Media Unpopular opinion: Johny Hendricks didn't have amazing power

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy has amazing power..

He's an absolute monster of an athlete in the most conclusive combat sport and he's known for generating power..

Even if someone like melvin manhoef is even more powerful it doesn't take away from other guys..

Hendricks was a wildly inconsistent fighter in general with tons of holes in his game, and there were plenty of times his power didn't take him far enough. That doesn't matter though. A lot of people simply exaggerate/misremember his career as a way to support some narrative they're pushing, usually an attempt to give credence to USADA claims or to pump up/tear down GSP because of the decision in their fight.

Hendricks struggled against every wrestler that he fought except for Fitch. Even a nearly shot version of Koscheck almost beat him.

The people who insist that he'd clean up in this era of the WW division are clowns. He'd lose to Colby and Usman based on cardio alone.

He had amazing power for a WW division that was dominated by grapplers. Once that division became more well rounded he was screwed. While Askren was the most extreme example of a one dimensional grappler that was the norm at 170.

Him and Condit were the best strikers before the Strikeforce talent came over and they got exposed badly after. People who think GSP would have kept his title are delusional as even Hendricks and Condit gave him problems. GSP's thing was stopping grapplers from doing their thing.
What StrikeForce WWs came along? There was Nick Diaz, Tyron, Nate Marquardt (Who was already in the UFC previous to SF) Tarec Saffedine & Jake Shields and Robbie Lawler.. GSP beat Nick & Jake handily. WW & MW Strikeforce champions. How is this an example of SF WWs being the next evolution? Robbie 39, Tyron 39, Marquardt 42. All close to GSP's age.

Condit was exposed by SF WWs? He only ever fought Woodley & Lawler (was in the UFC before SF) that were in SF. Woodley won via freak injury. Robbie won in a FOTY.

The only SF fighter Hendricks fought was Lawler. They were 1-1 in two FOTY level fights.

Your claim of SF WWs exposing Condit and Hendricks is laughable.

Also GSP's thing wasn't stopping grapplers from doing their thing. It was neutralizing his opponents strengths, whatever they were and to dictate where the fight took place.

What StrikeForce WWs came along? There was Nick Diaz, Tyron, Nate Marquardt (Who was already in the UFC previous to SF) Tarec Saffedine & Jake Shields and Robbie Lawler.. GSP beat Nick & Jake handily. WW & MW Strikeforce champions. How is this an example of SF WWs being the next evolution? Robbie 39, Tyron 39, Marquardt 42. All close to GSP's age.

Condit was exposed by SF WWs? He only ever fought Woodley & Lawler (was in the UFC before SF) that were in SF. Woodley won via freak injury. Robbie won in a FOTY.

The only SF fighter Hendricks fought was Lawler. They were 1-1 in two FOTY level fights.

Your claim of SF WWs exposing Condit and Hendricks is laughable.

Also GSP's thing wasn't stopping grapplers from doing their thing. It was neutralizing his opponents strengths, whatever they were and to dictate where the fight took place.

Woodley??

Yeah GSP's strength was neutralizing his opponents strengths which was mostly the same thing. How'd neutralizing Hendricks strength go?

I'm talking more of the era Hendricks and Condit were a combined 7-13 after 2013. The division passed them by with the next 2 champs both coming over from Strikeforce in Lawler and Woodley. Sometimes a promotions best fighters aren't the champ just look at LHW right now were they got Jan and Glover fighting for the title.

It was always talked about Hendricks amazing power, how he would KO people with just one punch, seemingly just touching them and they'd be out, but I think there's a misconception here.

In the gifs below all of the people he's putting out with one punch are in an extremely vulnerable position, he makes them move back, get them off balance, and when he hits them there is nowhere for the energy from the punch to travel, so of course it shakes their brain badly, but I think any pillow fisted WW would be able to do that, given these variables (Hendricks is not pillowfisted though, just nothing special).

