Unpopular opinion: the ufc is right is throwing fighters to the wolves

Give me one example?
Back when they were rebuilding the company and created TUF, those TUF guys used to fight half a dozen cans each before they'd fight anyone close to top 10. Forrest Griffin fighting Bill Mahood and Elvis Sinosic....Diego Sanchez, early in his UFC career, Bisping...all of these guys eventually fought the best of the best, but the UFC really built these guys up so that they'd become superstars and get comfortable in the UFC cage. Chris Leben in his early UFC days. 5-6 fights doesn't seem like all that much but, at that point in time, there wasn't a UFC event every weekend, so these guys went "undefeated" or "without a UFC loss" for years.

It worked, so I'm not questioning whether that practice paid dividends on the long run. But the reality is, it was quite frustrating to watch them line up favourable matchup after favourable matchup just to achieve something that was so goddamn obvious...meanwhile other guys were thrown to the wolves, as you say.

I also agree with Conor being protected once they realized that he'd draw huge numbers. The Siver matchup was a joke, and quite honestly, this Cerrone match doesn't make all that much sense either, although it's nowhere near as bad a mismatch.

Obviously, saying the UFC "protects" fighters may seem a bit silly in the MMA world, where basically anything can supposedly happen...but to give a guy half a dozen consecutive matchups where he's a major fav and where the odds are not even close, unless that fighter is one of the absolute GOATs, is not logical ranking-wise and is "convenient" matchmaking for sure.

Greg Hardy.
Wow that's a good one. Made me hate the poor guy, but I have to say, for him to step up against Volkov on short notice, it takes some serious balls and makes me appreciate the guy. And he looked pretty good despite the fact that he lost...almost to a point where I wondered if he would have won had he not broken his hand.

Which LHW are they protecting these days?
He gets Jones next, right?
That’s some fine protection.

Fighting wolves is your job in the UFC so I agree. Unless you're young and green, fight whoever is in front of you or make room for someone who can.

Ruining ppls careers and lives is great! It's s lose/lose. Established fighters beats " a can" and the other fighter takes a brutal beating or gets injured or never recovers mentally. We've seen it a bunch of times in all combat sports. That's why managers are important. It's well established that fighters need to be built up properly if they want a long and successful career and to improve their skills

Just tell us yer fuckin opinion mate, we'll decide if it's controversial.

He defeated dustin porier before this and like it or not he fought chad mendes before aldo even if this was not the original plan, i dont even like the guy but to say he was protected is a lie

Edgar would have ruined him n was higher ranked.
Mendes was a fat ass on the couch n gassed hard. Mendes was wiping Conor until he literally couldn't move n stood in front of him.

They can protect any fighter they want but sooner or later that fighter will have to fight the top 5s of the UFC (if said protected fighter gets to the belt)
Happened to Conor, Ronda and every fighter you can think of...

From who? Cyborg that was in a different weight class and org? I don’t like Ronda but the fact is wmma was shit then, it’s still shit and she finally faced the right people to beat her.
The UFC was cherry picking from Invicta whenever they pleased, they could have brought her anytime. And you can't cry divisions cause she publicly offered to fight Gina at 145...

Popular Opinion - ts's tread title is all sorts of WTF is he trying to say.

That's too easy and you know it.

Sage Northcutt
Page Vanzant
Holly Holm
Chuck Liddell

PVZ wasn't protected, she's fought Rose, Waterson and Felice who are all currently ranked.

Back