Unpopular opinion: Last round should give a higher score

Moral Victory

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Now, didn't think this through completely, but I'm thinking it would:

1. Give incentive to the losing fighter to go for it more, especially in low finish rate divisions. The leading fighter might coast otherwise too.

2. If you're winning the last round, you're basically winning, so why not... Get a win?

3. Give more opportunities for high cardio fighters who train to get in shape.

4. Ultimate fighting was always about being as close to a real fight as possible, so if you've wasted all your energy and not been able to get ahead towards the end, then you might as well has lost anyway without rounds. (I'm a fan of the 1 round concept).

If you win the last round decisively they just go back and give you a previous round on the score cards. You see the Barber fight?

Last round oft weighs more (invisibly) than the 1st two already.

True, but I think finishers will alwasy try to finish regardless.
Some will, some won’t, don’t like the idea of guys having to conserve themselves more than they already have to because they know the last 5 min means more than the first 15

1. Give incentive to the losing fighter to go for it more, especially in low finish rate divisions. The leading fighter might coast otherwise too.

2. If you're winning the last round, you're basically winning, so why not... Get a win?

4. Ultimate fighting was always about being as close to a real fight as possible, so if you've wasted all your energy and not been able to get ahead towards the end, then you might as well has lost anyway without rounds. (I'm a fan of the 1 round concept).
Than shouldn't the first round be weighed more heavily because thats when the fighter's are at their best

I've thought about this for years, and a good compromise would just be to have Pride-esque rules: sure, judge the rounds on a 10-point-must system, but if someone is BEATING ASS at the end of the 3rd/5th, just slip it to a 10-8. I think that's generally agreeable, and wouldn't even change things up that much, but it *would* give some real warriors their due.

P.S. And for everyone saying "that would just encourage point-fighters to wait for the end of the fight to turn it on"....sure, let them. That's a hell of a gamble, and if it pays off, it's exciting for the fans anyway.

You will see much more wrestlers that dry hump and stall if that happens. They'll stall first 2 rounds, tire their opponents, last round they'll stall more. Wait...that's already happening..Usman cough cough

Disagree, it has always been a ten point must scoring system.
I guess there could be something like special rules in a tournament or something with extension rounds, let's say you must beat your opponent by finish or be up by two rounds.
That way in a 48-47 fight there would be a three minute extension rounds after the fifth until one fighter has 2 points over the other.

If it's dominant it should. But it's hard to implement such a rule.

I'm more of the damage above all criteria. For example: the fight with Cory and TJ (while it was a great fight) on the streets would have the whole neighbourhood telling TJ he got fucked up. Control matters, certainly in a sport sense. But Control in Wrestling and BJJ should result in damage or submission attempts. Otherwise the control is worthless.

What if a guy holds you down for 4 rounds and you beat the absolute shit out of him in the last round. While this is rare, because control most of the time stops the other guy from doing damage. The one with more damage lost the fight in my opinion. It becomes rather abstract to argue about this point when the level of control is so great you just can not amount any offence at all. However it should be Damage (Volume/kind of strike/perceived power/physical damage) -> Submission top -> Control -> Submission Bot -> Center of Ring control

The Cage, Rounds and ruleset favor wrestlers a lot. But it's the most dominant style as an equalizer at least. Getting out struck, take down hold. Getting out grappled? Stand up and mediocre striking.

I'm more of the damage above all criteria. For example: the fight with Cory and TJ (while it was a great fight) on the streets would have the whole neighbourhood telling TJ he got fucked up. Control matters, certainly in a sport sense. But Control in Wrestling and BJJ should result in damage or submission attempts. Otherwise the control is worthless.

What if a guy holds you down for 4 rounds and you beat the absolute shit out of him in the last round. While this is rare, because control most of the time stops the other guy from doing damage. The one with more damage lost the fight in my opinion. It becomes rather abstract to argue about this point when the level of control is so great you just can not amount any offence at all. However it should be Damage (Volume/kind of strike/perceived power/physical damage) -> Submission top -> Control -> Submission Bot -> Center of Ring control

The Cage, Rounds and ruleset favor wrestlers a lot. But it's the most dominant style as an equalizer at least. Getting out struck, take down hold. Getting out grappled? Stand up and mediocre striking.
Yeah, I don't like that we have this sport element in the UFC where everything about UFC's MMA screams: not a legit sport, see rankings, circus etc.

Imagine any other sport that's not MMA.....now imagine that the goals/points are worth triple the amount in the last 5 minutes of the game! Did your sport just get better, or did you devalue everything that happened before because it's only worth a fraction now? Are you more excited as a fan that your lead is no longer safe and the entire game is decided at the end anyways?

The last round as a tie breaker in the event of a draw I can see being a decent idea, that is if scores are equal the winner of the last round wins the fight.

Sounds like the away goals rule in soccer — I can see why they came up with it, but it doesn’t feel right.

Sometimes it takes 3 or 5 rounds for the more skilled or tougher fighter to emerge. But other times someone just got tired beating the shit out of the other guy. Imagine if Khabib-Conor was a three rounder for example.

I also don’t want these fights to become about who has the better gas tank. I care about the fighting skills far more.

Back