Media Unpopular opinion: Johny Hendricks didn't have amazing power

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was only 70% power when he was already only at 70%, so that's like ... 13% or something.

a6c1cb2a2b93d5fc93ef7a2f37d7a1cf9ea7fe45.gifv

I think you are confusing Condit and Hendricks ageing with other fighters "Evolving". As far as being skilled there aren't any WWs who have Evolved beyond GSP, they are just younger. Fighters evolved to surpass Royce Gracie since he was the only one who knew BJJ. Most every fighter knows BJJ or they don't last.

Do you really think Colby Covington is evolved beyond Jon Fitch? Prime vs Prime my money is on Fitch. Jorge Masvidal is more evolved than Thiago Alves? or Dan Hardy?
Don't forget how Usman evolved so much that he started using a jab.
AcidicUntriedAnemone-size_restricted.gif
Something so innovative that it was never seem in MMA before?
View attachment 887203
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

There's no way in hell Fitch beats Colby. I think Fitch is criminally underrated and Colby is * ********* ** ******** but come on there's no way this is a competitive fight.

Decline in 30s typically means evolution not aging we can't use the traditional sports aging scale for MMA. I used to do it we're far along in the sports history were we know it's not the same.

Haz anyone pointed out that Big Rig'z punching power went down at exactly the same time as USADA was brought in?

He's on record saying that the IV ban itself fooked him up tremendously... so the theory is also backed by his own words.

there's A LOT OF FIGHTERS THAT WENT FROM HEROEZ TO ZEROEZ... after July 2015, but random testing didn't begin until later (not sure exactly when) but the fighters were given a bit of a "rehersal" in mid 2015 before the real bitch in teh hen house came out swinging for real.

It's also the time the division improved dramatically. Condit declined at the same time and a lot of fighters who were successful in the early 2010s also declined around this time as both the Strikeforce talent and the next generation of UFC talent emerged.

Correlation isn't causation.

In the gifs below all of the people he's putting out with one punch are in an extremely vulnerable position, he makes them move back, get them off balance, and when he hits them there is nowhere for the energy from the punch to travel, so of course it shakes their brain badly, but I think any pillow fisted WW would be able to do that, given these variables (Hendricks is not pillowfisted though, just nothing special).

Worst armchair sherbro analysis I've seen all week. You do realize that most KO's of good fighters involve hitting them in a position they end up being the most vulnerable? A fighter is most vulnerable when they're squared up and on the center line. If you wanna see an actual example of a fighter getting caught with a punch while being vulnerable, see the Chandler punch that put down Hooker; completely squared up & didn't even have his feet under him.

The reason Hendricks couldn't ko ppl consistently is cause guys like GSP, Condit & Lawler are very difficult to actually finish by strikes. GSP has only been tko'd once, Lawler has only lost by tko 3 times & Condit's only tko loss is a leg injury.

Do you really think Colby Covington is evolved beyond Jon Fitch? Prime vs Prime my money is on Fitch. Jorge Masvidal is more evolved than Thiago Alves? or Dan Hardy?
Don't forget how Usman evolved so much that he started using a jab.

Is that a joke? Colby runs through Fitch in a very one sided mismatch. Judging by how both of them performed against Maia, Fitch can't stop Colby's takedowns. And as bad as Colby's striking is, Fitch makes him look like Ernesto Hoost in comparison. Not a coincidence that Fitch lost to the 3 best fighters he faced in his UFC tenure and not a single one was competitive.

Masvidal's performances against guys like Till, Cowboy & Maia suggest that he's a much better fighter than Dan Hardy. The only reason I'd say Alves (GSP's 4th - 5th best win) is better than Masvidal is cause Alves has almost 15 lbs on him. Oh yes, the one dimensional kickboxer whose 6-4 (best win is Swick LOL) in the UFC and somehow managed to lose a kickboxing match vs Chris Lytle of all people is clearly as good as Masvidal <Lmaoo>

And no, Usman didn't evolve because "he started using the jab". Usman's jab has been there since Hooft taught him that. His improvements come from his timing on his jab to consistently land leading him to use it more. Do yourself a favor and compare Usman vs Colby & Hughes vs Koscheck. Both fights are available on the UFC youtube channel. If you can't recognize how much better strikers Colby & Usman are compared to the 2011 relics, then you're beyond any help of understanding basic MMA.

