress Dana.

Fair, but Hood is so bad that Brzeski should finish him relatively easily and get a contract.

De Fries keeps winning. good to have an old man champ in KSW, sets a higher standard for prospects

De Fries keeps winning. good to have an old man champ in KSW, sets a higher standard for prospects

I can't wrap my head around the fact that Phil De Fries is a dominant champion in a big org in 2021. It doesn't make any sense to me!

Back