Leaning back, feet are well in front of his head, Fitch was 80% of the reason for this being a KO.
tumblr_my2q5mrGlB1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Same here with Kampmann.
tumblr_mdpn6l6BwC1qzwhb0o1_400.gif

Standing on one leg in the middle of wild swing, possible the worst base imaginabe. (Help me out, I don't know who this is)
tumblr_mxnezmJKpB1qedt5eo1_400.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now if we compare to other situations:

GSP not in a particularly good position either, and not know for a godly chin survived an extended mauling by Hendricks through out the fight.
gsp%2Bclinch%2Bgif.gif

Koscheck.
tumblr_m3pyy81XsK1qlskhvo1_500.gifv

Lawler hit clean twice, a good chin historically but remember what Woodley did to both Koscheck and Lawler (although Lawler fought Woodley a bit later, and the then situation was similar to the first 2 gifs of Hendricks)
EO4J.gif
He was explosive and powerful but maybe not the most.

Yup. Dude KO'd some wrasslers and Martin "wtf is striking defense" Kampmann and people were acting like he was Melvin Fucking Manhoef

Uhh lol isn't it harder to KO someone who's moving back?

A better argument is just maybe the guys he KO'd were shot or something, and he couldn't KO top competition.

Hendricks struggled against every wrestler that he fought except for Fitch. Even a nearly shot version of Koscheck almost beat him.

The people who insist that he'd clean up in this era of the WW division are clowns. He'd lose to Colby and Usman based on cardio alone.
He would have a legitimate chance of knocking either of them out. Though I agree that a more likely scenario would be them gassing him out.

He would definitely be a contender today even if he wouldn’t be champ.

Hendricks’ boxing was absolute garbage. He did generate good power though, back in the pre-USADA days.

He had amazing power for a WW division that was dominated by grapplers. Once that division became more well rounded he was screwed. While Askren was the most extreme example of a one dimensional grappler that was the norm at 170.

Him and Condit were the best strikers before the Strikeforce talent came over and they got exposed badly after. People who think GSP would have kept his title are delusional as even Hendricks and Condit gave him problems. GSP's thing was stopping grapplers from doing their thing.
  1. Hendricks was a NCAA DIV 1 champion
  2. GSP was the best striker at WW
  3. GSP would've turned away the Lawler-Woodley era too, had he still been inclined/prime to do so. Usman would've been when the problem came about and he'd have been long shot by then regardless if he had somehow stuck around

I've constantly said this. Johny has great power, but it's not super amazing. A lot of it is because of how his opponents were positioned. His skills are good, but Sherdog praises him like he is the GOAT WW. The guy barely beat Koscheck and Condit. His performance against Condit was meh. He arguably won against a GSP who had one foot out the door.

IMO Prime Tyron has more power than Johny, and would beat Prime Johny Hendricks. WB would always beat Hendricks, and I even think Nick Diaz could survive Johny's power and finish him similar to the Daley fight. Of course Johny could always wrestle Nick, but I think once fatigued Johny would possibly get subbed.

And I bet Johny's power fades significantly after the first round.

It was always talked about Hendricks amazing power, how he would KO people with just one punch, seemingly just touching them and they'd be out, but I think there's a misconception here.

In the gifs below all of the people he's putting out with one punch are in an extremely vulnerable position, he makes them move back, get them off balance, and when he hits them there is nowhere for the energy from the punch to travel, so of course it shakes their brain badly, but I think any pillow fisted WW would be able to do that, given these variables (Hendricks is not pillowfisted though, just nothing special).

Leaning back, feet are well in front of his head, Fitch was 80% of the reason for this being a KO.
tumblr_my2q5mrGlB1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Same here with Kampmann.
tumblr_mdpn6l6BwC1qzwhb0o1_400.gif

Standing on one leg in the middle of wild swing, possible the worst base imaginabe. (Help me out, I don't know who this is)
tumblr_mxnezmJKpB1qedt5eo1_400.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now if we compare to other situations:

GSP not in a particularly good position either, and not know for a godly chin survived an extended mauling by Hendricks through out the fight.
gsp%2Bclinch%2Bgif.gif

Koscheck.
tumblr_m3pyy81XsK1qlskhvo1_500.gifv

Lawler hit clean twice, a good chin historically but remember what Woodley did to both Koscheck and Lawler (although Lawler fought Woodley a bit later, and the then situation was similar to the first 2 gifs of Hendricks)
EO4J.gif
Leaning away takes some force off of a punch, so you’re wrong about that. Shot placement is the key to a KO which is why you guard your temple and chin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back