The game evolved and you're not remotely smart enough to recognize it. ;)

There's no way in hell Fitch beats Colby. I think Fitch is criminally underrated and Colby is * ********* ** ******** but come on there's no way this is a competitive fight.

Decline in 30s typically means evolution not aging we can't use the traditional sports aging scale for MMA. I used to do it we're far along in the sports history were we know it's not the same.
Not sure who Colby has beaten to make you think he is so far and away above Fitch? All Colby has is cardio and spamming TDs. Prime Fitch could out wrestle Colby taking away his only advantage. When that last happened Usman broke his face.

No idea what you mean by decline in your 30's (especially late 30's) is evolution and not ageing? Yes Randy Couture did well in his late 30's & 40's but so did Nolan Ryan in MLB, exception and not the rule. I think it is pretty widely accepted that athletic prime physically (assuming no PEDs) is late 20's to early 30's (27-32). That's when experience and physical abilities meet. After 35 physical decline is imminent.

Worst armchair sherbro analysis I've seen all week. You do realize that most KO's of good fighters involve hitting them in a position they end up being the most vulnerable? A fighter is most vulnerable when they're squared up and on the center line. If you wanna see an actual example of a fighter getting caught with a punch while being vulnerable, see the Chandler punch that put down Hooker; completely squared up & didn't even have his feet under him.

The reason Hendricks couldn't ko ppl consistently is cause guys like GSP, Condit & Lawler are very difficult to actually finish by strikes. GSP has only been tko'd once, Lawler has only lost by tko 3 times & Condit's only tko loss is a leg injury.

Is that a joke? Colby runs through Fitch in a very one sided mismatch. Judging by how both of them performed against Maia, Fitch can't stop Colby's takedowns. And as bad as Colby's striking is, Fitch makes him look like Ernesto Hoost in comparison. Not a coincidence that Fitch lost to the 3 best fighters he faced in his UFC tenure and not a single one was competitive.

Masvidal's performances against guys like Till, Cowboy & Maia suggest that he's a much better fighter than Dan Hardy. The only reason I'd say Alves (GSP's 4th - 5th best win) is better than Masvidal is cause Alves has almost 15 lbs on him. Oh yes, the one dimensional kickboxer whose 6-4 (best win is Swick LOL) in the UFC and somehow managed to lose a kickboxing match vs Chris Lytle of all people is clearly as good as Masvidal <Lmaoo>

And no, Usman didn't evolve because "he started using the jab". Usman's jab has been there since Hooft taught him that. His improvements come from his timing on his jab to consistently land leading him to use it more. Do yourself a favor and compare Usman vs Colby & Hughes vs Koscheck. Both fights are available on the UFC youtube channel. If you can't recognize how much better strikers Colby & Usman are compared to the 2011 relics, then you're beyond any help of understanding basic MMA.

The game evolved and you're not remotely smart enough to recognize it. ;)
How about you fnck off? Feel free to tattle to the Mods if you like but I am not interested in your insults. If you want to discuss MMA do it without the insults and attitude. BTW Chris Lytle was 13-1-1 in boxing and 3-0 in BKFC. You talk like he had no striking? Joined in 2021 and tattles to the Mods when put in your place with a little foul language. I would guess you used to get your ass kicked in high school for being like you are but more likely you are in high school and its happening right now.

Based on what evidence? He was dropped twice in 28 professional fights.
I don't think GSP had a bad chin at all, I just think "having an amazing chin" is not really what he's known for.

