Unpopular opinion: Paulo Costa is overrated

I don't think that's unpopular. What I don't get is the people that say not only is he overrated, but he sucks. His performances have been really good, so I don't think you can make the leap to saying he doesn't deserve to be in the position he's in. Being over/under rated is pretty subjective anyway, but the fact is he keeps winning and his skills have looked good doing it.

If you think Paulo lacks technic you have no clue about what you are watching.

He has a more classic flat footed muay thai style, pick his shots, great active guard and defense, keep his hands up while throwing and knows how to cut corners in the cage.

His physical atributes plays right in to his style, just like adesanya lankyness and speed plays in to his.

He is no flashy kickboxer nor have aesthetic footwork, but for you to say he compensates his lack of technic, you have to be clueless about muay thai.
I'd be curious to hear you and Wonderboy debate this.

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...triker-at-all-adesanya-will-have-a-field-day/

I don't think that's unpopular. What I don't get is the people that say not only is he overrated, but he sucks. His performances have been really good, so I don't think you can make the leap to saying he doesn't deserve to be in the position he's in. Being over/under rated is pretty subjective anyway, but the fact is he keeps winning and his skills have looked good doing it.
Yes. Sherdoggers (to generalize here) aren't very subtle. The water is either ice cold or boiling hot.

Yeah, that would be great. Wonderboy is a karateka/kickboxer. I've been training muay thai since my teens (altough I train bjj most of the time these days, feel in love with that and It's easier on the body).

Im not saying he has the sharpest technic, but he is far from a brawler and have a underrated defese. I was impressed with him in the romero fight, great defese and shot selection.

People make it seem like he is a wild puncher that relies on only strenght.

It's not an unpopular opinion. It's an opinion that you're trolling in hopes of getting responses.
lmfao you guys are all over costa's nuts. it is a very unpopular opinion.

if people accuse you of trolling just for saying someone is overrated, then your opinion is unpopular.

I believe he is, but if he does do good even if he doesnt win, then Ill take it back. But I just see him wilting.

He’s not even close to the best fighter Izzy has ever faced. He lost to Romero. And his power is over rated. But the ufc is going to push the agenda to sell the card. That’s part of the game.
I mean, think about it. They gave Romero the shot after he “lost” to costa when Costa was out. They obviously took Romero more seriously and now that it’s over they’re gonna capitalize on the hype.

i remember you bitches saying woodley is the best welterweight of all times better than gsp, you dont know shit and jump on the next hot thing like morons
Anyone saying that sincerely was and remains a fucking idiot. I'd imagine most were trolling and trying to piss off GSP fans though.

It was impressive as hell. And it brought his total # of big wins to 2.

His next 3 biggest wins are a combined 3-14 in the last few years.

It's MMA. It's diverse. It's expansive. There's a lot of ways to win and a lot of ways to lose. 2 big wins = unproven.
Outta interest who do you consider his other big win to be? Hall? The final vestiges of a stuffed to the gills on venison Hendricks?

If you think Paulo lacks technic you have no clue about what you are watching.

He has a more classic flat footed muay thai style, pick his shots, great active guard and defense, keep his hands up while throwing and knows how to cut corners in the cage.

His physical atributes plays right in to his style, just like adesanya lankyness and speed plays in to his.

He is no flashy kickboxer nor have aesthetic footwork, but for you to say he compensates his lack of technic, you have to be clueless about muay thai.
Dunno about great defense, didn't Hall drop him with a jab? And I distinctly remember Romero landing plenty especially later in the fight.

I’m not going to dive into a deep technical analysis, I’m going straight to the point, I think he is overrated on this forum.

I get it, he is a physical specimen, Sherdoggers seem to fap over his aesthetics on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, aesthetics don’t win fights. Last time I checked, Sexyama wasn’t undefeated.

In Paulo, I see an overblown fighter, who compensates his lack of technique and fight IQ with his athletic prowess.

I had him losing against Romero. He was visibly gassed half way through the second round.

My prediction, 2 rounds of Paulo charging like a bull and Adesanya moving out of the way. 3 rounds of Paulo gasping for air and eating jabs.
You were correct

The middleweight division as a whole is. Not a single decent wrestler among them.

Back