Unrealistic Martial Arts Moves

Alibilly97

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
When I went to a few TKD classes when i was little, they always seemed to teach moved that seemed unrealistic with the result you'd achieve, and you see a lot of demonstrations on the internet of these fancy moves. Don't any of you guys think alot of martial arts classes teach unrealistic moves?

I sometimes question why we don't see pressure point techniques in MMA. Some are illegal, but some aren't.

The chop to the side of the neck (brachial nerve), for instance, would seem to be a legitimate strike. But is there a reason why we don't see it that often (or at all), I wonder.

Last edited:
Hmmm, wouldn't a reason be some are hard to pull of with a resisting opponent with a good guard?

You should start this thread in F12 and mention berimbolo. They LOVE those.

When I went to a few TKD classes when i was little, they always seemed to teach moved that seemed unrealistic with the result you'd achieve, and you see a lot of demonstrations on the internet of these fancy moves. Don't any of you guys think alot of martial arts classes teach unrealistic moves?

Short answer: Yes, there are many styles that have a large number of ineffective and unrealistic moves. Some more than others.

Longer answer: The reason I call them unrealistic is not that there isn't a .000001% of it actually being effective but what are the chances of it being effective in a real fight against a resisting opponent. Normally, when someone signs up for "martial arts", they are wanting to learn how to fight. Unfortunately they are taught things that do not work (normally, percentage wise).

I sometimes question why we don't see pressure point techniques in MMA. Some are illegal, but some aren't.

The chop to the side of the neck (brachial nerve), for instance, would seem to be a legitimate strike. But is there a reason why we don't see it that often (or at all), I wonder.

For the same reason why every punch does not land on the nose...it is hard to connect.

I double it could be pulled off well against a resisting person, not to mention it is not an instant KO, people get kicked all the time in the neck and don't blink.

I roll my eyes at pain compliance moves. They work against the weak.

Someone tried to tell me you could noogie the back of the hand to get it to open. I bear hugged em. They couldn't get my hand open. Pain is nothing. You gotta be prepared to break that arm if your doing a wrist/arm control move irl.

So much is bullshit, like all the wrist locks, there's a reason you don't see in mma. Knife disarms too, so much is just giving confidence about shit where there is no substance. It should be illegal.

Wrist locks are not entirely bullshit you know. In MMA people wrapped their hand, which make it incredible hard to get a wrist lock. Beside, its applications in grappling are more in line of using it like a kimura or an americana, rather than aikido's standing-let-me-grab-you-and-roll-you-over type of shit

I roll my eyes at pain compliance moves. They work against the weak.

Someone tried to tell me you could noogie the back of the hand to get it to open. I bear hugged em. They couldn't get my hand open. Pain is nothing. You gotta be prepared to break that arm if your doing a wrist/arm control move irl.

So much is bullshit, like all the wrist locks, there's a reason you don't see in mma. Knife disarms too, so much is just giving confidence about shit where there is no substance. It should be illegal.

Wrist locks are very effective in BJJ, there is a whole art of fucking up someone's wrist when going for or breaking grips. They are mostly banned because they snap easily.

Wrist locks are not entirely bullshit you know. In MMA people wrapped their hand, which make it incredible hard to get a wrist lock. Beside, its applications in grappling are more in line of using it like a kimura or an americana, rather than aikido's standing-let-me-grab-you-and-roll-you-over type of shit

Good point.

Yeah, I meant standing entering into wrist locks. I've used em to tap people in judo and JJ but only after isolating the limb on the ground.

Good point.

Yeah, I meant standing entering into wrist locks. I've used em to tap people in judo and JJ but only after isolating the limb on the ground.

I think the classic straight armlock/wrist lock would be pretty effective against an untrained opponent, I think. It's been around for a very long time, and can be used to transition to a more secure control position if you don't want to or can't break the person's arm or wrist.

Fiore1490armlock.jpg

All of those blocking techniques are BS. They don't even use them in TKD tournaments.

I used to go to a Hapkido school that had us spent more time doing backflips than kicks.

I think the classic straight armlock/wrist lock would be pretty effective against an untrained opponent, I think. It's been around for a very long time, and can be used to transition to a more secure control position if you don't want to or can't break the person's arm or wrist.

Fiore1490armlock.jpg

It's useful, I've worked on the door for years and I've arm locked people outta places BUT, the wrist lock part of it is so fiddly as to be nearly useless except on an unsuspecting, unresisting and untrained opponent. I haven't yet seen a wristlock on a resisting opponent IRL.

Fiore1490armlock.jpg
Pretty sure this elbow/wrist lock helped Johny get off the cage with GSP. GSP totally wasnt expecting it. I think Johny grabbed his whole forearm and locked it to his chest though, not just the wrist.

Pretty sure this elbow/wrist lock helped Johny get off the cage with GSP. GSP totally wasnt expecting it. I think Johny grabbed his whole forearm and locked it to his chest though, not just the wrist.

That was a little different. That was a cool little kimura counter/reversal.

url]

Professional bodyguards, the military, and bouncers are the folks you'd want to talk to about this.

Pain is the "salt" not the meal. They can help other techniques work better, but they aren't techniques on their own.

Back