1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Unpopular opinion: Last round should give a higher score

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Moral Victory, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Moral Victory Black Belt

Now, didn't think this through completely, but I'm thinking it would:

1. Give incentive to the losing fighter to go for it more, especially in low finish rate divisions. The leading fighter might coast otherwise too.

2. If you're winning the last round, you're basically winning, so why not... Get a win?

3. Give more opportunities for high cardio fighters who train to get in shape.

4. Ultimate fighting was always about being as close to a real fight as possible, so if you've wasted all your energy and not been able to get ahead towards the end, then you might as well has lost anyway without rounds. (I'm a fan of the 1 round concept).

Rdude92 likes this.
  2. Orochimaru 大蛇丸 Silver Belt Platinum Member

Take out the rounds and score the fight as a whole if you want it changed

If you score the last round more everyone will fight like Nate Diaz and conserve their energy the first 3 rounds

Kraken, Kwic, Ardelia13 and 4 others like this.
  3. Joshuaace Geezer Belt

If you win the last round decisively they just go back and give you a previous round on the score cards. You see the Barber fight?

qw3rty and SovereignPhantom like this.
  4. Kryptt Dead Belt Platinum Member

Last round oft weighs more (invisibly) than the 1st two already.

Qays Stetkevich likes this.
  5. Moral Victory Black Belt

True, but I think finishers will alwasy try to finish regardless.

6. Orochimaru 大蛇丸 Silver Belt Platinum Member

Some will, some won’t, don’t like the idea of guys having to conserve themselves more than they already have to because they know the last 5 min means more than the first 15

7. MartiniSIDe Purple Belt

Each minute, there should be a gold 10 seconds where everything is worth more and they should throw a golden nugget that fighter can grab during the fight giving +1 at the end of the fight.

MrKontakos, qw3rty, Kraken and 6 others like this.
  8. Kaiokenrye24 Brown Belt

Than shouldn't the first round be weighed more heavily because thats when the fighter's are at their best

9. Deathbycalfkick Blue Belt

Pride rules were the best

10. Ares Black Asteroid Belt

No offense, but that's a terrible idea. That would lead to people playing it safe the first two rounds.

Al-Musoroah and qw3rty like this.
  11. Qays Stetkevich Brown Belt

I've thought about this for years, and a good compromise would just be to have Pride-esque rules: sure, judge the rounds on a 10-point-must system, but if someone is BEATING ASS at the end of the 3rd/5th, just slip it to a 10-8. I think that's generally agreeable, and wouldn't even change things up that much, but it *would* give some real warriors their due.

P.S. And for everyone saying "that would just encourage point-fighters to wait for the end of the fight to turn it on"....sure, let them. That's a hell of a gamble, and if it pays off, it's exciting for the fans anyway.

12. Rdude92 Brown Belt

You will see much more wrestlers that dry hump and stall if that happens. They'll stall first 2 rounds, tire their opponents, last round they'll stall more. Wait...that's already happening..Usman cough cough

13. Kingofthestreets king of the streets

Disagree, it has always been a ten point must scoring system.
    I guess there could be something like special rules in a tournament or something with extension rounds, let's say you must beat your opponent by finish or be up by two rounds.
    That way in a 48-47 fight there would be a three minute extension rounds after the fifth until one fighter has 2 points over the other.

14. Ardelia13 Orange Belt

This really is the correct answer.

15. Swepingright Banned Banned

If it's dominant it should. But it's hard to implement such a rule.

16. Snoowpy Blue Belt

I'm more of the damage above all criteria. For example: the fight with Cory and TJ (while it was a great fight) on the streets would have the whole neighbourhood telling TJ he got fucked up. Control matters, certainly in a sport sense. But Control in Wrestling and BJJ should result in damage or submission attempts. Otherwise the control is worthless.

What if a guy holds you down for 4 rounds and you beat the absolute shit out of him in the last round. While this is rare, because control most of the time stops the other guy from doing damage. The one with more damage lost the fight in my opinion. It becomes rather abstract to argue about this point when the level of control is so great you just can not amount any offence at all. However it should be Damage (Volume/kind of strike/perceived power/physical damage) -> Submission top -> Control -> Submission Bot -> Center of Ring control

The Cage, Rounds and ruleset favor wrestlers a lot. But it's the most dominant style as an equalizer at least. Getting out struck, take down hold. Getting out grappled? Stand up and mediocre striking.

17. Kwic Red Belt

Yeah, I don't like that we have this sport element in the UFC where everything about UFC's MMA screams: not a legit sport, see rankings, circus etc.

18. Tito Tapped Peanut the Kidnapper

Imagine any other sport that's not MMA.....now imagine that the goals/points are worth triple the amount in the last 5 minutes of the game! Did your sport just get better, or did you devalue everything that happened before because it's only worth a fraction now? Are you more excited as a fan that your lead is no longer safe and the entire game is decided at the end anyways?

19. moreorless87 Straba

The last round as a tie breaker in the event of a draw I can see being a decent idea, that is if scores are equal the winner of the last round wins the fight.

Moral Victory likes this.
  20. Mr Fahrenheit Brown Belt

Sounds like the away goals rule in soccer — I can see why they came up with it, but it doesn’t feel right.

Sometimes it takes 3 or 5 rounds for the more skilled or tougher fighter to emerge. But other times someone just got tired beating the shit out of the other guy. Imagine if Khabib-Conor was a three rounder for example.

I also don’t want these fights to become about who has the better gas tank. I care about the fighting skills far more.