Reason being that he didn't get hit a lot. He kept his opponents at range with his jab and took them down and got on top. The head kick from Condit was an example of having a good chin but there weren't very many moments like that in GSP's career.

He could close gaps incredibly well considering how stubby he was. So yeah, that footwork was the reason he caught guys in less than ideal positions.

His power was legit

Also gsp didn't have a bad chin just really bad reactions to getting it. Never got comfortable with it

It was always talked about Hendricks amazing power, how he would KO people with just one punch, seemingly just touching them and they'd be out, but I think there's a misconception here.

In the gifs below all of the people he's putting out with one punch are in an extremely vulnerable position, he makes them move back, get them off balance, and when he hits them there is nowhere for the energy from the punch to travel, so of course it shakes their brain badly, but I think any pillow fisted WW would be able to do that, given these variables (Hendricks is not pillowfisted though, just nothing special).

Leaning back, feet are well in front of his head, Fitch was 80% of the reason for this being a KO.
tumblr_my2q5mrGlB1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Same here with Kampmann.
tumblr_mdpn6l6BwC1qzwhb0o1_400.gif

Standing on one leg in the middle of wild swing, possible the worst base imaginabe. (Help me out, I don't know who this is)
tumblr_mxnezmJKpB1qedt5eo1_400.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now if we compare to other situations:

GSP not in a particularly good position either, and not know for a godly chin survived an extended mauling by Hendricks through out the fight.
gsp%2Bclinch%2Bgif.gif

Koscheck.
tumblr_m3pyy81XsK1qlskhvo1_500.gifv

Lawler hit clean twice, a good chin historically but remember what Woodley did to both Koscheck and Lawler (although Lawler fought Woodley a bit later, and the then situation was similar to the first 2 gifs of Hendricks)
EO4J.gif

I feel the Condit fight changed him. Even though he won it was the most he’d been hit and he was fatiguing from the last 2mins of the second rd.

Most athletes have power if they throw their whole body into shots but I think he learnt after that that being fatigued in a fight isn’t something he was fond of.

After that he started through combos rather than balls to the wall haymakers.

Not sure who Colby has beaten to make you think he is so far and away above Fitch? All Colby has is cardio and spamming TDs. Prime Fitch could out wrestle Colby taking away his only advantage. When that last happened Usman broke his face.

No idea what you mean by decline in your 30's (especially late 30's) is evolution and not ageing? Yes Randy Couture did well in his late 30's & 40's but so did Nolan Ryan in MLB, exception and not the rule. I think it is pretty widely accepted that athletic prime physically (assuming no PEDs) is late 20's to early 30's (27-32). That's when experience and physical abilities meet. After 35 physical decline is imminent.

In the 2000s Couture was an isolated incident. By this point we know it's not a big deal for someone to remain relevant into their 40s in MMA. Being in ones mid 30s is not an aging thing. Injuries are a big exception to this but that's not aging per say. While this sport might be the most brutal it still usually requires around half an hour of combat a year whereas a big part of aging in the team sports is the weekly and daily grinds. For example Basketball players run up and down the court for 82 regular season games a UFC fighters "season" is probably going to be less than a game, possibly less than a half. With that setup skills are going to matter more and your physical deterioration is going to matter less.

This is a scale I've posted several times.

25-30 Prospect
30-35 Prime
35-40 Aging
40-45 Old
45-50 Retirement

"Just" cardio and spamming TD's? This is wrestleweight and being able to spam takedowns on experienced grapplers is impressive. Fitch just spammed takedowns? Cardio is the main reason Marty has entered the GOAT conversation it's a pretty important thing to have.

Last edited:
It's normal and I agree. They always talked about the "POWER" of grey Maynard but yet he's has only 2 legit kos in his career and one was himself.
Maynard hits visibly hard. Had Frankie wobbling all over the place. He’s just bad on the feet and lacks killer instinct, is all.

Someone didn't have amazing power, here let me show you *inserts gifs of fighter scoring cartoonish KOs knocking guys clear across the cage*

Brilliant thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back