Unpopular Opinion: The new version of Gaethje is bad against Khabib.

JustAkidFrom209

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So Justin comes to the UFC and fights like an absolute madman for the first 3 fights and loses 2 of those brutally.

He then changes up his style and fights more patiently and intelligently which has caused him to win impressively in his recent showings.

I personally think Gaethje needs to go back to his roots and fight crazy as that is something that Khabib has absolutely never faced. Dustin was patient, Conor was patient, Al was patient and if Justin fights like that he will probably lose.

He's already said he wants to create a wall of death and clash fists, elbows and heads with Khabib. I think Gaethje's gonna be the aggressor in this one.

So Justin comes to the UFC and fights like an absolute madman for the first 3 fights and loses 2 of those brutally.

He then changes up his style and fights more patiently and intelligently which has caused him to win impressively in his recent showings.

I personally think Gaethje needs to go back to his roots and fight crazy as that is something that Khabib has absolutely never faced. Dustin was patient, Conor was patient, Al was patient and if Justin fights like that he will probably lose.
Fighting "crazy" walks him into being clinched and taken down. The trick is to create angles of attack, and use feints to control distance.

As long as there is cage to exploit and rules that allow leghump then I dont see how Gaethje can do anything to make fighting happen let alone get his hand raised.

Yeah, you want to rush right into the phone booth with a guy like Khabib. :rolleyes:

It was the footwork and understanding of distance Justin demonstrated against Tony that might win him the fight against Khabib.

Dustin was patient until he landed that Right hand in the second round and went ape shit. I could be wrong but I still feel like people don't understand just how GOOD Khabib's striking defense is, it's this combination of awkward movements, and sound defensive fundamentals that make it VERY hard to hit him when he's on the back foot. Head Movement, and all around, he's very defensively responsible when it comes to evading strikes that I don't think he gets enough credit.

He's not gonna be like Tony walking into or turning into Hooks. Gaethje IS going to have to pick his Shots.

I could see Khabib taking a flush flying knee with his style. It’s low percentage but could end him.

Like most, I think Gaethje's best chance is to hurt Khabib early, make him tentative, and keep it a boxing match—like Iaquinta was able to do.

I agree with Justin in the fact Khabib clearly doesn't like to get hit, literally almost panicking when he does, scurrying around the ring, trying to regroup himself. (Justin is, by far, the tougher man in a fistfight, and he knows this.)

I think if Justin remains a patient counterpuncher, stops Khabib in his tracks a couple of times with hard shots, Khabib may hesitate going in.

A slower pace favors Justin's chances of keeping the fight standing.

For that reason, my opinion is the opposite of yours. I think a wild- crazy slugfest gives Khabib a much better opportunity to clinch, and therefore a much better opportunity to get things to the ground.

Justin has been held down for a long time in the past, so if Khabib is able to get him down, and keep him down, there's no way Justin can win this fight. The fact of the matter is, Khabib normally keeps a "crazy pace," much more so than Justin does. That is Khabib's best environment, quite frankly.

IMO, the only way Justin wins is that this is a slow-paced fight that is kept standing and fought on the feet.

Justin doesn't have the tools, or the stamina, for a fast-paced/clinching cage fight or ground fight.

"like Iaquinta was able to do" he says. 50-43 watch again

Meaning, "keeping the fight standing" = Justin's best chance of winning.

Khabib has underrated boxing skills, and he is quicker than Justin, so it's possible Khabib will outbox Justin also, but far less probable.

In no universe is there a possibility for Justin beating Khabib on the ground; again, Justin's "best chances" for winning are to keep the fight standing.

As with Iaquinta, "keeping the fight standing" does not guarantee victory, but it does increase Justin's slim odds of winning...

Fighting crazy could result in Beebs getting knocked out. It also makes takedowns easy.

Justin needs to kick his calf 5-7 times in that first round and you’ll see a different fight

New gaethje has never been patient, he is just a little bit more selective in his shots and avoids 24/7 brawling in the cage.

He needs controlled aggression. He's very well coached and will have a good gameplan. He can still be a madman just in the right moments. Many fighters have managed to get uo from under khabib, stuff takedowns and get extended periods striking. What he does with that time will decide the fight.

Its actually easiest to take down an aggressive opponent

Unpopular opinion (apparently)

the new version of Gaethje isn't even that different. He just centered his frame a bit and doesn't front foot as much. Still throws the same strikes with the same style, just hangs back and counters a bit more.

The Poirier fight isn't that different than the Ferguson fight.

Khabib will take Gaethje down in the first minute and choke him out. Good news is Khabib has no chance against GSP.

Nah, he just needs to land legkicks, if he abandon them because of the TD threat then he has no chance of beating Khabib.

Back